Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,019 times

Advertisements

Hi - Im moving to DC soon and looking for a place to live. Im a 24-year old recent college grad starting a new career. Im moving from Milwaukee, WI where I have a good job, but its not doing it for me so I found my dream job in DC with a consulting firm.

Basically my biggest concern is finding people to hang out with, since I only know a few people in the area being a midwestern boy. I want to know where there are other people in my position: young professionals or grad students who are willing to make new friends and have adventures. It would be nice to meet people with similar interests too. Im a little bit of a hippy, obsessed with music and stuff. Still got that college partying streak too. Would love to meet some musicians.

One of the reasons Im excited about DC is that I have heard it attracts so many young, interesting, intellectual-type folks, which I pretend to be pretty often. So where do those people live/hang out? Nightlife / culture is important too. Not looking for the wild 3-story bar filled with Jersey-shore types but rather the cultural gems, the music, the scene.

My price range is wide, because I know DC is expensive. I would pony up if the place was right. I would do a one-Br but I think I found a roommate to make a 2Br cheaper.

So does anyone have any advice? Should I be looking near capitol hill for the staffer-types? Or more around U St / Adams-Morgan? Pretty clueless at this point.

Really appreciate anyone's response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 08:04 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,378,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasd33 View Post
Hi - Im moving to DC soon and looking for a place to live. Im a 24-year old recent college grad starting a new career. Im moving from Milwaukee, WI where I have a good job, but its not doing it for me so I found my dream job in DC with a consulting firm.

Basically my biggest concern is finding people to hang out with, since I only know a few people in the area being a midwestern boy. I want to know where there are other people in my position: young professionals or grad students who are willing to make new friends and have adventures. It would be nice to meet people with similar interests too. Im a little bit of a hippy, obsessed with music and stuff. Still got that college partying streak too. Would love to meet some musicians.

One of the reasons Im excited about DC is that I have heard it attracts so many young, interesting, intellectual-type folks, which I pretend to be pretty often. So where do those people live/hang out? Nightlife / culture is important too. Not looking for the wild 3-story bar filled with Jersey-shore types but rather the cultural gems, the music, the scene.

My price range is wide, because I know DC is expensive. I would pony up if the place was right. I would do a one-Br but I think I found a roommate to make a 2Br cheaper.

So does anyone have any advice? Should I be looking near capitol hill for the staffer-types? Or more around U St / Adams-Morgan? Pretty clueless at this point.

Really appreciate anyone's response!
Capitol Hill, Georgetown, maybe Dupont are the only places in DC you need to look at. Avoid hipster hangouts like Columbia Heights/Mt. Pleasant/U, you will not find many educated people in those places. I hate to agree with Rhinestone on anything but if it comes down to money you would be much better off with a roommate in any of the first three places I mentioned than in a place by yourself anywhere else in DC.

Last edited by stars99; 06-26-2010 at 08:25 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 10:00 PM

228 posts, read 916,788 times
Naturally OrlandoRE is completely off base... Dupont and Georgetown are well established, wealthy communities, but are not really the locus of young, post-college folks. Look at U-Street, Columbia Heights, Petworth, or H Street. These areas have more music venues, art venues, and cheap eats than other areas. Adams-Morgan certainly has a lot of nightlife, but has become pretty rowdy in the last few years - there are other neighborhoods that I prefer. But that's just me.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:37 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,444,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Avoid hipster hangouts like Columbia Heights/Mt. Pleasant/U, you will not find many educated people in those places.
Also avoid Orlando, you will only find vapid misinformed forum trolls there.

Last edited by KStreetQB; 06-26-2010 at 10:48 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 03:52 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,649,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Capitol Hill, Georgetown, maybe Dupont are the only places in DC you need to look at. Avoid hipster hangouts like Columbia Heights/Mt. Pleasant/U, you will not find many educated people in those places. I hate to agree with Rhinestone on anything but if it comes down to money you would be much better off with a roommate in any of the first three places I mentioned than in a place by yourself anywhere else in DC.
Swing and a miss.
Seriously. Stop. You're embarrassing yourself. Just so you know for future misguided advice, Columbia Heights, Mt. Pleasant and U Street have no hipsters.

To the OP - Orlando hasn't visited DC in well over a decade but offers bad advice to people asking serious questions just to get a rise out of locals. You'll meet 20 somethings everywhere. DC is full of them and they gravitate to the major nightlife destinations. jm67 covered it pretty well.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:54 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,378,719 times
OK, I made a mistake, the OP said he is a hippy, looking to party. But from another part of his post, it sounded like he wanted to be around real, educated people with careers--that's why I recommended those other neighborhoods. I misread the post because I only skimmed it. I apologizde.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC