Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:41 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,372 times

Advertisements

Advantages for DC:

1. Diversity. DC is a cosmopolitan city with many foreign nationals living here. In terms of American-born diversity, we have a great mixture of white, black, Latino, and Asian-American population...similar to California in some respects. If you are coming from the SF Bay area or LA/Orange Co., moving to DC will not be much of a cultural shock.

2. As a 20-something in DC, you should have an easy time making new friends. There are many people who might be in the same boat as you with grad school or starting out a career. There are plenty of social opportunities for 20-somethings to mingle for friendships or dating. There are amateur sports leagues, alumni parties, house parties, and plain ol' happy hours with classmates or jobmates. Drinking booze and hooking up is fairly common in the 20-something scene here.

3. DC could be a great launching pad to a career. Many graduates at GW tend to stay in the Washington, DC area because the majority of job opportunities are in the same town. If you are majoring in public policy, international relations, or law...you don't need to look far for jobs.

Disadvantages against DC:

1. The cost of living is a b*tch here. But you are from California, so you might shrug your shoulders when you see the sky-high apartment rents, sales taxes and restaurant prices.

2. Fast-paced. People are not exactly cuddly and friendly here. Lots of Type A personalities with a "get out of my way or I will run you over" mentality. People are drawn to power and influence. If you are not somebody important, few DC people will pay attention to you.

3. Dating Scene. Yes, you get to meet plenty of 20-something people in this town. The bad part is that you judged by A.) Where you got your undergraduate degree and B.) Your Chosen Career Path and Prospects for Wealth & Power. Basically, you are more datable if you have a killer resume. This is a much bigger issue for single men in this town. If you are a 20-something female, you are just meat on the bone. Lots of dudes will not call you back.

Anyway, if you are looking for a more quieter scene with beautiful mountain scenery, lots of sober white people (i.e. Mormons) then Utah is the place for you, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calswim View Post
Hi there,

I am a student who is considering to move to DC for grad school at George Washington University. I am single, 20s, Chinese American. I hear people say that it is pretty hard to meet people.. Will it be hard for me to make friends outside of school?

I am also consider Salt Lake City in Utah. Which one will be the bigger adjustment from California? What are the pros and cons for moving to DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
I would choose DC. Go for the money & the power.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:39 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,764 times
Quote:
calswim; Initially, I wanted something more slow pace which is what attracts me to salt lake city. However, I am concerned about diversity and since grad school is fast paced.. I was thinking GWU would work well with that.. any thoughts?
Well in that case, DC is definitely out of the equation due to the fact that it is very Fast Paced.

GOOD LUCK Anyway though

Old 01-01-2011, 07:49 PM

213 posts, read 404,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post

1. The cost of living is a b*tch here. But you are from California, so you might shrug your shoulders when you see the sky-high apartment rents, sales taxes and restaurant prices.

2. Fast-paced. People are not exactly cuddly and friendly here. Lots of Type A personalities with a "get out of my way or I will run you over" mentality. People are drawn to power and influence. If you are not somebody important, few DC people will pay attention to you.

3. Dating Scene. Yes, you get to meet plenty of 20-something people in this town. The bad part is that you judged by A.) Where you got your undergraduate degree and B.) Your Chosen Career Path and Prospects for Wealth & Power. Basically, you are more datable if you have a killer resume. This is a much bigger issue for single men in this town. If you are a 20-something female, you are just meat on the bone. Lots of dudes will not call you back.
As someone who lived most of my life in the D.C. area (but am now out of there), I got quite a chuckle over this list. Because it"s so damned true!

But there are some distinct advantages to being a "nobody" in D.C. The snobby types ignore you and leave you alone.

So you are free to just enjoy all the great things the city has to offer - things that do not depend on your social/professional status or what "in" people you know.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC