U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 05:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,894 times

Advertisements

I'm an 18 year old kid who just worked on the field team for the Kitzhaber for Governor campaign in Oregon. We won and in the process of doing so I was offered an (unpaid) internship in DC with Congressman Blumenauer (one of our US Representatives) which starts in January. Right now I'm trying to build a budget for my trip out there, I'll be staying for about 3 months. I have a family friend who, once I get this budget together, is willing to try to put together the funds for me to head out there.

So there are a few things I'm trying to figure out:
- Where to live/how much it costs (I'd like to be as close to the capitol building as possible)
- How much food costs over there (living as cheaply as possible)
- What sort of transit I could take over to the capitol building (it's a 9a-5p job)
- A job... I could really use a second job since the internship is unpaid as well

I'm definitely looking myself, but some help would be massively appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 05:47 PM

795 posts, read 1,161,730 times
Cost depends... you could share a place with others and pay $500 to $800 a month for something close to the metro. This will be your friend (dc metro services): Metro - Home page

Food... again, depends... have a place with a fridge, you could do like I do and make trips to super walmart once a month and shop locally the rest of the time. Many of my friends have costco/sams cards as well. Those places make eating fairly cheap. If you like to eat out, there is a budget for everyone, like every place else on earth.

Job... depends on what you do... start with the congressman and your family friend... look online... hmmm whatever.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM

2,149 posts, read 3,900,196 times
Regarding where to live, it depends on your budget. Living in the city is really expensive.

Transit - METRO, METRO, METRO. No matter how horrible the service has been lately, it's cheap and it's the best way to get home, and to work.

Job - holidays are coming up. Definitely look for something in retail. Maybe work weekends?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:47 PM

As far as my budget, I don't want to spend more than 1.5k a month on rent. But I'm trying to find someone to split rent on, which would be massively helpful.

Coming from Portland, I'm used to using public transit, so that's probably what I'll end up using.

And I primarily do graphic design. But I'm just looking for some cheapo part-time job to help with the rent.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 PM

15 posts, read 35,222 times
Definitely use the Metro. As an federal govt intern, you'll probably even qualify for a transit subsidy. (I currently receive one.) For the price range you're talking about for housing, you can find something with one roommate in the Capitol Hill neighborhood which would allow you to walk to work. Start eying Craig's List like a hawk.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:30 PM

Awesome, that's what I'm doing. I've sent out 4 or 5 emails since I posted this and got one response back. They can be pretty thorough over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC