U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,467,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojopuppyfish View Post
According to this book, its a myth that georgtown didn't want a metro.
DC Mythbusting: Georgetown Metro Stop » We Love DC

I just read that account. It just said that there were many factors keeping a metro out of Georgetown, including resident opposition.

The myth is that resident opposition caused metro to revise their existing plans for a station in Georgetown. That's because there were never any existing plans for a metro station in Georgetown.

I'm pretty sure that there will be strong opposition from Georgetown residents for any expansion into the metro today, not because they want to keep poor people out. The reason is that Georgetown is already as developed as resident would like it, it would add much more congestion in an already congested place, and most importantly it would make Georgetown into a massive construction zone for years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 03:34 PM

175 posts, read 237,060 times
I think K street on the lower level by the AMC movie theater is the only place a metro entrance could go, and this would be a really deep station, because of its proximity to the Potomac River.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM

28 posts, read 108,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
What in terms of ridership numbers are you predicting? Ignoring the fact that it would be opposed and probably defeated, how about this long shot.

During its dying days, I visited East Berlin. Girl I knew in West Berlin was originally from the East. She took me to her family's house which was just outside East Berlin city limits. After crossing the sector border (i.e. Berlin Wall), we took an S-Bahn (fast rail) to near the city limits.

We then transferred to this....I guess it was a trolley. It was very old and I mean like 1920s vintage (great thing about Communism is lots of antique things never change). It was not very big or long. Maybe two or three cars and somewhat narrow. One train probably held only 50 people. But it barely took up any space in the woods. It glided along this barely noticable track. It was like being in some kind of fairy tale or something. The stops were no more than glorified bus stops. In short, it was a blast and it got us to this semi-wooded "suburb."

Its gone now, but do you think a more modern version of that could work?
Yeah, I think a trolley like the ones they have in Portland or San Diego or Los Angeles would work.
At first, I started this thread because I was amazed most of the right of way was still there.
But having lived in the area for about a month, and seeing the traffic that goes through that area on Canal and MacArthur Blvd, I'm beginning to believe in terms of useage it might be feasible.....especially if it went all the way from Cabin John Parkway(Beginning at Seven Locks Rd) to Georgetown and ended at Dupont circle (Or whatever metro stop would be the closest)
Remember, most of these people are commuting to downtown dc.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:53 AM

3,547 posts, read 7,803,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
I think K street on the lower level by the AMC movie theater is the only place a metro entrance could go, and this would be a really deep station, because of its proximity to the Potomac River.
I believe that is one of the reasons cited for not building a station in Georgetown--the engineering and logistics would have been very difficult (but not impossible).

There is a movement attempting to get a streetcar line constructed along Wisconsin Avenue: Wisconsin Avenue Streetcar Coalition | Facebook

Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 AM

12,668 posts, read 18,282,031 times
If you want to cop a good laugh, rent the Kevin Costner movie, "No Way Out." Not a bad movie at all. There is one scene where he is being chased by two goons and he runs into the Metro system at the Georgetown Metro Station. The set designers did the perfect sign for it complete with the fonts and stripes, but then he is on Baltimore's systems instead of DC's. Gotta love it.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:54 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,932,370 times
It is imperative that they build Metro. I can't stress enough how important it is.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 PM

3,547 posts, read 7,803,853 times
Quote:
If you want to cop a good laugh, rent the Kevin Costner movie, "No Way Out." Not a bad movie at all. There is one scene where he is being chased by two goons and he runs into the Metro system at the Georgetown Metro Station. The set designers did the perfect sign for it complete with the fonts and stripes, but then he is on Baltimore's systems instead of DC's. Gotta love it.
To me, the funnier movie was the one--I can't recall what it was called--that had Denzel Washington sprinting from the Lincoln Memorial to Union Station--a distance of several miles--in approximately 2 minutes.

The only people I've ever seen do that are those who are about to miss the last Acela to Manhattan.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:04 PM

13,826 posts, read 21,135,653 times
Quote:
I like that movie. Whenever I drive on the Whitehurst I think of that movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC