U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 07:46 PM

29 posts, read 99,076 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the D.C. area soon for a job in College Park. My boyfriend currently lives in Arlington and works near the Farragut West metro stop. I'm looking for somewhere in-between that we can rent an apartment, without either of us doing a terrible commute. I didn't realize how difficult it would be! I've been reading posts for the last hour and it seems that everyone thinks the stops on the blue and orange line that are far enough east to make my commute manageable are unsafe. My boyfriend could potentially take the red line into the city, but it doesn't look like things are much better there. Posts seem to indicate that the areas around Fort Totten metro, New York Ave metro, and Rhode Island Ave/Brentwood metro are unsafe. Brookland CUA seems to get better reviews, but there don't seem to be any apartment buildings close to the metro. My boyfriend will definitely be taking the metro in, although I'm open to driving or public transportation.

Are there areas I'm missing? We need something safe and that doesn't make for an unbearable commute. We're not on a tight budget, so that helps. We're also in our early 30s and not in family-mode, so we're not worried about school districts.

From what I've read so far, it seems that Silver Springs may be the option that is the safest and closest to a blue, orange, or red stop on the Marc and also to College Park. However, it doesn't seem like it has much else going for it, based on the posts I've read.

I'm hoping you all can tell me that I've failed to look somewhere fabulous!

Last edited by SLPdocSTU; 11-11-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 PM

2,149 posts, read 3,903,192 times
Silver Spring is decent. The Downtown Area is still a work in progress, but it's pretty good with a lot of restaurants, movie theater, etc. And it's affordable. I work a block or two away from the Farragut West station, the Farragut North station is just a half a block away and it's a straight shot from Silver Spring to Farragut North (I'm guessing 7-8 stops?).

And it's affordable, a 1 bedroom will probably run you guys $1500 per.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 AM

Thanks, DomRep. It looks like there is also a commuter bus that leaves from near his office and heads to the Silver Spring station, so that'll make it easier for him. (His company pays for a taxi if he leaves after 8:00, so that'll work when the commuter bus isn't running.) I'm not sure how easy of a commute it'll be for me to College Park. Google Maps shows "up to 40 minutes in traffic" but I'm not sure what time of day traffic would be bad - if it's anytime during rush hour, only in one direction during rush hour, or most of the time. But, hopefully that will work out. I'm not finding much else in terms of options!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:24 AM

117 posts, read 133,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLPdocSTU View Post
Thanks, DomRep. It looks like there is also a commuter bus that leaves from near his office and heads to the Silver Spring station, so that'll make it easier for him. (His company pays for a taxi if he leaves after 8:00, so that'll work when the commuter bus isn't running.) I'm not sure how easy of a commute it'll be for me to College Park. Google Maps shows "up to 40 minutes in traffic" but I'm not sure what time of day traffic would be bad - if it's anytime during rush hour, only in one direction during rush hour, or most of the time. But, hopefully that will work out. I'm not finding much else in terms of options!
I may be faster to take metro.
From Silver Spring station you would take the red line two stops down to Ft Totten and then transfer to the green line in the direction of Greenbelt and take that to College Park - UMD station.

http://mysticfox.com/subway/WMATA-metro.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-14-2010, 10:38 AM

Thanks, Quadruple or Nothing. Maybe Takoma makes it even closer then. I don't see many safety concerns regarding that area. Also, do you know anything about the Fort Totten area? I'm beginning to wonder if we should rethink that area too, since we could both use public transportation relatively easily. I had thought originally it didn't look like posters were recommending that area, but maybe I was wrong. I may also need to push my bf to reconsider having to transfer lines. He has wanted to avoid that, but posters seem to recommend the Columbia Heights and U Street areas and metro trip planner gives relatively good times on how long it'll take to get from 17th and Pennsylvania NW to those stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC