Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
Nothing different from any other major city. People like to drink
Agreed.

You wanna see real boozing in action? Go Scandinavia. Grim, public alcoholism.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
^ I don't know about that. Some of these high-powered jobs where they have to wear the fake game face all the time and supress their real personality...they are trying to be too many things to too many people...finally, they just blow, and end up 86'ed, passed out face down on the sidewalk from some Georgetowne bar.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
^ I don't know about that. Some of these high-powered jobs where they have to wear the fake game face all the time and supress their real personality...they are trying to be too many things to too many people...finally, they just blow, and end up 86'ed, passed out face down on the sidewalk from some Georgetowne bar.
K...I'm in, what bar is this? Sounds like a Friday Night in Adams Morgan anyway.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:00 PM

51 posts, read 124,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
So you're telling me there are people drinking as much in Idaho, SC, Georgia as DC, Chicago or NYC?

Really, I'm curious.
Well Idaho doesn't really compare, but I'd say yeah Chicago and NYC drink as much, if not more, than DC (I'm going with more). Boston, LA, St Louis, hell even Milwaukee may drink more.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:42 AM

381 posts, read 814,287 times
And if people didn't drink here, there would be some on here complaining people don't drink here because they don't know how to have fun.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:08 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,484 times
It sure seems like D.C. drinks a lot sometimes. But I think the areas of the city you frequent, your co-workers and the people you hang around will influence your view on any city's general drinking habits. D.C. has it's drinking districts like any big city (i.e. Adam's Morgan, U-Street, even Georgetown and the Downtown 7th Street Gallery to an extent). Here is some interesting information about cities with the most drunk driving convictions as of this year:

Top 20 Cities with the Most Drunken Drivers - KickingTires

Notice that D.C. is not even on the list. However, you must consider that most statistical studies concerning behavioral patterns in big cities are skewed. Many drunks in D.C. hop on the Metro. Anyone who has ridden the Metro after a certain hour of the night on weekends can attest to all the overly intoxicated commuters many throwing up all over the place and unable to walk straight. Also, the cities that topped the most DUI's list have police forces dedicated entirely to arresting drunk drivers. In other words, drunk drivers in D.C are more likely to get away with driving drunk and related hit-and-run accidents than the cities on the highest DUI conviction list. Cops in D.C. always seem more occupied in chasing down murderers and narcotic traffickers. For instance, traffic laws concerning bad driving are a low priority in D.C. Many drivers I know in the District have horror stories of being hit by obviously drunk hit-and-run drivers at night. Many of the victims of these accidents copied the perpetrators license plate numbers and the police claimed that they "couldn't do anything about it". Trying to curb bad driving in D.C., including drunk driving and hit-and-run perps, is like trying to drain the ocean with an eyedropper. Year after year, D.C. consistently tops the lists of the worst driving cities in America:

http://dcist.com/2010/09/once_again_...countrys_w.php

Not surprisingly, deadly drunk driving hit-and-run stories like these are somewhat common in D.C.:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cri...run-in-dc.html

http://www.dcinjurylawjournal.com/20...auto-accident/

However, many other cities have much higher occurrences of incidents like these. Houston, Texas has a terrible reputation for not being able to prevent drunk driving accidents and fatalities.

Here is some more interesting information about drinking habits according to region and demographics. People living on the East Coast and young people (ages 18-32) are much more likely to drink on a weekly or even daily basis.

1 in 3 Americans Drinks Alcohol at Least Weekly

Cohesively, a recent study also concluded that college graduates are statistically more likely to drink on a regular basis. Surprise, surprise, D.C. has the highest concentration of college degreed people of any big city in the nation.

The MOST Educated Cities In America (PHOTOS)

Recent poll finds college grads are more likely to drink alcohol | mndaily.com - Serving the University of Minnesota Community Since 1900

Following this data it is safe to conclude that many young professionals in D.C. "get it in" on a regular basis. Anyone who has been to Adam's Morgan or U Street has seen countless inebriated red-faced yuppies, buppies and hipsters being begged to go home by police at 3 AM. Does this mean that D.C. is a city with an out of control drinking problem? Not necessarily. Many people in D.C. are able to drink in moderation.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 12-25-2010 at 08:07 PM..

Old 12-26-2010, 12:11 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
It's not a DC-thing, it's a city thing. You are more likely to find people who drink in the city, more likely to find people who go to museums, more likely to find people who go to movies. And likewise, in rural areas you are more likely to find people who hunt or go fishing.

It's simply representative of the culture and available activities.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:26 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
I agree -- there's some major drinking that takes place in the DC area and suburbs, even ex-urbs. I noticed it when I moved back here from a rural state. Take grocery shopping, for example. At this grocery store that I go to here in NoVa, there are display tables at every turn offering every imaginable brand of beer and wine. You would never see that where I used to shop. There's usually an employee doing a wine tasting (and a cop waiting to bust someone for DUI around the corner, no doubt!) The store's beer and wine section is bigger than most grocery stores where I used to live.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I agree -- there's some major drinking that takes place in the DC area and suburbs, even ex-urbs. I noticed it when I moved back here from a rural state. Take grocery shopping, for example. At this grocery store that I go to here in NoVa, there are display tables at every turn offering every imaginable brand of beer and wine. You would never see that where I used to shop. There's usually an employee doing a wine tasting (and a cop waiting to bust someone for DUI around the corner, no doubt!) The store's beer and wine section is bigger than most grocery stores where I used to live.
Possibly the stores are bigger because you nova is a more populated area than where you used to live, and the liquor departments are based on state laws that allow the sale of liquor in grocery stores??

It doesn't really take much knowledge of psychology to understand cause and effect, and realize that the grocery store situation is not likely to be because the area has simply attracted a greater share of alcoholics than other parts of the world.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:06 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,484 times
Alcohol is the universal drug in America and many places around the world. Because of this, alcoholism is a major problem in every big American city. Violent crime, in itself, is very much an alcohol-related problem. In fact, most murders, assaults and rapes occur when the perpetrator and or victim of the crime are under the influence of alcohol. Cohesively, high crime inner city neighborhoods across the nation with above average violent crime and homicide rates are ubiquitously defined by an overabundance of liquor stores and corners stores that sell alcohol. It is not just a D.C. problem either. It is the same song in every big city and ghetto in America. The infamous West Oakland has over 50 liquor stores and no grocery stores. Many blighted inner city ghettos have more than one liquor store on every block. To add more, the dirt cheap get-you-drunk-quick malt liquor and fortified wines sold at these corner stores are directly marketed to the poor unemployed and underemployed residents of these ghetto neighborhoods.

Alcohol Fuels Violence - SFGate (http://articles.sfgate.com/2000-06-10/news/17649039_1_alcohol-outlets-malt-liquor-alcohol-and-violent-crime - broken link)

West Oakland: 53 liquor stores, 0 grocery stores, detour commuters, & street art activism : Indybay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC