Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 AM

26 posts, read 96,490 times

Advertisements

I am looking at renting rooms on 1st and R Streets NW. I am a male in my 20s. How safe would it be for me to walk from there to NY Ave metro at night by myself? How about Shaw metro? I want to get a lot of opinions if possible, because it seems like there are diverse opinions about this.

Also, I like to take a 20-30 walk after dinner listening to podcasts on my iPod. I start the walk at 8 at the latest, so a lot of times that would mean walking at night. Would there be any route nearby I could do this and still be safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catquas View Post
I am looking at renting rooms on 1st and R Streets NW. I am a male in my 20s. How safe would it be for me to walk from there to NY Ave metro at night by myself? How about Shaw metro? I want to get a lot of opinions if possible, because it seems like there are diverse opinions about this.
Bloomingdale is a really nice neighborhood, but still has a moderate criminal element. If you're aware of your surroundings, it's a safe place to live. I actually really like the neighborhood. Plus you'll be next to big bear cafe, which is pretty sweet.

The NY ave and Shaw metros are both 8 or 9 blocks away. Some of those blocks are a little sketchy. You should be fine as long as you're doing it during the normal rush hours. There's a lot of foot traffic around then. If you are coming home late, I would really recommend a cab to be safe.

I live 1 block from the Shaw metro, and I've never had any problems, but I always take a cab home if I'm working past 9 or so.

Quote:
Also, I like to take a 20-30 walk after dinner listening to podcasts on my iPod. I start the walk at 8 at the latest, so a lot of times that would mean walking at night. Would there be any route nearby I could do this and still be safe?
No. IPods are catnip for muggers. I even put my $30 sony MP3 away before I go out at night. I have had two friends mugged in the last 5 years; both for their I-whatevers.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:10 PM

26 posts, read 96,490 times
Thanks KStreetQB!

I have a couple more questions if you get a chance.

I guess if I wanted to go for a walk with my iPod at night I could just drive somewhere where it is safe like north or west or northwest of Bloomingdale. Do you think Georgetown, say, would be safe with iPods at night?

Also: What are the normal rush hours? Is it safe to listen to an iPod during the day in in the area (like during the walk to work)?

Thanks!

Also: Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Any area that is well lit and has a lot of foot-traffic is your best bet for a liesurely iPod stroll. If you head 14 blocks due west, you're getting into a really safe area (as far as safety in a city goes anyway). Dupont circle/Logan circle neighborhoods are on the way to gtown from you and have plenty of people walking around in the evening.

Rush hours seem to be pretty drawn out here. Maybe 6:30-10 in the morning and 4-7:30 at night? The bookends of those times aren't particularly busy, but there will still be plenty of people walking to and from your metro stops.

I get to work late and stay late to avoid the crush. 10:30 to 7:30 is my normal day, so someone else might have a better handle on that.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
I don't live in DC anymore but visit frequently and stayed up in Bloomingdale just last month. FWIW I agree with everything KStreet said except that I'd add some time to the front end of those rush hour driving commutes and say they can be just as congested depending where you're headed.

You're young and Howard U is right there - if you get to chatting with some students I bet they'll be able to give you some good ideas for your evening walks. It can change block by block around there.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
It's safe. My girlfriend does it every day and night while listening to her iPod.

If you're really concerned about safety, I'd walk to the NY Ave Metro. It's more open, better lit, and R Street is a rather nice stroll from the NE side to the NW side.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:15 PM

12 posts, read 35,457 times
I agree w/ Bajan on that one - NY Metro walk down R and Eckington Place through 'Thomas Circle' is much more pleasant than the one to Shaw. Watch out near lincoln road though - there's a couple liqour stores there that the vagrants have caused trouble around (MPD in D5 has done a pretty good job cleaning it up).

I live in Eckington, but I enjoy both areas - proximity to downtown w/ walkable metro access and to U Street/Logan's when company's in town is nice. And Big Bear makes a great cup of coffee and yogurt (not as good as Swings).

Old 10-23-2010, 02:51 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
Quote:

Do what you want, but I would not be walking around 20001 (day or night) attached to an IPOD, oblivious. Thieves look for someone not paying attention. You need to be 110% on your toes 110% of the time.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:02 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
Do what you want, but I would not be walking around 20001 (day or night) attached to an IPOD, oblivious. Thieves look for someone not paying attention. You need to be 110% on your toes 110% of the time.
When was the last time you've actually been in that area?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:32 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
When was the last time you've actually been in that area?
ffknight, true indeed! I'm sure the mods will delete this, but whatever.

Stars, don't have a clue as to what he/she is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC