Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:20 PM

258 posts, read 532,559 times

Advertisements

does anyone know what they're building along sheridan rd in southeast? between bowen rd and pomeroy road. one building looks like it may be new apartments because i see an elevator shaft being built.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 AM

nobody knows anything?!!?!?!?!?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 AM

49 posts, read 74,049 times
Townhomes and condominiums. All mixed imcome, but mostly affordable since Barry Farms is about to be torn down next year and the people need somewhere to go.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM

thanks, but how do u know this?

Old 12-10-2010, 04:37 PM

2,400 posts, read 3,630,245 times
New apartments and condominiums called Sheridan Station and they're supposed to be finished by Summer 2011. There's a sign on Sheridan Road along Suitland Parkway with a graphic and reads that a new community will be there at the corner of Bowen Road and Sheridan. As for the other HUGE area between Pomeroy and Bowen along Sheridan, I have no idea, but it is definitely massive so probably more housing similar to the townhomes along Stanton between Pomeroy and Douglass.

Do you know what's going to happen to the Woodlawn projects? I've heard similar rumors throughout the neighborhood that Barry Farms will also be demolished and turned into a mixed-income community. Vincent Gray said much of SE will become mixed-income neighborhoods. Some homes have already been leased to renters for $999 a month in the area on Gainesville with homes like the ones being built on Elvans.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
New apartments and condominiums called Sheridan Station and they're supposed to be finished by Summer 2011. There's a sign on Sheridan Road along Suitland Parkway with a graphic and reads that a new community will be there at the corner of Bowen Road and Sheridan. As for the other HUGE area between Pomeroy and Bowen along Sheridan, I have no idea, but it is definitely massive so probably more housing similar to the townhomes along Stanton between Pomeroy and Douglass.

Do you know what's going to happen to the Woodlawn projects? I've heard similar rumors throughout the neighborhood that Barry Farms will also be demolished and turned into a mixed-income community. Vincent Gray said much of SE will become mixed-income neighborhoods. Some homes have already been leased to renters for $999 a month in the area on Gainesville with homes like the ones being built on Elvans.
no idea. where are those anyway?
i live 2 blocks from these!! i thought they were actually sold but maybe they're being rented.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:05 AM

86 posts, read 241,178 times
Quote:

which means more poor people will be pushed out of dc into pg county, md. it's cool for these mixed income developments to be built but what they really need to do is focus on creating jobs, sustainable jobs, for them.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
no idea. where are those anyway?
i live 2 blocks from these!! i thought they were actually sold but maybe they're being rented.
I believe the brick-faced townhomes between Howard, Pomeroy, and Stanton are being bought and have mortgages.

The townhomes that are $999/month (not sure if they're leasing at that price or if that's what the mortgage is going to be) are in multiple locations, starting at the corner of Elvans and Gainesville, and at the corner of 18th and Gainesville. Many more are set to be built. When you drive up Stanton Road going uphill, you turn left on Elvans and near the top of that hill at Gainesville is where you'll see the ones still under construction. And when you turn right on Gainesville, go further down to the end and you'll see some more at 18th -- which includes a model home (or at least the model home was still showing the last time I went by).

Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
which means more poor people will be pushed out of dc into pg county, md. it's cool for these mixed income developments to be built but what they really need to do is focus on creating jobs, sustainable jobs, for them.
Couldn't agree more. I'm anxious for the Department of Homeland Security to open at the St. E's site though, and that should provide at least some clerical work for some of the single mothers in this part of the city. The area at Naylor Road and Good Hope Road (Skyland) is also preparing to undergo a major project which will include a town shopping and business/restaurant center. I believe a LOT of jobs are about to come to SE with the attractive renovations that are in progress now, and tourism as well.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:09 PM

86 posts, read 241,178 times
Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I'm anxious for the Department of Homeland Security to open at the St. E's site though, and that should provide at least some clerical work for some of the single mothers in this part of the city. The area at Naylor Road and Good Hope Road (Skyland) is also preparing to undergo a major project which will include a town shopping and business/restaurant center. I believe a LOT of jobs are about to come to SE with the attractive renovations that are in progress now, and tourism as well.
One would think this were the case BUT the truth is a lot of those lower grade clerical jobs are not being filled by the people you described. the truth is those jobs are being filled by college grads with impressive credentials or working professionals with 6 years experience. this isn't the same old dc anymore. competition for jobs has increased immensely. those gs 4/5/6 jobs are getting more competitive because they are considered foot in the door jobs, not last chance jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC