Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:17 AM

423 posts, read 645,751 times

Advertisements

Redesigning the Metro car | The Washington Post

I think this would be the best design for them:

A mix of bench style seating and transverse.

We need to get rid off all current seating arrangement Metro is too rapid of a system to still have that 1970's commuter style seating. Less people sitting, more people standing people are lazy.

Last edited by Crown Vic...; 01-24-2011 at 06:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Where are those used already? I've been on a lot different subways and trains...and I recognize those. It's either Seoul or NYC...I just can't place which one.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Where are those used already? I've been on a lot different subways and trains...and I recognize those. It's either Seoul or NYC...I just can't place which one.
NYC......its used on the R44, R46, R68, and R68A series subway cars and they work well.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Also NYC subway cars (B division) are the same width as ours, but yet the aisle on the subway cars look and feel wider.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
R160. FIND is perhaps NYC's great innovation in modern subway car technology. Oh and longitudinal seating (at least in certain sections) would be a welcome improvement.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times
EeeeeeeeYuck! I've seen one of the newer cars they've redesigned one day on the green line, and it has blue cushioned seats like a Greyhound bus, NO carpet and the flat untextured floor is very slippery (remember people are standing up on these), and they appear very cold and frightening. It was hideous, but I did think the seats were alright, and they match the new blue seats on the metrobus, however the seats were kind of like velcro against my clothing and coat, so there is less sliding. I like the hanging handrails for people too short to comfortably reach the high rail when they're standing, so those should stay because they're convenient.

They should focus on convenience and safety mostly, and I don't see how those untextured bare floors will be safe in the winter when people are coming in from the snow. I see slip-and-falls happening all over the place, so they should keep the carpet. Also, this new car seemed to have been made with very cheap and tacky materials that wear easily. I also like the wider frame in the picture in the original post, except there aren't enough windows or seats and they face looking at the middle instead of looking the direction the train is going or its reverse.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
I think there are too many old people in DC to have less seats. in NYC, I think the time of travel is shorter, but in DC, it's fairly long. they should come up with a way to put more seats in, I think.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
EeeeeeeeYuck! I've seen one of the newer cars they've redesigned one day on the green line, and it has blue cushioned seats like a Greyhound bus, NO carpet and the flat untextured floor is very slippery (remember people are standing up on these), and they appear very cold and frightening. It was hideous, but I did think the seats were alright, and they match the new blue seats on the metrobus, however the seats were kind of like velcro against my clothing and coat, so there is less sliding. I like the hanging handrails for people too short to comfortably reach the high rail when they're standing, so those should stay because they're convenient.

They should focus on convenience and safety mostly, and I don't see how those untextured bare floors will be safe in the winter when people are coming in from the snow. I see slip-and-falls happening all over the place, so they should keep the carpet. Also, this new car seemed to have been made with very cheap and tacky materials that wear easily. I also like the wider frame in the picture in the original post, except there aren't enough windows or seats and they face looking at the middle instead of looking the direction the train is going or its reverse.
The DC area is growing too fast to hold on to the 1970's seating arrangement.
Plus carpet on a subway? Where they do that at? The carpet is always dirty.
We need to do away with carpet and change the seating. Either bench style seating or the something like the pic above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
I think there are too many old people in DC to have less seats. in NYC, I think the time of travel is shorter, but in DC, it's fairly long. they should come up with a way to put more seats in, I think.
Old people can catch Metro Access, next.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM

People on WaPo are retarded.
Bike parking? Stroller parking? WTF Metro is a urban rapid transit system not Amtrak.

All the new cars need is this:
-Bench Style seatings
-Automated Announcements
-Get rid of the carpet, ASAP
-Get rid of those low hanging rubber hand straps, I'm almost 6'1 with boots on and my head always hits them, add more vertical poles for the midgets and short people

Old 01-25-2011, 04:48 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times
I like the 70's style seating...it's efficient and fits more people than the design pictured in the original post...Twice as many people can be seated with four to a row facing one direction (as the metro currently has and should keep) rather than two facing each other. Not everyone can stand. Keep in mind there are elderly and disabled people who also use metro's services, plus all the boojays with their 5 and 6 babies. More vertical poles on every row rather than every three or four rows does seem more efficient and convenient for people who have to stand. It doesn't matter if the carpet gets dirty, these cars are cleaned, it only matters that people won't slip and fall and suffer injuries every rainy day because the floor is so flat and slippery without any texture.

And not all elderly people can get the Access van. Only a small number of people using it can fit into the vans anyway.

Last edited by Yiuppy; 01-25-2011 at 04:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC