U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 12:52 PM

11 posts, read 29,385 times

Advertisements

I read a few posts and generally got the feeling SE isn't a great place to move. I'm seriously tired of commuting an hour and a half into the city (one way) and decided I want to move closer. I don't want to spend more than 1600-1800 max and found some places closer to the navy yard. The plus for me is my commute would become 10-15 one way mins. One place in particular, the Onyx, sounds intriguing. Although I've lived in the suburbs all my life, growing up I was told to stay away from SE. I realize they are revitalizing the area and the fact that it may be quiet is a plus. My main concern is safety, however since I don't know that area well, how far the grocery stores are, would I be ok to walk outside after dark if I worked late? Will a taxi take me home to that area? I don't know if cab drivers write off everything that isn't considered "Capital Hill." Any advice would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,437,166 times
Navy Yard is okay. That is considered upper Southeast by many. You should be fine with basic city sense. There are no grocery stores that I know of in that area though. However, you are one metro stop from Safeway in Southwest Waterfront

Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM

605 posts, read 2,022,800 times
You really can't judge an entire quadrant of a city. Even NW with its profusion of great neighborhoods isn't uniformly safe and wonderful. Yes, Navy Yard might have a SE address, but it's not east of the Anacostia River. My parents have had a SE address for over 20 years, and at no time has their neighborhood ever been particularly seedy or unsafe.

The Onyx Apartments are basically part of the new development that's gone up at the ballpark. Since the economic slowdown kicked in almost immediately after construction finished for a lot of the new buildings, it's unclear what the neighborhood will become and how soon amenities will come to residents. So far, most development has been residential with some new office space having gone in. The location is, however, just on the other side of the SE/SW Freeway from Barracks Row and Eastern Market where there are plenty of shops, restaurants, etc. If I were a single gal walking alone, I'd have no problem taking a walk up there during the day. I haven't strayed far from the ballpark at night, so I can't really speak to what that's like. I imagine, though, if you walk east along L and north on 8th that you'll pass by plenty of Marines at most times of day. The fairly regular pedestrian traffic must help with safety.

In terms of groceries, there is a Safeway about five blocks away near the Waterfront SEU Metro. A slightly further trek away is Harris Teeter on the 1300 block of Pennsylvania Avenue near the Potomac Avenue Metro. There's also a Yes! Organic Market on the 700 block of Pennsylvania. For DC that's a pretty good amount of choice within a relatively short distance.

I don't think you'd have any issue getting a cab. The apartment is also only 1-1/2 blocks from the Navy Yard Metro and about a half block from a Circulator bus stop.

I do, however, see two potential drawbacks to the Onyx. Anywhere in that immediate area you have to be prepared to deal with ballpark traffic and noise for half the year. The other drawback is that the units are similar in price and size to some one bedroom apartments in more popular neighborhoods like the Avalon at Gallery Place or Washington House in Adams Morgan; you might get a better value somewhere else.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 PM

29,782 posts, read 28,717,155 times
I would not recommend it. That area is sorta lame.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,982,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condogirl View Post
One place in particular, the Onyx, sounds intriguing. .

YouTube - onyx video

Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 PM

3,303 posts, read 10,928,003 times
It's quiet, and mostly just residential and office buildings, but safety-wise is fine. I have issues ordering a cab to pick up at my place (SW Waterfront, just across South Capitol), but if you find a taxi stand nearby then it's not an issue (go to a hotel). As far as getting a cab to take me home, it's never been an issue.

There's a new Safeway and CVS at the Waterfront station that are both pretty nice, and I always see people walking over from the Navy Yard area. Supposedly they're going to build a new Harris Teeter or something in the Navy Yard, but who knows how long that'll take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: