Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:48 PM

41 posts, read 161,690 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to DC where she is set to begin a PhD program at Georgetown University in the fall. She is originally from Spain and, since her father passed-away in May, we are anticipating that my mother-in-law will be visiting us quite often and staying for weeks or months at a time. I would like to find an apartment that is convenient to Georgetown (or the Dupont/Rosslyn metro stations), and located in a safe area with a large Hispanic community. I want my mother-in-law (who is relatively young and does not speak English) to feel as comfortable as possible during her stays with us and maybe even make a few new friends.

I'm also concerned about the cost of rent since we are suddenly looking for a 2-bedroom apartment. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 03:54 PM

470 posts, read 2,095,520 times
How much $$$$ exactly?

I'd recommend downtown silver spring but it's not convenient to the georgetown campus.

I think the area around the Ballston metro might be a good choice.

Bear in mind, the georgetown main campus is a real hike from either Rosslyn or Dupont metro.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:01 PM

Well, we had hoped to stay around $1400-1600 but that was when we we're looking for a 1 bedroom place and hoped to be in the Dupont area. Now that we will need 2 bedrooms, we will probably have to look further outside of the city. The NOVA area seems most convenient to Georgetown but I don't know how far out you need to go before rents become cheaper. Do any of these areas have a notable Hispanic influence?

Georgetown offers a free shuttle from both the Dupont and Rosslyn metro stations. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 PM

150 posts, read 595,856 times
The major Hispanic neighborhoods in the DC area are Langley Park, Wheaton, and Seven Corners. Seven Corners (in VA) is closest to Georgetown, and I don't believe it's overly expensive, meaning $1400-1600 should get you a one bedroom apartment.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:07 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fissure226 View Post
The major Hispanic neighborhoods in the DC area are Langley Park, Wheaton, and Seven Corners. Seven Corners (in VA) is closest to Georgetown, and I don't believe it's overly expensive, meaning $1400-1600 should get you a one bedroom apartment.
He's right. Check out the apartments in the 7-Corners/Baileys Crossroads area---especially Skyline Villiage/Towers, a very nice complex with condos and rentals. I think you'll find something in your price range.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:52 AM

Thanks for your replies. I will check out all of the areas that have been recommended.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:02 PM

142 posts, read 249,554 times
This might be off as far as all the criteria is concerned but I seem to think that Columbia Heights has a large Hispanic population.

I'm suggesting that maybe you should find out more about it than actually just plain out suggesting it.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Thanks. I'll look into the Columbia Height area.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:33 AM

23 posts, read 61,682 times
Below are links to some Spanish-language DC newspapers. Not meant for apartment-shopping (although who knows?), but to give you some sense of neighborhoods.
Columbia Heights, Adams-Morgan and Mount Pleasant are adjoining neighborhoods inside NWDC with large Latino populations, primarily (but not exclusively) from Central America -- as is most of the region's Spanish-speaking population. They have lots of things to do and places to go to eat, shop, etc. But they also tend to have more crime and noise than less-populated and less-popular neighborhoods, and because of the profusion of restaurants and other attractions, and because all are pretty much "hip" neighborhoods, the rents may be higher there than in other parts.
Here are 3 links -- you'll have to copy-and-paste:
El Tiempo Latino
[http://www.elpreg.org/
Washington Hispanic; Washington, Maryland, Virginia

Last edited by NWDC; 06-07-2009 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: fix link

Old 06-07-2009, 07:27 PM

I really appreciate your comments and I'll check out these links. It looks like it's going to be quite difficult to find a two bedroom place in our price range. Oh well, I hope to sublet a place in July so I can spend some time scoping out different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC