Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,644 times

Advertisements

The post is nearly three years old. I am pretty sure the OP has figured things out by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:23 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
The post is nearly three years old. I am pretty sure the OP has figured things out by now.
You sure about that? lol It might be harder now in DC, NYC, SF, or basically any big cities that pays out.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:00 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,355 times
Quote:
Congress said the recovery would begin 3 years ago. Anyone seen/felt the recovery?

Old 08-29-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
Congress said the recovery would begin 3 years ago. Anyone seen/felt the recovery?
What the heck are you talking about? What does that have to do with the fact that the OP started this job three years ago, and so it makes no sense to point him toward places to find a roommate. If he needed a roommate, he got one a long time ago.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:57 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
Quote:
What the heck are you talking about? What does that have to do with the fact that the OP started this job three years ago, and so it makes no sense to point him toward places to find a roommate. If he needed a roommate, he got one a long time ago.

I think you missed the poster who bumped this thread on August 18, 2013. I think he's responding to that poster.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I think you missed the poster who bumped this thread on August 18, 2013. I think he's responding to that poster.
No he was clearly responding to the OP because of the Florida-specific advice. The Aug. 18 poster was asking about job interview advice, not housing advice. If that poster is reading this, I don't know the answer to the job interview question, but he/she should create a new thread, because as you can see, when you bump up these ancient threads people just get confused and your question gets missed.

Last edited by stateofnature; 08-29-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 10:57 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
I'm assuming you're using a more colloquial definition of recovery, because we've been in a recovery for quite some time.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 PM

Calm down everyone.

1. Recovery is happening, ONLY in numbers, because we have more part time people now working three jobs, than full time jobs.

2. Apparently the real estate has picked up, but it's a specific development, and if you're wondering when your house price is going to go up, it won't. The big companies that's making apartments are making all the moneys now.

3. I've always said this, but US' economy only gets better after a big war, because we move in after the war is over to create more buildings, infrastructure, etc for all the s%$# that we blew up, plus Lockheed, and all the other small and large weapon manufacturers hire more people.

But here is the thing. With the advancement of the technology, I don't think another war is the way to make money for US anymore.

So, what's going to make money for US, that's the world's provider of (except for the horrible failure of the F-22 Raptor which is chasing Russian Sukhoi PAK FA which is selling like hot cake to China and all the other developing countries)?

We can sell some patents, and weapons. But what else are we selling? I guess we can start traffiking drugs to developing countries. Just start invading other countries to take over their land. But honestly, our innovation has hit the ceiling (because China or Russia can basically copy everything we do - plus there is so much mono-poly from Apple, that no other US companies want to compete with them).

So, what do we have now? It's certainly not the cars. It's definitely not cheap labor. Plus, if we **** China off, they'll stop sending us Rare Earth Metals, which will halt Sillicon Valley.

We're at that critical point now. The congress isn't getting along with the executive branch, and it's basically a cluster F&^* of the worst thing that can happen to any big, developed country.

That french guy said, 300 years ago that democracy tend to last about 200 years or so...

I'm beginning to think that Hollywood is the answer to all this, like it has been before for US. Best movies in the world!

Maybe instead of US giving money to the car manufacturers and banks, they should pump some more money into the Hollywood.

You can quote me on this, that's what's going to save this country at the end.

PLUS, the diversity. Indian American wins the Spelling bee, Three asian high school kids kicks some ass in an international math competition.

US is no longer a stereotype. All nations are Americans, and I honestly think that reflects in movies that we produce. It's amazing and culturally diverse, unlike any other countries movies.

SO OT

Old 08-31-2013, 07:10 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
So, what do we have now? It's certainly not the cars. It's definitely not cheap labor. Plus, if we **** China off, they'll stop sending us Rare Earth Metals, which will halt Sillicon Valley.
I disagree with almost everything you wrote, but I'll stick to just one point.

Rare Earths are not rare. There's a pretty large deposit in Idaho and smaller deposits in the Southeast. Australia has also stepped up its rare earths production after the 2010 incident between a Chinese fisherman and the Japanese coast guard. The reason China produces 97% of the world's supply is because China has it in greater concentrations, so can extract rare earths cheaper than anywhere else in the world. There wasn't much profit in using U.S. sources. However, companies are diversifying their supplies now--not just because they fear China cutting off supplies, but because they fear disruptions in the supply chain. This is the lesson businesses took out of Fukushima Dai-ichi.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 PM

Let's just say this. According to my math...

I'm looking at Florida and Texas for possible relocation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: