Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,458 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me find what percentage of ppl drink alcohol in Washinton, DC? Also what percentage of those ppl are African-Americans?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttery365 View Post
Can anyone help me find what percentage of ppl drink alcohol in Washinton, DC? Also what percentage of those ppl are African-Americans?
It's 49% total, 45% for AA community.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:10 PM

92 posts, read 180,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
It's 49% total, 45% for AA community.

Where did this stat come from? I don't believe it, to be honest. A large majority of the people around DC and NoVA drink and seemingly cannot participate in any activity that does not involve some facet of alcohol consumption. It's hard to find people who will socialize without involving booze in some fashion. And as far as that stat goes you're telling us that 46 percent of all the alcohol consumption in DC is by blacks and only 4 percent by whites? Bull$hit.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:05 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecharlesriver View Post
Where did this stat come from? I don't believe it, to be honest. A large majority of the people around DC and NoVA drink and seemingly cannot participate in any activity that does not involve some facet of alcohol consumption. It's hard to find people who will socialize without involving booze in some fashion. And as far as that stat goes you're telling us that 46 percent of all the alcohol consumption in DC is by blacks and only 4 percent by whites? Bull$hit.
That's not what he means.

DC is about 50% Black and 50% Other Groups (Whites, Asians, Hispanics, and other groups).

So say you have 100 people from the DC area and it reflects the demographics of the DC area (50% Black, 35% White, 9% Hispanic, 3% Asian, 2% Multiracial, 1% everybody else).

You'd have 50 Blacks, and out of those 22.5 of them drink (45%). For the other groups, it would be 26.5 of them drinking (53%).

So he's saying the rate of alcohol drinking is lower for Blacks than it is for Whites. Though without a source, we can't verify it. To be honest, those figures seem random. 49% of the population is too high if you're counting alcoholics, but too low if you're counting people who drink, especially if you're not specifying how often (e.g. A person who drinks once a year for religious purposes would be counted as somebody who drinks)

Old 12-27-2011, 12:41 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
For some reason, I'd think that 'drinking and driving' might be lesser of an issue with african-americans. I can't be sure about that, but it 'feels that way'.

It's usually caucasians that generally live much higher car-centric lives.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM

349 posts, read 990,221 times
I strongly disagree that there's a "lot of drinking" in DC, I actually see the opposite. The culture in DC is conservative and Puritan with respect to drinking, people rarely drink, particularly at business functions. If you want to see a culture of drinking it's in the Northeast, in cities like Baltimore and Philly and NYC, also Wisconsin.

DC is somewhat "dry" compared to Northern cities. Also, alcohol laws are a little stricter here and enforced a little more.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 AM

229 posts, read 515,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
I strongly disagree that there's a "lot of drinking" in DC, I actually see the opposite. The culture in DC is conservative and Puritan with respect to drinking, people rarely drink, particularly at business functions. If you want to see a culture of drinking it's in the Northeast, in cities like Baltimore and Philly and NYC, also Wisconsin.

DC is somewhat "dry" compared to Northern cities. Also, alcohol laws are a little stricter here and enforced a little more.
I don't think the contracted nightlife in D.C. in relation to some of the other major east coast cities can be used as a definite indicator of the alcohol consumption rate among residents here. Just because the bars and clubs - at least those visible to the regular eye - shut down early here compared to those in cities like NYC, doesn't necessarily mean that folks here do not indulge in social and celebratory beverages outside of these public venues.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:31 AM

349 posts, read 990,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post
I don't think the contracted nightlife in D.C. in relation to some of the other major east coast cities can be used as a definite indicator of the alcohol consumption rate among residents here. Just because the bars and clubs - at least those visible to the regular eye - shut down early here compared to those in cities like NYC, doesn't necessarily mean that folks here do not indulge in social and celebratory beverages outside of these public venues.
I know, I wasn't talking about nightlife. When I mean is that alcohol in general is taboo here. If you go to lunch and get a beer in this area, that really raises a lot of eyebrows. Or if you bring a bottle of wine as a gift for your coworkers at your company's Christmas party, that's kind of a faux pas, pretty rare.

None of that ever happened to me when I was living up North. In Baltimore, at the company I worked for, our boss would regularly get drunk at our office parties and no one thought much of it.

One other thing I've noticed in DC is that IDs are checked much more strictly and at every turn, including much older people who really shouldn't arouse any suspicion. In Baltimore/Philly/Chicago fairly young-looking people can buy alcohol even without getting ID'd. And in NYC, alcohol is openly sold in every store, you don't really need a special license. In NYC's Penn Station all the fast-food joints have beer and wine.

By comparison, DC's attitudes to alcohol are a little uptight. Not as uptight as in the South, but DC is where the South begins.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:13 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Quote:
When I mean is that alcohol in general is taboo here. If you go to lunch and get a beer in this area, that really raises a lot of eyebrows. Or if you bring a bottle of wine as a gift for your coworkers at your company's Christmas party, that's kind of a faux pas, pretty rare.
Your DC is way shlttier than my DC.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:16 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:

DC sounds like the Bay Area California. Just about the time I was getting a decent buzz on, everyone else was excusing themselves to go home for the night.

I'm use to more northern styles as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC