U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM

15 posts, read 74,868 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm tossing up between DC and a few other places to move to this coming January. I have an Associate's Degree in Business, and I am doing a distance program through one of my local universities in order to finish my Bachelor's in Accounting. After which I plan on sitting for the CPA exams, therefore being able to land some sort of work in a CPA firm, whether it's as soon as I arrive or within a year, would be extremely advantageous for me. As for the basics:

Rentals:

I'll probably be doing what I am doing right now, that is renting someone's spare room. I have 2 cats with me, and I do appreciate having enough space in the living room to do my yoga DVDs. That said, are my cats going to present a problem when it comes to me renting? How much would I expect to pay for the living standard I described? How many months' rent would I normally need to move into a new place? And are there any parts of town I should avoid?

Food:

I'm not a gourmet snob, but I'm not the type to skimp on added expenses of eating healthy either. That said, how much would my weekly grocery bill probably run?

My Car:

Is public transport sufficient enough in the area around DC for me to not need a car?

Jobs:

Arriving with an Associate's, what kind of jobs could I expect to land and what would the pay be like? If I can't get work in a CPA firm immediately, how is the temp agancy environment in DC? And any other knowledge, especially that particular to my field, is appreciated.

Thanks for any and all advice you can give me,
Mia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:45 PM

21 posts, read 58,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyKitten View Post
Hi, I'm tossing up between DC and a few other places to move to this coming January. I have an Associate's Degree in Business, and I am doing a distance program through one of my local universities in order to finish my Bachelor's in Accounting. After which I plan on sitting for the CPA exams, therefore being able to land some sort of work in a CPA firm, whether it's as soon as I arrive or within a year, would be extremely advantageous for me. As for the basics:

Rentals:

I'll probably be doing what I am doing right now, that is renting someone's spare room. I have 2 cats with me, and I do appreciate having enough space in the living room to do my yoga DVDs. That said, are my cats going to present a problem when it comes to me renting? How much would I expect to pay for the living standard I described? How many months' rent would I normally need to move into a new place? And are there any parts of town I should avoid?

Food:

I'm not a gourmet snob, but I'm not the type to skimp on added expenses of eating healthy either. That said, how much would my weekly grocery bill probably run?

My Car:

Is public transport sufficient enough in the area around DC for me to not need a car?

Jobs:

Arriving with an Associate's, what kind of jobs could I expect to land and what would the pay be like? If I can't get work in a CPA firm immediately, how is the temp agancy environment in DC? And any other knowledge, especially that particular to my field, is appreciated.

Thanks for any and all advice you can give me,
Mia
I'm not sure on the salary range of a job with an assoicates degree in business, but I will say that this is a highly educated area, where a 4 year degree is pretty much a requirement to get anything decent.

The job market is much better here than much of the country, you can get by without a car if you live in DC itself, elsewhere not as much.

Food doesn't cost dramatically more here, IMO.

Rents/housing costs here are high. A private bedroom will run you 500-600 in an ok area, and 1000 or more in a really nice area. Cats will be a case by case basis. There are a lot of listings on craigslist, so you can probably find one that will take cats.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC