Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,668,191 times

Advertisements

It's a multiple element issue. There need to be more jobs, yes. There also needs to be better access to affordable higher education, which it seems they're doing with the creation of CCDC.

edit: Townhomes for $999/mo? How many beds and baths? That's a bloody steal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 04:49 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,634,452 times
Yeah, I think the new townhouse communities are called Stanton View, and they look pretty nice. Up to three bedrooms, three bathrooms, it looks like. I've never been inside the model home though so I guess people will have to google it up or go check it out.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 PM

I remember seeing something on here (I think) a while back that looked like a development in SE with freestanding houses (although they looked like townhouses). It was already built, I know that because they were links to Street Views on Google Maps.

Anyone have any idea what it might have been? The houses looked really really nice. I don't think it was Henson Ridge.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:43 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,224,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I remember seeing something on here (I think) a while back that looked like a development in SE with freestanding houses (although they looked like townhouses). It was already built, I know that because they were links to Street Views on Google Maps.

Anyone have any idea what it might have been? The houses looked really really nice. I don't think it was Henson Ridge.
Funny that you should bring that up. Thought this was interesting article. Basically the article is about a nice subdivision with new townhomes built in SE DC filled with urban professionals who didn't neccesarily want to move out to Upper Marlboro or Acokeek. The problem is that the rest of the area outside this nice subdivision still have issues with violent crime. So a middle class family still has to deal with gunshots. So new developments are nice but if the bad element still surrounds said new development it can still be a bad neighborhood just with vinyl siding.

SE neighborhood's violent past clouds new residents' future - washingtonpost.com

The reason I bring up Henson Ridge is because well they're nice homes filled with nice people, but surrounded by not so nice areas. I can't help

Old 12-14-2010, 07:42 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,634,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post

I'm not certain, but I think you may be referring to the huge houses in "New Anacostia" in a cul-de-sac called Woodmont Place off of Good Hope Road directly across from the Marbury Plaza high-rise apartment building. Does it sound familiar? They are moderately high-end homes that are priced starting in the high 400's. Huge. There's no way I would pay that kind of money to live there though with no view and virtually no backyard.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 PM

Nah that wasn't it. I think I found it though:

Woodmont Place Southeast, Washington D.C., DC - Google Maps

pretty nice IMO

edit: Link says woodmont place but it's actually a street view of Knox Terrace SE.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 PM

258 posts, read 533,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I believe the brick-faced townhomes between Howard, Pomeroy, and Stanton are being bought and have mortgages.

The townhomes that are $999/month (not sure if they're leasing at that price or if that's what the mortgage is going to be) are in multiple locations, starting at the corner of Elvans and Gainesville, and at the corner of 18th and Gainesville. Many more are set to be built. When you drive up Stanton Road going uphill, you turn left on Elvans and near the top of that hill at Gainesville is where you'll see the ones still under construction. And when you turn right on Gainesville, go further down to the end and you'll see some more at 18th -- which includes a model home (or at least the model home was still showing the last time I went by).
i know where woodland is. i drive past tere all the time and never paid attention to the sign.

i live around the corner from "the model home". it looks really nice, but it looks like somebody actually lives there because that black pick up truck is always in the drive way.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I'm anxious for the Department of Homeland Security to open at the St. E's site though, and that should provide at least some clerical work for some of the single mothers in this part of the city. The area at Naylor Road and Good Hope Road (Skyland) is also preparing to undergo a major project which will include a town shopping and business/restaurant center. I believe a LOT of jobs are about to come to SE with the attractive renovations that are in progress now, and tourism as well.
i certainly hope so!! SE is a dead zone. i was just tellin my wife there's no way we can buy a house over here. this part of dc is like all the black neighborhoods of pittsburgh. oh well. dc is always > pittsburgh

Old 12-20-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Funny that you should bring that up. Thought this was interesting article. Basically the article is about a nice subdivision with new townhomes built in SE DC filled with urban professionals who didn't neccesarily want to move out to Upper Marlboro or Acokeek. The problem is that the rest of the area outside this nice subdivision still have issues with violent crime. So a middle class family still has to deal with gunshots. So new developments are nice but if the bad element still surrounds said new development it can still be a bad neighborhood just with vinyl siding.

SE neighborhood's violent past clouds new residents' future - washingtonpost.com

The reason I bring up Henson Ridge is because well they're nice homes filled with nice people, but surrounded by not so nice areas. I can't help
this whole post is true

Old 12-20-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not certain, but I think you may be referring to the huge houses in "New Anacostia" in a cul-de-sac called Woodmont Place off of Good Hope Road directly across from the Marbury Plaza high-rise apartment building. Does it sound familiar? They are moderately high-end homes that are priced starting in the high 400's. Huge. There's no way I would pay that kind of money to live there though with no view and virtually no backyard.
maybe, but i think its henson ridge. i remember seeing a news clip about it and the people were saying that they paid 300k for their new houses and they're very afraid of coming outside, filled with all kinds of regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC