Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,685 times

Advertisements

Moving to DC in the next month or so to take a new job at DOJustice. Looking for some location suggestions to look for a place to live. I would have to be at DOJ most mornings it seems by 6am and plan to take the metro to and from work because I've heard the parking rates are ridiculous. I also have a wife and 9 month old daughter who I dont want to have to worry about taking a walk and accidentally walking into a bad section of town. I should be able to spend no more than 2200 a month on a place.

Looked at so many places online, but every single one has gotten horrible reviews (camden summerfield, fort totten station) Need some advice from locals on where I should be looking. Any help is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 PM

117 posts, read 149,944 times
Try looking in Cleveland Park, that area is more family friendly, SAFE, and transit oriented.
You'll be able to find an apartment for 2200 or less there, for a one bedroom at least

Here's some listings:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/s...2200&bedrooms=

Capitol Hill is also good too, and its a lot cheaper then Cleveland Park:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/s...200&bedrooms=2

Old 11-16-2010, 12:06 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,459 times
2200 is a lot! you should be able to live wherever you want on that budget.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 PM
yrb

91 posts, read 220,272 times
sorry no advice for sabers fans

Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
2200 is a lot! you should be able to live wherever you want on that budget.
You would think, but 2beds are going pretty high right now. Looking for something cheaper. Would like to be no higher than 2. Anyone here know anything about the new place the Encore at Wheaton Station?

Old 11-28-2010, 03:47 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,446 times
O highly recommend going out to the Virginia side if you care about your family. We lived in Fairfax in a 1700 sqft 3 level townhome for $1650 a month in a great area. Full of shopping, walking trails, parks, etc. Great schools and daycares as well. When we first moved there my sons were 2 and 7. The commutes from Vienna, Fairfax, Oakton, Annandale etc are only about 15 minutes in normal traffic and will take you about double that in traffic unless you are in "Parking Lot' trafic and that is another story. The Metro only goes out to Vienna but you can always drive and park at the metro and metro in from there. Other areas we really liked we Centreville(which is right off I66 but a little further out) and Falls Church. Fairfax is my Favorite but several other areas like Reston, tysons Corner are great too. Alexandrian can be a bit scetchy unless youre in Old Towne, Arlington is the same way, but both have great ammeneties. If you are looking for the most bang for you buck and enjoy town festivals for free, parks and shopping, go to Virginia Side. You will love it.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
^I agree 100% Check near the Vienna metro.

The Falls at Flint Hill in Oakton, Virginia - Fairfax County, VA - Apartment Showcase

Old 12-01-2010, 02:17 PM

51 posts, read 124,031 times
if you don't like a long commute I would not live out near, or past, the Vienna metro. It takes a good half hour from Vienna to get into the district.

For $2200 I think Cleveland or Woodley Park (or even the next stop up, UDC I think) should have some places and be sufficiently safe for your family, yet allow you to have a commute that isn't too bad. Cleveland and Woodley Park are both within walking distance of the zoo, which is a great place for the family to walk around (and it's free).

Edit: I lived in Falls Church and absolutely hated it. It's devoid of any sort of the character you get in DC. Tysons Corner is a huge suburban shopping mall wasteland. In my opinion you're getting all of the headaches of living in the city (obscene traffic during rush hour, expensive though not as expensive as the city) without any of the benefits (close to public transportation, corner stores, grocery stores, restaurants, etc within walking distance).

Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Alexandrian can be a bit scetchy unless youre in Old Towne, Arlington is the same way,
What is the problem there, criminal gangs?

Old 12-01-2010, 03:28 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
What is the problem there, criminal gangs?
No, it just looks really dumpy, especially areas that are unincorporated Alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC