Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,170 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a great job offer in DC with the government.
I currently live in memphis. I need help in making this decision.

CURRENT FACTS:

1.I currently have a great job in Memphis with good pay
2.I have a 3-bedroom house which I bought 5 yrs ago in the 2nd best suburb around memphis where I pay 1200/month mortgage
3.I'm single
4. I currently earn btw:65,000-85,00/yr in memphis
5.There is no STATE INCOME TAX in TN,only 25% FEDERAL TAX!

QUESTIONS:

1.Would it be worth moving over to DC?
2. What salary range would allow me to live same life in DC?I know DC is very expensive!
4.What areas would be safe and great for a single young professional like me

GraceLand Elvis

Last edited by gracelandelvis; 12-08-2010 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,609 times
There are plenty of cost-of-living calculators out there that will give you an idea of the salary you'll want. I plugged in a salary of $75k to one and it came back with $114k--but I think that sounds low.

If you have a great job and a house in a great area, why are you looking to move? Financially, I doubt a move to DC is smart, so you'll need to factor the intangibles into the equation.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,178 times
How much is the job offer... if the same, I'd say stay there... unless you really want to make the move.

I went on an interview outside of DC yesterday... realized after I got there (never been there before) that I don't want to leave DC...

Old 12-08-2010, 01:31 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
DC's COL is way higher than Memphis. If you want to live in the "second best suburb" of DC, you're looking at a place like Potomac or McLean. Those are very expensive places where you better be making well into 6 figures to afford a 3-bd house in.

Also, note that the DC metropolitan area is many times larger in population than the Memphis area.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-08-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,170 times
Caliterp07,
My current job is great but its mainly grant-based hence the constant worry.
But besides that I'd love to explore the new "once in a lifetime opportunity" at the particular organization in DC.
Btw:I'm a Software Engineer with 10+ yrs of experience,we're yet to discuss the salary though.
They tried to bring the salary issue up last time but I requested time to do abit of research before negotiation.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM

777 posts, read 1,871,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracelandelvis View Post
...we're yet to discuss the salary though. They tried to bring the salary issue up last time but I requested time to do abit of research before negotiation.
Unless this is a boutique agency or your skills are uniquely specialized, your odds of successfully negotiating a gov't salary are limited. If the position's salary isn't higher than your current one, at best, they'll match it. Did you formally apply and compete for this position? If so, you should know grade/salary.

You'll be shocked by the COL here. Regardless, there are endless opportunities and if you're a fed employee who's ambitious, even more opportunity.

Last edited by Iggier; 12-08-2010 at 04:09 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 03:33 PM

If you'd like to own a 3 bedroom house in a decent suburb with an hour or less commute, budget at least $400-500k ($300k as a minimum for townhomes within an hour). If you're okay renting a townhouse or apartment in the suburbs, budget anywhere from $1800 to $2500/month for 2-3 bedrooms.

That's going to be your biggest increased expense. Everything else will be slightly more expensive, but not as drastic as housing.

I'm guessing you're in your early 30's? You may want to look at Alexandria if you're looking for nice suburbs. It's filled with late 20s/30s professionals, and Old Town is super cute/charming. Depending where in DC your job would be, you will probably be able to determine if you'd rather be in a Maryland suburb or VA one. Traffic is a nightmare here, so being as close to your job as possible cannot be over valued.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
Unless this is a boutique agency or your skills are uniquely specialized, your odds of successfully negotiating a gov't salary are limited. At best, they'll match your current salary. Did you formally apply and compete for this position? If so, you should know grade/salary.

You'll be shocked by the COL here. Regardless, there are endless opportunities and if you're a fed employee who's ambitious, even more opportunity.
Where did the OP say it's a government agency?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:04 PM

777 posts, read 1,871,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Where did the OP say it's a government agency?
First line of the OP's post, and I quote:

"I'm getting a great job offer in DC with the government."

Perhaps the OP meant the DC government? I interpreted it as the federal government.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:25 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
DC is a much more vibrant, cosmopolitan city than Memphis, so unless you're just jonesing to get out (which it doesn't sound like you are) or it would be an incredible resume booster, then I wouldn't take it. To move from one city's suburbs to another, and wind up going from a 3 br down to a studio / 1 bedroom for the same price, I'm not seeing the value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC