U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,689 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving into the area soonish. We will be living rather close to the Glenmont metro station. We are renting initially. She has been to the area and based on her visit we went ahead and picked a place to rent.

I'm seeing a lot of tough comments on the area on this and other boards. So I was hoping some folks might be able to just tell me
a little about the area. She'd be walking to the
Metro for work. I work in education now and hope to find a similar job when we move, so info on schools would be useful.

Apologies for what appears to me to be screwy formatting. I'm typing this out on an iPhone! And thank you for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 16,014 times
I've lived in Glenmont for a few years. This area has definitely had its ups and downs. Right now the community is mostly made up of older folks who have been here since the 50s and 60s and a lot of blue-collar newcomers, many of them Hispanic immigrants. One of the biggest problems in the area is gang activity - MS13, Latin Kings, etc., including vandalism, fights, etc. I understand a lot of the violence is gang-on-gang, but still...I've heard of neighbors opening their drapes to see a big crowd of hoodlums across the street getting ready to rumble. My husband and I have had our car windows broken a couple of times (nothing stolen), but I honestly don't know who did it - other than that, we haven't been personally affected.

Before you go away thinking that Glenmont is a hopeless gang warfare zone, there is a very active community organization, the GGCA, that's working very hard to turn things around. They've set up a neighborhood watch, an adopt-a-road program, and biannual community festivals. Crime has dropped 15% since we started the crime watch. GGCA recently won some grant $$ to beautify the area (we'll be adding some Welcome to Glenmont signs, etc.). And they're working on revitalizing the outdated Glenmont shopping area to be a bit more inviting. You can visit the GGCA web site here: Home Page.

As far as my day-to-day experience, I feel fairly safe. I've walked to the Metro every day and have never had anyone bother me. Nobody's ever tried to break into our house or anything - even when I accidentally leave the keys in the door! I tend to think of Glenmont as basically a good community that needs some real TLC, but maybe that's just because I'm involved in the neighborhood association. If there weren't some good civic-minded individuals here, I'd feel more pessimistic about the whole situation.

Please look up the GGCA as soon as you settle in - we'd love to have your input.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:41 PM

165 posts, read 534,794 times
Default A bit gritty in spots, but fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingsouth702 View Post
My wife and I are moving into the area soonish. We will be living rather close to the Glenmont metro station. We are renting initially. She has been to the area and based on her visit we went ahead and picked a place to rent.

I'm seeing a lot of tough comments on the area on this and other boards. So I was hoping some folks might be able to just tell me
a little about the area. She'd be walking to the
Metro for work. I work in education now and hope to find a similar job when we move, so info on schools would be useful.

Apologies for what appears to me to be screwy formatting. I'm typing this out on an iPhone! And thank you for any info.
Comments are tough because the community is "evolving". Agree with the other poster that there is a mix of long-time residents and new residents specifically Hispanic immigrants. Some people have issues with it while others don't--this will depend on you. Accross from the metro is a "non-picturesque" shopping center with a CVS, Chinese restaurant, bank, McDonald's, Shopper's grocery store, gas station etc. There are large apartment complexes along Layhill Rd and Glenallan Ave and alot of people who live there obviously commute on the Metro. There is a park just down the way on Layhill and a fire station and police substation are nearby on Randolph. Actually there is a very stable and pretty nice chunk of homes on Layhill between Georgia and Bonifant/Bel Pre Rd--very residential middle-class scene.

Randolph & Georgia Ave is a seriously busy intersection especially during rush hour time. Stained Glass Pub on Layhill is a local watering hole--I've been in there a few times and it's the kind of place where the bartenders usually know everyone who comes through the door.

I would say that if you employ common sense good habits with regard to yourself and property you should be fine.

C.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:31 PM

22,318 posts, read 23,539,181 times
Like someone said, the homes to the north are in a fine area. But the apartments near the Glenmont metro are too iffy for me. I wouldn't want my wife or kids hanging around in those neighborhoods. Those areas have deteriorated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland