Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:35 PM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I think the more correct term would be that there is a race and class divide in the city. And that's where it gets a little complicated. For example affluent people of all races can and do hang out in dc but there are places where affluent to poor black people hang out as well like at clubs and lounges for example.
Well I attended private Catholic schools back in the days.
Most of my fellow students came from upper middle class families.
There were some African American students but not many.

During lunch they had their own little section of the lunchroom where they would sit at.

Nobody forced them to sit there.

They all ate together because they chose to do so.

The richest student at that school was an African American.
Her family was loaded. Nationally known. Worlwide too.
Their house was HUGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,069,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Please stop trying to deny it. There is a racial divide in this city.
Yes, some of it does have to do with race, so I agree to an extent, but Majority of it has to do with Class..... trust me I see plenty of Diverse crowds running around in DC especially in the younger crowds and they all have one thing in common..... Their "Class"

Old 02-03-2011, 09:39 AM
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I think the more correct term would be that there is a race and class divide in the city.
I agree... some of it race and some of it class

Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Well I attended private Catholic schools back in the days.
Most of my fellow students came from upper middle class families.
There were some African American students but not many.

During lunch they had their own little section of the lunchroom where they would sit at.

Nobody forced them to sit there.

They all ate together because they chose to do so.

The richest student at that school was an African American.
Her family was loaded. Nationally known. Worlwide too.
Their house was HUGE.
Yeah I went to a catholic school too. The blacks kids all sat together for the most part as well. We (the black folks) called it "little Africa". But this was back in Baltimore. But this was grade school. My comment was based on adults in the city. You have plenty of transient black folk in the city so sometimes the Racial divide that black and white people from Maryland and DC are familiar aren't so prevalent to them.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:07 AM

999 posts, read 2,010,531 times
Interesting how a discussion that started out with dating in DC evolved into a discussion about race and class.

If we look at the DC dating scene, some socioeconomic classes and races have it better than others.

Who has it good?
1. White males. Racial privilege has its...uh...privileges. Everybody wants a white guy, right?

2. People with six-figure salaries. Who says money can't buy love.

3. Asian-American females. Dating Whitey is a "step up" and many white dudes can get their Asian fetish thing going on.

4. Black males (college education w/ professional career). Cream of the crop here. Unfortunately, successful black males will likely have white, Asian or Latina women as the arm candy. Black women are left in the cold.

5. White females. White girls are open to dating men of any race. Have some fun with the black dudes and Latino dudes (wink-wink). When it becomes time to settle down and think about marriage, house, kids: dump the black or Latino boyfriend and find a privileged (successful) white man. Women of color don't have this luxury.

Who suffers many lonely nights?
1. Working/Service class black males and females. Being poor and black is worst combination in US society.

2. People making poverty-level wages. Can't afford to pay for a lady's dinner? Go home alone, loser. Still live in your parent's house? Don't bother hitting on a woman.

3. Professional, college-educated black females. You know it is bad when a middle-class black woman has to settle for boring white yuppie dudes. Not enough educated black males out there.

4. Asian-American dudes. Dissed by their Asian sisters and ignored by women of different colors. They have it rough.

That's my crude summary--emphasis on the word, crude.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,714,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Interesting how a discussion that started out with dating in DC evolved into a discussion about race and class.

If we look at the DC dating scene, some socioeconomic classes and races have it better than others.

Who has it good?
1. White males. Racial privilege has its...uh...privileges. Everybody wants a white guy, right?

3. Asian-American females. Dating Whitey is a "step up" and many white dudes can get their Asian fetish thing going on.

4. Black males (college education w/ professional career). Cream of the crop here. Unfortunately, successful black males will likely have white, Asian or Latina women as the arm candy. Black women are left in the cold.

5. White females. White girls are open to dating men of any race. Have some fun with the black dudes and Latino dudes (wink-wink). When it becomes time to settle down and think about marriage, house, kids: dump the black or Latino boyfriend and find a privileged (successful) white man. Women of color don't have this luxury.

1. Working/Service class black males and females. Being poor and black is worst combination in US society.

2. People making poverty-level wages. Can't afford to pay for a lady's dinner? Go home alone, loser. Still live in your parent's house? Don't bother hitting on a woman.

3. Professional, college-educated black females. You know it is bad when a middle-class black woman has to settle for boring white yuppie dudes. Not enough educated black males out there.

4. Asian-American dudes. Dissed by their Asian sisters and ignored by women of different colors. They have it rough.

I have to cosign this one..

Old 02-03-2011, 02:35 PM
DMV

coldbliss

Quote:
lol yeah its crazy right?
Quote:
Thats all I was saying

Quote:
Who has it good?
well Class wise it would of course be the Upper class, which for the dating scene in DC would be the Yuppies & Buppies.... but Race Wise as always it would be the Upper Class White folks because of their skin color
Quote:
Well I would never go as far to say that "Everybody" does because the word "Everybody" is kind of a generalizing term and a bit to drastic.... but I get the point that your trying to make and I would say that a lot of them do though...

Quote:
True
Quote:
I've heard this one before but dont know if it's actually true so I'll just

Quote:
This would be true if we were talking about black guys in the US as a whole, but for DC in particular most of the black guys do date outside of their race a lot, it's just that they usually wound up marrying a Black women and moving out of the city into the Burbs (Affluent nieghborhoods in PG County or Moco).... In DC their are more Black on Black couples than their are Black and anything else... Now thats not to say that their aren't a fair amount of them doing it, but its just that DC is a more black on black kind of City... Baltimore I heard was a whole different story though!!!

Quote:
Yeah but in DC if you do see a white chick dating outside of her race its usually with a black guy though.... you seldemly see them with anything else..
Quote:
people with no jobs, no money, and no lives
Quote:
Agreed
Quote:
you Hit the nail on the head
Quote:
I agree, their is a shortage, but most of them usually look in all the wrong places... either that or they're just not in the right places at the right times .... in DC you very rarely see any Black girls dating white guys unless those are the only guys around.... I know tons of educated Black girls that went to predominantly white College Universities and they all said that they started to date white guys because those were the only guys around at the school that they attended... they also say that they were tired of being single, so they just made the transition for the time being!!!

Quote:
Asian-American dudes. Dissed by their Asian sisters and ignored by women of different colors. They have it rough.
wow... maybe thats why my Asian friends barely gets any play from the ladies, but again I dont know enough about the Asians so for now Im

Quote:
lol... yeah it was quite intriguing

Old 02-03-2011, 03:32 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Yes, some of it does have to do with race, so I agree to an extent, but Majority of it has to do with Class..... trust me I see plenty of Diverse crowds running around in DC especially in the younger crowds and they all have one thing in common..... Their "Class"
But even if they're in close quarters, the different races don't interact with each other. Perfect example is Adams Morgan during the party hours and U Street and Columbia Heights....almost 24/7. So if anything, race has a LOT of influence in DC, including the dating scene. If not, tell me why do nearly all non-blacks freak out and gives the nastiest stares to me even when I dress like a "yuppie" all the while the intimidating stares from whites, Asians, and Latinos goes virtually away (at least by comparison) whenever I'm even in Arlington, along with even some smiles when I go to parts of Fairfax and westward. Seems like none of the yuppies can give a straight answer, so hopefully some of the natives can give a straight-up answer.

As I said, if you just want to see a real place where one's worth is determined by class and not race in everyday life including the dating scene, look at most of Northern VA and parts of MoCo.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:56 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
But even if they're in close quarters, the different races don't interact with each other. Perfect example is Adams Morgan during the party hours and U Street and Columbia Heights....almost 24/7. So if anything, race has a LOT of influence in DC, including the dating scene. If not, tell me why do nearly all non-blacks freak out and gives the nastiest stares to me even when I dress like a "yuppie" all the while the intimidating stares from whites, Asians, and Latinos goes virtually away (at least by comparison) whenever I'm even in Arlington, along with even some smiles when I go to parts of Fairfax and westward. Seems like none of the yuppies can give a straight answer, so hopefully some of the natives can give a straight-up answer.

As I said, if you just want to see a real place where one's worth is determined by class and not race in everyday life including the dating scene, look at most of Northern VA and parts of MoCo.
So everyone in this world is a racist now? Haha. Great post. Way to be ignorant and judge those you don't know.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:16 PM
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post

WOW, thats weird, because when ever I Hang out in Adams Morgan all I see is a bunch of mixing of different crowds.... sure theres still a fair amount of racial divide, but then again no city is completely integrated with one another... Matter of fact the last time I was in Adams Morgan some White guy just willingly invited me and my friends to some party he was having that night just by randomly walking up and talking to us for a few seconds .... that kind of thing actually happens quite often as well as White, Asian, Indian, and Latina woman all approaching my friends and I to get us to come and hang out with them and we do not Discriminate, so we were all down for the cause

Although, I am not exactly sure why you were getting strange looks from ppl in CH, but U St on the other hand I would admit has always been "Black Central" of DC... it always have been and always will be, so I can see ur case for racial divide their.... an even though CH is predominantly Blk with a fair share of Hispanics and a few whites it usually gets fairly mixed in racially Nightlife wise... but then again everybody has different experiences .... Your actually right about Moco though and I'll even add in most of Maryland in that case... Maryland IMO seems to be a lot more racially integrated than the DC itself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC