Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 01:46 PM

69 posts, read 162,711 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a new apartment, and would like to keep costs as low as possible ($1300-$1500 a month is the most I would like to spend). I found a ridiculously cheap place at this address, and I am wondering if this is one of those "you get what you pay for", type of deals. I am away from DC at the moment, but my last apartment was in NE DC (near Catholic and Trinity) and circumstances have shown that I need to get out of there. I am still fairly new to DC and don't know this particular area. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 05:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,641,423 times
It's a "semi-ghetto". Hard gangs a block away around Saratoga, relatively long walk to the nearest Metro (about 7 blocks). Plenty of liquor stores though. The apartment itself is probably decent, but the neighborhood isn't worth the buck when you can get similarly priced rent in a better area, in my opinion.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 PM

69 posts, read 162,711 times
Thanks. This is exactly the type of information I wanted to know.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,994 times
yea dats right by da toga

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU8y050EksI[/url]

Old 12-21-2010, 06:16 AM

23 posts, read 54,914 times
I live only a couple blocks from this building near Langdon Park and I am very familiar with it.

The area is not the greatest...but it's not that bad either. The building is very well kept (as is the other apartment building across the street on RI Ave). There is a liquor store on the corner and a Rite Aide to the left of you. There is not much to do in the neighborhood (no restaurants).

Like I said the area is not that bad, but if you are looking for stuff to do...I would look elsewhere.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvfightclub View Post
I went to a small fire in one of the buildings shown in that video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc032873 View Post
I live only a couple blocks from this building near Langdon Park and I am very familiar with it.

The area is not the greatest...but it's not that bad either. The building is very well kept (as is the other apartment building across the street on RI Ave). There is a liquor store on the corner and a Rite Aide to the left of you. There is not much to do in the neighborhood (no restaurants).

Like I said the area is not that bad, but if you are looking for stuff to do...I would look elsewhere.
That's exactly how a lot of neighborhoods are now. The crime has really dropped in DC and it includes neighborhoods like this. They have gotten a little bit safer(Though sketchy on certain blocks), but the neighborhoods themselves are still the same. Nothing to do which kind off offsets the whole saving money thing if you're in your 20's and looking to go out a lot.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
That's exactly how a lot of neighborhoods are now. The crime has really dropped in DC and it includes neighborhoods like this. They have gotten a little bit safer(Though sketchy on certain blocks), but the neighborhoods themselves are still the same. Nothing to do which kind off offsets the whole saving money thing if you're in your 20's and looking to go out a lot.
It's one of my chief complaints about the city right now. There's not nearly as much of a savings/bonus for buying into transitioning or sketchy areas as there perhaps should be. Sure, something at 1511 Franklin St. NE might be cheaper than Dupont Circle, but it should be MUCH cheaper. For $1500 a month I'd be looking at Columbia Heights, Silver Spring, H Street/Atlas District or some other such place that actually has stuff *going on*. It's why I still think some areas of the city remain overvalued from the mid-00s real estate boom.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:30 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,789 times
^ The idea is to save money in these hoods and use the money u save to take cabs everywhere.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:39 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
^ The idea is to save money in these hoods and use the money u save to take cabs everywhere.
You're not reading what was said. The money that is saved doesn't offset the inconvenience or money that you spend commuting to other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC