U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 PM

29 posts, read 82,106 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Detroit, so I don't scare easy. And I found the perfect, spacious apartment on Rhode Island Ave. NE -- a short bus ride or moderate walk to the metro.

However, I'm still a young, 20-something woman who works into the evenings. Will I be safe here? Unbiased folks who ACTUALLY have been to NE/SE (not just Eastern Market, Capitol Hill) please. I work in NW/Dupont Circle, near Georgetown, but places like that are out of my budget, and I must find somewhere to live this month.

Thank you kindly for your advice
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,437,609 times
Honestly, Rhode Island gets a little rough close to the metro but I know a few women who do make it. I haven't spent enough time there during the come and go times to make a fair assessment about overall safety though.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:42 AM

21 posts, read 58,721 times
Well, I've lived in the RI NE area for almost 3 years, and in NE DC for almost 5. Currently, I own a house in Brookland. The area around the RI Ave metro is certainly not the worst area, but not the best either. The area is on the upswing though. New luxury apartments/shops are being built at the metro, and a condo developer just bought an old abandoned building at 3rd and RI NE and is rehabbing as luxury condos. Also, EYA is building new luxury townhomes nearby near Trinity College.

I have spent a lot of time at the Home Depot at the RI Ave metro, and the Giant there is my regular grocery store. I shop in the Foreman Mills shopping center too sometimes, I was just there last night. I've never had a problem in anywhere in the area, I think it is relatively safe, as long as you practice general big city safety skills, ie mind your own business and be aware of your surroundings/people around you, etc. Don't walk around with a lot of bling on display or look like a target. If you act like you belong and carry yourself as such, that goes a long way. Compared to Detroit? You should have no problem here.

FWIW, I am a white, 33 year old male.

What apartment? There are a number of complexes on RI Ave that have a bad reputation. Brookland Manor at RI and 13th is notoriously bad. Edgewood Terrace behind Foreman Mills is very bad too. There are some smaller buildings around there that are ok.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,437,609 times
Offtopic but I love Brookland. I have spent a lot of time in that area. It is one of the few true middle class neighborhoods left in DC.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Offtopic but I love Brookland. I have spent a lot of time in that area. It is one of the few true middle class neighborhoods left in DC.
Thanks for the compliment on my neighborhood. I like it here too.

Other neighborhoods of NE are nice too, Woodridge, Michigan Park, even around Ft Totten, they're all pretty nice middle class neighborhoods. The parts of NE that have a bad reputation lie in between RI Ave and FL Ave (Brentwood, Carver Terrace, Ivy City, the whole NY Ave/Bladensburg NE corridor) and east of the Anacostia (Deanwood, the whole Benning/Minnesota Ave area).

Old 09-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward 5 Rez View Post
What apartment? There are a number of complexes on RI Ave that have a bad reputation. Brookland Manor at RI and 13th is notoriously bad. Edgewood Terrace behind Foreman Mills is very bad too. There are some smaller buildings around there that are ok.
It's the Edwards apartment building.

And you offered a lot of great, sensible advice. Thanks .

Old 09-08-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creolehottie View Post
It's the Edwards apartment building.

And you offered a lot of great, sensible advice. Thanks .
Not sure about that exact building, I would just make sure you look at it good before you sign a lease. It looks nice enough on the outside. That building is further down RI, that area is not that bad, once you get off RI Ave, especially to the north, the neighborhood gets quite nice (Brookland is the area north of RI Ave). RI Ave can look a little rough, but I think it's relatively safe.

The main thing is to keep an eye on the groups of kids you may see at the metro.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward 5 Rez View Post
Not sure about that exact building, I would just make sure you look at it good before you sign a lease. It looks nice enough on the outside. That building is further down RI, that area is not that bad, once you get off RI Ave, especially to the north, the neighborhood gets quite nice (Brookland is the area north of RI Ave). RI Ave can look a little rough, but I think it's relatively safe.

The main thing is to keep an eye on the groups of kids you may see at the metro.
Thanks again! I feel a lot better about living in the apartment now (btw, it's been very well-maintained; all hardwood floors ... I'd never find this at a good price in MD, where I am now).

Old 10-17-2013, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creolehottie View Post
Thanks again! I feel a lot better about living in the apartment now (btw, it's been very well-maintained; all hardwood floors ... I'd never find this at a good price in MD, where I am now).
I know this post is like 3 yrs old and I'm not sure if you actually moved in but I wanted to know how the neighborhood actually was since being there 3 yrs ago. I was thinking about moving into the Edward building in Dec.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,906,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely_me View Post
I know this post is like 3 yrs old and I'm not sure if you actually moved in but I wanted to know how the neighborhood actually was since being there 3 yrs ago. I was thinking about moving into the Edward building in Dec.
What's the address? I know the area fairly well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC