U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:18 PM

5,412 posts, read 3,661,913 times

Advertisements

Do you have any idea how long it would take to commute from Baltimore to DC on the "metro" given all the stops? People cal already take Amtrak or the marc. There's no way they would ever extend it, and it would take a year and a day to make the commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM

12,381 posts, read 24,149,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Do you have any idea how long it would take to commute from Baltimore to DC on the "metro" given all the stops? People cal already take Amtrak or the marc. There's no way they would ever extend it, and it would take a year and a day to make the commute.
Actually it would be a grade separated Light Rail with a Express and Local trains , unlike MARC it would have more stops. It would be like the Norristown High Speed Line in SE PA.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:46 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,929,790 times
I don't understand why there isn't a bullet train (like in Japan) that connects baltimore, wash & richmond.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:21 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,131,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
I don't understand why there isn't a bullet train (like in Japan) that connects baltimore, wash & richmond.
I can think of a few hundred billion reasons.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:37 PM

41 posts, read 48,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
I study was already done on that, minus the Richmond part.

The Baltimore-Washington Maglev Project

As you can see that site was made in 2001 and last updated in 2003.
The project was deemed too expensive.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:31 PM

28 posts, read 108,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Bennington View Post
It would have to be a light rail line....with its own right away

Some concept though, at the lower end of the trail the trains can go underground with an underground light rail stop at Wisconsin and M street, the station entrance can be built inside of the Georgetown Park mall on the lower level and another stop at Foggy Bottom station connecting to Orange/Blue/Silver lines.

Stations along the line should be (from south to north):

-Foggy Bottom-GWU (Underground)
-Wisconsin Ave and M street (Underground)
-Georgetown University
-Foxhall*
-Palisades*
-Sibley Memorial
-West Bethesda
-Glen Echo/Cabin John Parkway

I'm kinda skeptical about this line though, I think don't the residents in these area is going to want a rail line in their virtually crime free neighborhoods.
Thanks for looking it over......I was just amazed that most of the rail trail is available to be built on without eminent domain.
It might not be dense along macarthur blvd, but when it got up to the 495, i think enough people would use it to make it viable. There could easily be variations on my idea.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:25 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,364,230 times
Quote:
And the residents would oppose it today.
Ha ha! Just like the Tysons Corner crowd who condemned such public transportation when it was built in favor of their automobile paradise And now they've clamored for and are getting a huge long line that in no way can be accommodated capacity wise with the existing system and will be a disaster operations wise. But of course, no one accuses our politicians of having any sense

I agree with the OP however, but think it would be better as a surface streetcar line, just as it used to be. The right of way is still there. There will be opposition from those who have moved next to the line and have appropriated the r/o/w for their personal property. And they are in Montgomery County's privileged white island fortress of Bethesda Chevy Chase where the rules don't apply when it comes to taxpayer funding or anything that threatens their idyllic lifestyle. (Yours truly used to live outside the white fortress in Silver Spring MD).

Old 10-07-2010, 02:18 PM

8,875 posts, read 11,161,798 times
Quote:
You mean the "yellowish" line in his map? I dont suppose it would be for Balt to DC commuters, as much as for Columbia to DC, and Columbia to Baltimore.

Columbia to DC might be realistic at some point - Isnt 29 down from Columbia pretty congested? I don't know that Columbia to dwntwn Baltimore is though.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:34 AM

28 posts, read 108,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Ha ha! Just like the Tysons Corner crowd who condemned such public transportation when it was built in favor of their automobile paradise And now they've clamored for and are getting a huge long line that in no way can be accommodated capacity wise with the existing system and will be a disaster operations wise. But of course, no one accuses our politicians of having any sense

I agree with the OP however, but think it would be better as a surface streetcar line, just as it used to be. The right of way is still there. There will be opposition from those who have moved next to the line and have appropriated the r/o/w for their personal property. And they are in Montgomery County's privileged white island fortress of Bethesda Chevy Chase where the rules don't apply when it comes to taxpayer funding or anything that threatens their idyllic lifestyle. (Yours truly used to live outside the white fortress in Silver Spring MD).
Just walked over there yesterday.......I don't think the MD part is next to any houses.....they are next to some in dc

Old 11-02-2010, 11:00 AM

12,634 posts, read 18,264,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojopuppyfish View Post
Just walked over there yesterday.......I don't think the MD part is next to any houses.....they are next to some in dc
What in terms of ridership numbers are you predicting? Ignoring the fact that it would be opposed and probably defeated, how about this long shot.

During its dying days, I visited East Berlin. Girl I knew in West Berlin was originally from the East. She took me to her family's house which was just outside East Berlin city limits. After crossing the sector border (i.e. Berlin Wall), we took an S-Bahn (fast rail) to near the city limits.

We then transferred to this....I guess it was a trolley. It was very old and I mean like 1920s vintage (great thing about Communism is lots of antique things never change). It was not very big or long. Maybe two or three cars and somewhat narrow. One train probably held only 50 people. But it barely took up any space in the woods. It glided along this barely noticable track. It was like being in some kind of fairy tale or something. The stops were no more than glorified bus stops. In short, it was a blast and it got us to this semi-wooded "suburb."

Its gone now, but do you think a more modern version of that could work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC