Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:37 PM

331 posts, read 903,954 times

Advertisements

If I had too choose any of them I'd be Deanwood. Its really a slow paced part of the city that borders an industrial part of PG county and for the most part, its stuck in the 90's. There has been new homes popping up but for the most part the area around Deanwood station feels like Mayberry. I think that area will always be blue collared. Unless some serious development kicks off and some housing projects are torn down I don't see anything going for it.

Now the area around Minnesota Ave station looks like a pretty easy job. With the completion of the new DC Department of Employment services building as well as the new metro parking garage and the condo buildings that are under construction as we speak at the corner of Benning and Minnesota ave, it has the potential to be booming like Columbia Heights, but still standalone in its own category since the area its in has a very different feel from the rest of the hot spots in D.C.

Here goes some projects that will soon be underway in that area:
DMPED: Kenilworth Parkside (http://dcbiz.dc.gov/dmped/cwp/view,A,1365,Q,606007.asp - broken link)
http://planning.dc.gov/planning/lib/planning/retail_action_strategy/ras_2_benningminnesota.pdf (broken link)
Reserve public land for a street connection at Minnesota and Benning - Greater Greater Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post

Now the area around Minnesota Ave station looks like a pretty easy job. With the completion of the new DC Department of Employment services building as well as the new metro parking garage and the condo buildings that are under construction as we speak at the corner of Benning and Minnesota ave, it has the potential to be booming like Columbia Heights, but still standalone in its own category since the area its in has a very different feel from the rest of the hot spots in D.C.

Here goes some projects that will soon be underway in that area:
DMPED: Kenilworth Parkside (http://dcbiz.dc.gov/dmped/cwp/view,A,1365,Q,606007.asp - broken link)
http://planning.dc.gov/planning/lib/planning/retail_action_strategy/ras_2_benningminnesota.pdf (broken link)
Reserve public land for a street connection at Minnesota and Benning - Greater Greater Washington
To gentrify, you need to be within at least 10 blocks of "post gentrified" area. That's the only reason U Street & Col. Heights changed. No one is going to move way out to Minnesota Ave.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
To gentrify, you need to be within at least 10 blocks of "post gentrified" area. That's the only reason U Street & Col. Heights changed. No one is going to move way out to Minnesota Ave.
and that new streetcar line thats coming to that area will spark up development.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
I think you'll sooner see gentrification in Anacostia, mainly the areas near Bolling AFB and St Elizabeths. Especially since DHS is gonna be moving its headquarters to where St Elizabeths is.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:35 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,972 times
Poplar Point

Poplar Point EIS

Old 07-30-2010, 09:50 AM

845 posts, read 2,831,007 times
Currently, the best neighborhood "east of the river" I would say is Hillcrest - East Washington Heights. Very dignified old homes on large shaded leafy lots. Try going (by car or bus) out Penn. Ave. over the Sousa Bridge, and then turn right on 31st street which leads to the winding "Westover Drive" - very upper-class looking. Unfortunately, the nearby schools and shopping are another matter.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:55 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
It will be decades before "gentrification" reaches far-out NE and SE neighborhoods such as Deanwood and Congress Heights--if it happens at all. Poplar Point and areas just across the Anacostia from Hill East and Kenilworth I could see happening sooner.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Hillcrest is a hidden gem over there.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Hillcrest is a hidden gem over there.
It is indeed, that and Ft. Dupont. Low crime, safe, and pretty upscale for the area its in. Most people I know travel into PG county for shopping though because the immediate area that borders it is terrible.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
It will be decades before "gentrification" reaches far-out NE and SE neighborhoods such as Deanwood and Congress Heights--if it happens at all. Poplar Point and areas just across the Anacostia from Hill East and Kenilworth I could see happening sooner.
Agree. There is nothing to do in those areas, & not close to anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC