Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 02:55 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averageperson View Post
D.C. is absolutely uneqivocally NOT a southern city.
More people with graduate degrees than almost anywhere else.
Are "Southern" and a large amount of people with graduate degrees supposed to be mutually exclusive characteristics? The Raleigh-Durham area of NC has the highest number of PhD's per capita in the nation and it's definitely Southern (although with a huge influx of transplants).

Old 01-19-2011, 05:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Such an unhealthy obsession with labels and materialism. A regional culture isn't defined by some company that makes clothes in China and may or may not be trendy in another 6 months.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:42 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times
Quote:
Man I don't know where to even place D.C., everything is messed up and mixed up.
I can honestly say idk how white people in DC dress because most of them aren't even from here.
But what I do know is the majority of them don't wear walmart clothes lol.
They shop at a lot of the same stores black people shop and and various boutiques.
Whites in D.C. don't dress southern at all, and if you be any chance meet a white kid in the suburbs that has spent sometime around black people then they'll dress the sameway we do. I saw a white guy on the orange line with solbiato on lol.
Whites in DC dress like they vote for George Bush and John McCain! The South is full of conservative red states. Whites dressing in fresh in many areas of Mo County, Howard county and most parts of PG with a lot of Whites don't really count because they are still suburban White boys and most of them usually outgrow it quickly after they graduate high school because acting too Black is a liability for Whites past a certain age in the conservative DC area where as it is normal in other places. But in the hood in DC it is extremely rare to see a fresh non-Black dude out on the block. Where I'm from in the Bay, some of the roughest blocks and projects on the West Coast in Oakland, Richmond, Vallejo and San Francisco got fresh White, Asian, Arab, Hispanic and all types of mixed breed fools kicking it on the turf with Blacks like its nothing. Because it is nothing. This is the reason why everyone can tell I'm not a DC native because even though I dress urban and up-to-date, I am mixed and don't look like nobody out here. I'm also born and bred in a wild hood in a wild city in the wild, wild west, although it was 3,000 miles away, which is why DC or no big city scares me; every city and hood is the same on some level. Race don't matter as much where I'm from, the ghetto is diverse as hell and anybody can be slanging and banging. Parts of Philly and NYC is the same way. But DC, not so much. You know why those places are different? Because the Bay, NYC and Philly is more liberal than DC. DC is the southernmost city on the East Coast. Immediately below DC is about a thousand miles of conservative red states. VA is considered the South.

Your screen name is Crown Vic. They drive those in South Carolina and Memphis. I'm from the land of candy-painted old school Cadillacs, Impalas, Skylarks, 64's, 68' Stangs, Box Chevys, Buick Scrapers and 5.0's (like Caine Loc in Menance II Society) with gold Daytons or Vogues (That classic Cali sh*t). NYC is home of Acuras, Infinitis and Lexuses (That Mobb Deep sh*t). And fresh depends on where you're at. A lot of New Yorkers don't understand DC fresh. A lot of NYers would call you a clown for talking down on Pelle Pelle. They make $1000+ leather coats. Calling New York slow doesn't make sense because NYC is the biggest fastest pace city in America and the world and they start most fashion trends and urban cultural phenomena. I'm from the Bay and even I know that. New Yorkers don't even wear North Face anymore because DC and the rest of the country took over the trend. DC Fresh don't understand New York fresh. DC is one of the most unique cities on the East Coast because of its Southern influence and one of a kind local culture. Be proud of that. Where I'm from doesn't have a unique music genre like Go-Go. Where I'm from they push independent underground rap tapes like Crack in the 80's.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-20-2011 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 PM

104 posts, read 207,975 times
a real southern city...

MADISON, GA - Google Maps

Old 01-21-2011, 05:31 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,714,913 times
DC has no antebellum architecture either.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:12 AM

314 posts, read 759,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
DC has no antebellum architecture either.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...hite_house.jpg

Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 PM

423 posts, read 645,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Does the White House even count? It was built way before anything in the "south" was. Plus its the White House.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:03 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
Does the White House even count? It was built way before anything in the "south" was. Plus its the White House.
I'll go ahead and answer. No it so doesn't count. One monument/house doesn't make DC suddenly qualify as a city with antebellum housing.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 PM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I'll go ahead and answer. No it so doesn't count. One monument/house doesn't make DC suddenly qualify as a city with antebellum housing.
What about Georgetown, though? Lots of that housing predates the Civil War. (Note: I think antebellum housing is totally irrelevant to the discussion of whether DC is southern in 2011, but such housing does exist here!)

Old 01-21-2011, 01:46 PM

423 posts, read 645,751 times
In 2011 D.C. is northern, but with a few twists because the AA community in D.C. does have a twang in the accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC