Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 AM

31,867 posts, read 34,362,591 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is moving to town with his fiancee and the rents he's coming across are insane. The Loree Grand, which is near Union Station in the newly developed NOMA, is offering 2BR/2BA apartments at the modest price of $4200. That offer was too good for him to accept.

So, what are people paying in rent in DC these days? Also, could you state generally whereabout in the area you live? And if possible, provide a description of your apartment/house (i.e., size, rooms, amenities, and overall attractiveness).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,702,624 times
2br/1 BA- $1800

I live in the SW Waterfront area. I live in an older Co-operative in the area and lease from a lady who now resides in LA. The SW Waterfront Area is developing pretty fast. I like it because it is quiet, lots of residential parking and I have a two block walk to the metro. My dislike about my building is that most of my neighbors are old (real old) and the CO-OP board is a hellish bureaucracy. We do have a fitness Center and pool though.

As far as SW Waterfront-

Diversity
Lots of development coming
Close to the Wharf, Navy Yard and Nationals Stadium

Dislike:
sometimes, it is a little too quiet
lack of restaurants and gas stations.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:06 PM

31,867 posts, read 34,362,591 times
$1800 is not bad at all to be two blocks away from Metro.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
$1800 is not bad at all to be two blocks away from Metro.
Yeah, but it was a steal. Normal 2br in the area is going to run around $2200. You can find a few $1900 deals though. Check out 1001 at the Waterfront.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 PM

257 posts, read 454,304 times
2 bedroom - $850 a month w/ utilities
Fairmont Heights, MD right on the border of DC/MD

About a 4 or 5 minute walk to Deanwood metro station on the Orange line.

Dislike: There is some crime on the DC side but still safer than some parts of NW, not much to do (you gotta go to other points in PG county or Minnesota ave NE for any shopping or entertainment. A gas station, library, 7 eleven, liquor stores, and carryouts are within walking distance though.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Breathing Fire View Post
2 bedroom - $850 a month w/ utilities
Fairmont Heights, MD right on the border of DC/MD

About a 4 or 5 minute walk to Deanwood metro station on the Orange line.

Dislike: There is some crime on the DC side but still safer than some parts of NW, not much to do (you gotta go to other points in PG county or Minnesota ave NE for any shopping or entertainment. A gas station, library, 7 eleven, liquor stores, and carryouts are within walking distance though.
the gas station and library are good but multiple liquor stores is not a good thing in my experience.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:43 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,444,174 times
After tossing money into DC rent for 5 years I decided that buying looked pretty good. 3 bed, 3 bath, $2550 covers mortgage,taxes and insurance in Shaw.

Likes - Quiet street. One block from the Metro. 20 minute walk to work. 10 minute walk to U street. 5 minute walk to Logan Circle. Neighbors are nice and look out for each other. If I don't like something, I can change it. Lots of new businesses and new construction in the neighborhood.

Dislikes - Occasional drunk guy wandering around. Occasional crime, although there hasn't been an incident by me since last April. Shaw has some gentrification tensions.

Before I was paying $1,100/mo (all inclusive) in a Dupont group house with 5 other people. My girlfriend was paying $1,000 (plus utils) for a big two bedroom in Dupont. She had the best deal in all of DC.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 PM

51 posts, read 123,624 times
$1300/month 1 bdroom ground floor apt in row house in Adams Morgan. Split w/ the gf so only $650 ea, + utilities.

Love that its on a quieter street, but just a couple blocks to Adams Morgan, a block north of U street (and not too far from Local 16), maybe 5 or 6 blocks from Dupont circle, and a 15-20 minute walk to work.

A little further from the metro than I used to be (used to live across the street from the northern end of the convention center), but I still love it.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:27 PM

257 posts, read 454,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
the gas station and library are good but multiple liquor stores is not a good thing in my experience.
I I know, good thing those aren't THAT close. Like on is on Kenilworth and Eastern ave and the other is at Sheriff road and Eastern ave. Its a good walk to both of them but still close enough for a brisk walk.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,674,081 times
$2200 for a 2bed/1.5 bath townhouse in SW. I rent from a private owner, who happens to be a great landlord, so we lucked out. It's a good-sized house (~1000 sq ft), lots of light, decent neighbors, close to three metro stations, and parking isn't too bad (we each pay $150 for a private spot, but it's fairly easy to find spots on the street).

With regards to the neighborhood, I'll just ditto what ahales said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
2br/1 BA- $1800

As far as SW Waterfront-

Diversity
Lots of development coming
Close to the Wharf, Navy Yard and Nationals Stadium

Dislike:
sometimes, it is a little too quiet
lack of restaurants and gas stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC