Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 06:54 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

I think the high COL in the 'acceptable' areas of DC, and the high crime rates in the low COL areas already is a major deterrant.

Maybe a better option would to provide more density and housing options in the suburban areas...and making the high crime areas safe enough for newcomers to live in in the urban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think the high COL in the 'acceptable' areas of DC, and the high crime rates in the low COL areas already is a major deterrant.

Maybe a better option would to provide more density and housing options in the suburban areas...and making the high crime areas safe enough for newcomers to live in in the urban areas.
Agree. Too segregated and too big of a gap between rich and poor in DC.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:10 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
The city needs a massive tree planting program. I was there over Labor Day weekend. With the wide streets, large plazas, gleaming white buildings, and lack of trees I think it was somewhere around 150 degrees walking around the city. DC desperately needs more shade.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:49 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
I think it depends on what part of the city you are in. Some parts have plenty of mature trees like Cleveland Park while a few other places could use some more trees. Downtown comes to mind but lots of trees in a dense business area seems counter productive.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
The city needs a massive tree planting program. I was there over Labor Day weekend. With the wide streets, large plazas, gleaming white buildings, and lack of trees I think it was somewhere around 150 degrees walking around the city. DC desperately needs more shade.
What are you talking about? DC is one of the greenest, tree-friendly cities around.

And who are these people claiming DC is not hilly? Have they seen Mount St Alban, Fort Reno, Capitol Hill, the Rock Creek Valley, the Potomac Valley, or Batter Kemble? DC as a whole is located in a valley of two rivers. How in the name of God could it not be hilly?

Some of you might actually want to spend some time here before offering "analysis." Maybe I will write some comments on Praetoria. Never been, but what difference would it make?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
What are you talking about? DC is one of the greenest, tree-friendly cities around.
It could be better, and I agree with the other poster that we need MORE green and trees in the downtown area.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:22 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
I guess I must have been hallucinating from the heat and missed all the trees downtown, around the capital, the mall, Constitution Ave. and L'enfant Plaza.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times
Quote:
I guess I must have been hallucinating from the heat and missed all the trees downtown, around the capital, the mall, Constitution Ave. and L'enfant Plaza.
I just came back from Portland Oregon. Trust me... that's a green city with huge green trees everywhere downtown. It would be real cool of DC had that much green growth. DC still is very good though on the green, but the mall is deteriorating, and many of the neighborhood trees I find small and to some degree not well kept. It's still pretty good but could be better.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
That must have been it because DC's one of the greenest cities in the country. But the areas you're referencing are mostly federal lands where the tourists congregate, so the city has no real control over them. There are still a lot of trees on those properties, but I guess they aren't overhanging the sidewalks and there's a lot of open space, so that's probably what you noticed.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

And who are these people claiming DC is not hilly? Have they seen Mount St Alban, Fort Reno, Capitol Hill, the Rock Creek Valley, the Potomac Valley, or Batter Kemble? DC as a whole is located in a valley of two rivers. How in the name of God could it not be hilly?

Some of you might actually want to spend some time here before offering "analysis." Maybe I will write some comments on Praetoria. Never been, but what difference would it make?
Take a breath... It'll be okay. I've lived here for many years, walk up and down hills regularly, and still wouldn't put DC on my list of "hilly cities". A few undulations does not a San Francisco make. There are places where the hills are a major part of the culture and life of the city, not just minor ups and downs that are glossed over. Perhaps I've just lived in truly hilly places that give me a skewed perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC