Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the Frizz is a very hilly city. DC's practically Omaha compared to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Take a breath... It'll be okay. I've lived here for many years, walk up and down hills regularly, and still wouldn't put DC on my list of "hilly cities". A few undulations does not a San Francisco make. There are places where the hills are a major part of the culture and life of the city, not just minor ups and downs that are glossed over. Perhaps I've just lived in truly hilly places that give me a skewed perspective.
Your pespective is more than skewed if you do not notice the hills around here. Never said anything about San Francisco, although some of the folks here probably think its flat as a board.

One more time- DC is in a valley. Valleys have hills. That is never been disputed by anyone.

Until now.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I guess I must have been hallucinating from the heat and missed all the trees downtown, around the capital, the mall, Constitution Ave. and L'enfant Plaza.
I see. You take a look at a few scant acres and loudmouth a conclusion.

Actually, there are trees on the Mall and around the Capitol. Not to mention the famed cherry blossoms on the Tidal Basin. And there are many more throught the residential areas of the city.

Its not a question of hallucinating. Its simply a question of being factually incorrect.

btw- the "Plaza" in L'Enfant Plaza should tip you off to something. It ain't called Le Jardin de L'Enfant.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Your pespective is more than skewed if you do not notice the hills around here. Never said anything about San Francisco, although some of the folks here probably think its flat as a board.

One more time- DC is in a valley. Valleys have hills. That is never been disputed by anyone.

Until now.
You're certainly a condescending, ornery little bugger, aren't ya? DC was built on a swamp. The entire original city is basically flat, then it goes up a little hill to Columbia Heights / Adams Morgan where the wealthy used to summer to escape the swampy summer heat. East of the river has some more terrain to it, but not much. Some nice views, though. Perhaps if you move to a hilly city (one in which people's daily commutes are determined by the weather / their own energy for facing the terrain), you'll understand what I mean. Hills are an after-thought here.

And as for your rude face smack, please visit, for example, Florida, Louisiana, or Texas, stand between two rivers, and tell me about all the massive hills that allegedly automatically exist between rivers.

This is a silly sub-topic, so I won't be responding again. Best to you.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:09 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Escape the heat? the entire area might as well be in Vietnam during the summer.

And the swamp thing's a bit of an urban legend

DC Mythbusting: Built on a Swamp? » We Love DC

Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
You're certainly a condescending, ornery little bugger, aren't ya? DC was built on a swamp. The entire original city is basically flat, then it goes up a little hill to Columbia Heights / Adams Morgan where the wealthy used to summer to escape the swampy summer heat. East of the river has some more terrain to it, but not much. Some nice views, though. Perhaps if you move to a hilly city (one in which people's daily commutes are determined by the weather / their own energy for facing the terrain), you'll understand what I mean. Hills are an after-thought here.

And as for your rude face smack, please visit, for example, Florida, Louisiana, or Texas, stand between two rivers, and tell me about all the massive hills that allegedly automatically exist between rivers.

This is a silly sub-topic, so I won't be responding again. Best to you.
You won't be responding again? Well thank the maker for small favors.

No matter. Do this. Learn:

Go to Georgetown. Then walk, bike, drive, take the Metrobus, whatever, north on Wisconsin Avenue. Observe how the terrain is in an upward slope? That...is...called...a...HILL.

Now go to Tenleytown. Look up at Fort Reno? That's another Hill, and quite a big one too.

Finally, go to the Arboretum. Look down this time towards the Anacostia River. You are looking down. Why? Cuz you're on a hill, cuz.

I could offer more examples. but if you do not know a hill when you see one...

Old 10-12-2010, 02:42 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
I don't think anyone is denying the existance of hills in DC. I think what some have a problem with, including myself, is the use of the word "hilly". Hilly to me means numerous hills concentrated in one area. DC does not have this. You brought up good examples but I still say that DC just is simply NOT hilly. Is it flat like the Midwest? No. Is DC hilly? Also no.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't think anyone is denying the existance of hills in DC. I think what some have a problem with, including myself, is the use of the word "hilly". Hilly to me means numerous hills concentrated in one area. DC does not have this. You brought up good examples but I still say that DC just is simply NOT hilly. Is it flat like the Midwest? No. Is DC hilly? Also no.
I beg to differ. DC is around 68 square miles. There are numerous hills within that 68 square miles. By your own definition, the city is hilly. The evidence is vast and I have already listed some of many examples. Would you like more?

DC is built in a valley. Within that valley are smaller valleys (Rock Creek, Soapstone Valley, Spring Valley, etc). Valleys are characterized by slopes and hills. Hence, the city has many, many hills and is thus "hilly." Had they build it in the Great Plains, it would be flat. And I suspect more than a few people here would debate that as well.

I cannot fathom why this is so controversial. Its like trying to convince people that there are palm trees in Honolulu.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:11 PM

207 posts, read 537,507 times
This is funny as HELL!! Okay, sorry I brought up the hills. I changed it to inclines because I have been to places like Cincinatti and WOW, I almost broke my ankle in heels trying to walk. LOL.

Some places in DC have INCLINES. Okay and done. But you all can keep it going cause I"m loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I beg to differ. DC is around 68 square miles. There are numerous hills within that 68 square miles. By your own definition, the city is hilly. The evidence is vast and I have already listed some of many examples. Would you like more?

DC is built in a valley. Within that valley are smaller valleys (Rock Creek, Soapstone Valley, Spring Valley, etc). Valleys are characterized by slopes and hills. Hence, the city has many, many hills and is thus "hilly." Had they build it in the Great Plains, it would be flat. And I suspect more than a few people here would debate that as well.

I cannot fathom why this is so controversial. Its like trying to convince people that there are palm trees in Honolulu.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:10 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Quote:
..There are still a lot of trees on those properties, but I guess they aren't overhanging the sidewalks and there's a lot of open space, so that's probably what you noticed.
Exactly! I thought that when I said it's 150 degrees along the wide streets lined with gleaming white buildings it was obvious that I wasn't referring to the center of Rock Creek Park being treeless. Apparently I was too ambiguous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC