U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:37 PM

885 posts, read 1,427,973 times

Advertisements

It was all over the news not long ago. 1 out of 50 is HIV positive for this certain ethnic group. Where do these people live?
Rate this post positively

Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,524,460 times
Technically, it was 1.5/50 (3%) and possibly as high as 2.5/50 (5%) according to some estimates..

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM

5,338 posts, read 9,391,171 times
You gotta take these stats with a grain of salt. Anybody you meet and sleep with could be HIV positive whether if your in DC or Provo Utah. Wrap it up and you will be ok! Due diligence is the key.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,543,939 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Wrap it up and you will be ok! Due diligence is the key.
I WAS dating this nice guy. He and I clicked on so many levels. I say was, because he didn't like condoms. Everything was hot and smokin one night. Now, it's condom time. His soldier fainted. I figured, we are still new, so ... During the process of sex, he tried to convince me to allow him to take it off. Huh, umm what. I didn't.

I said, you don't like condoms. Nah, not really. You do, so I will. WTF, dude! I guess it's the, she looks and smell clean. She must be clean.

It's 20 10, are we still not using condoms!!

Like you said, wrap it up.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:25 AM

884 posts, read 2,507,852 times
My husband's aunt has a small church in NE DC. They have a male member that is HIV+. She is the judgemental type so she tries to put a lot of his personal information out on the streets. She told us he brought a woman to church with him one time and he put his arm around him. Aunt told him after service that he was acting in an irresponsible manner and he needed to tell the woman about his medical condition.

Right now it is hitting the African American population at much higher levels but everyone needs to use protection.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 AM

5,338 posts, read 9,391,171 times
Childfree,

Yeah, that would have been a red flag! Like I mentioned, when you meet someone, you have to play detective and look at their patterns, behavior and also lifestyle. People hear these stats and they get frightened. Why??? Get tested, protect yourself at all times. If you are serious about someone, go with them to get tested.

BigBlue,

I didn't fully understand your post! If someone is HIV+, and they don't tell a potential sex partner about their status, I think they can be held criminally liable if they pass the disease to someone. If they are strickly platonic, they don't have to divulge the information. It's their business. You can't get HIV from putting your arm around someone. Some people are so uninformed and also adhere to stereotypes.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:42 AM

884 posts, read 2,507,852 times
I'm sorry.

Aunt assumed the man was having a sexual relationship with the woman he brought to church. For all she knew the woman was just a friend. She doesn't know if this man got HIV from needles or sex but she always has something negative to say about anyone with HIV. Sad thing is that she is a so called minister.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Childfree,

Yeah, that would have been a red flag! Like I mentioned, when you meet someone, you have to play detective and look at their patterns, behavior and also lifestyle. People hear these stats and they get frightened. Why??? Get tested, protect yourself at all times. If you are serious about someone, go with them to get tested.
Yeah, I always ask about everything. I asked about condoms and which he prefer. He said, yes and I prefer .... It wasn't until the deed, he wanted to unleash the monster.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 AM

10,136 posts, read 12,863,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
I WAS dating this nice guy. He and I clicked on so many levels. I say was, because he didn't like condoms. Everything was hot and smokin one night. Now, it's condom time. His soldier fainted. I figured, we are still new, so ... During the process of sex, he tried to convince me to allow him to take it off. Huh, umm what. I didn't.

I said, you don't like condoms. Nah, not really. You do, so I will. WTF, dude! I guess it's the, she looks and smell clean. She must be clean.

It's 20 10, are we still not using condoms!!

Like you said, wrap it up.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you aren't sure of his status than why even put yourself in that position? Some of these people aren't getting HIV by just having unprotected sex. What would have happened if he did have it and the condom broke? I think we have to do a lot more to protect ourselves than to just wearing protection. And if he did have it, and was still trying to have unprotected sex then who's to say what he would have done to you because if he would have that far anything is possible. If you just don't feel comfortable asking him his status, seeing the actual results or if he doesn't feel comfortable talking to you about it then maybe this isn't a good time to have sex.

I think the high rate of premarital, casual sex is being taken for granted far far too often in DC. Sex is a very serious thing and now more than ever you just can't put yourself in that position. Now I know you maybe grown in all, I'm not trying to make you feel bad about what you did, but when I think of the situation you just described I think about so many women that end up trusting the wrong man and getting caught up before its too late. Now that you have rejected him doing that, it may (hopefully it won't) have lasting effects on your relationship. To a man, that looks as if you don't trust him. I can't speak for the guy, but if my woman questioned my status, I would began to wonder what she really thinks about me. Just a thought.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you aren't sure of his status than why even put yourself in that position? .
No problem, meatkins.

He and I talked about our status. I always get tested. He's in the military, so it's mandatory. We both were tested. We sat and discussed our results. I'm never been afraid to talk about STDs, condoms or sex.

The problem was, he knew we were clean. It took the second time for him to ask about losing the condom. Which is always unforunate. He was/is a great guy. It wasn't a casual thing, so I was a little hurt to release him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.