Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,325 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have been scanning through the threads all over this forum and a good many questions have been answered. Thank you all for your time and attention to the questions that have been posted over the last few years.

I am in discussions for a job that is based in Hyattsville - but involves work along the 95/BW Parkway within PG County. So, now I have to think about my family.

Here is the deal - we are about as cracker as they come. My wife is from rural New Hampshire, I'm from rural PA. We live in a small town (under 15,000 ppl) that has no chain stores. Part of the idea of moving to the PG area is that we can be close to the activities and shopping. However, at our core we are not really city dwellers. (In an ideal world we have forty acres and a farmhouse, but the jobs aren't shaking out that way.)

We have a 2.5yr old and a 1mo old. We have a yellow lab and we like to get outside quite often. It would be ideal to have a place that is somewhat liberal on the political spectrum (but not critical) and a place to have a small garden.

I had considered living in places like Mt. Airy or Frederick - but that commute would be hell - and I wouldn't even be going into the city! I kept on glancing at Greenbelt, but I'm not wild about the condo idea (I do love the little walkable core area). Anything within the beltway seems too urban. I can't get a feel for Laurel. Bowie might work, but not sure.

It seems as though there are there options:
1) Small house (>1000 sq ft), small yard, close to transit
2) Middle sized house (800-1200 sq ft), medium sized yard (1/2 acre), long commute
3) Small condo (800 sq ft), smaller yard, walkable/less crime

We aren't terribly worried about school, but a good elementary school would be nice. I'm willing to work with the issues, but crime is the one thing that just scares the ca-ca out of this rural liberal guy...

I can work with prices (where we live now, we are paying $1850 for a two bedroom). It would be nice to buy, but not critical.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on living somewhere else and commuting; on buying in the area; and generally what to expect out of this situation.

Thanks so much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 03:14 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Hi. I'd look at Bowie, Cheverly, Berwyn Heights, College Park, University Park, Beltsville and Glenn Dale in addition to Greenbelt. Some areas are pricier than others, but explore all the options. The areas that would have the most open space and appear the most rural (Brandywine, Upper Marlboro, Baden, Aquasco, Croom -- I think you'll probably like these) are a bit far from the Hyattsville area. But they may be doable.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:49 PM

150 posts, read 596,023 times
Depending on your budget you might be able to afford some of the less dense areas of Southern Howard and Eastern Montgomery Counties, these areas however are very expensive. Less expensive, yet less desirable would be the not-so-dense areas in an round Bowie and points south between the Beltway and US-301. Anything farther from these areas would give you an unbearable commute. If you are willing to go more suburban I would suggest reasonably priced areas like Silver Spring, College Park or Greenbelt, this way the commute is way sorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland