Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM

6 posts, read 25,791 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm moving to D.C. next month and am apartment searching right now. I'm looking at a few places owned by Daro Realty, which I've read some horrible things about in my research. Curious about people's experiences with Daro-owned buildings. Are they really that bad a management company, or is the negative feedback the exception and not the norm? Would love to hear both positive and negative experiences. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I lived in one of their apartments in Columbia Heights about two years ago. It's the only place I've ever lived where I didn't renew my lease. Part of that was the apartment/landlord. Part of it was just the neighborhood that I didn't like.

The unit I had was spacious, and fairly cheap. But it also had *extremely* noisy steam radiators. And paper thin walls; I could hear everything from my neighbors. And not enough hot water. My building did not have management onsite but allegedly there was a maintenance person onsite. Yet maintenance requests took days to respond to, the sidewalks were never shovelled, and the hallways were never cleaned (a neighbor spilled laundry detergent shortly after I moved in. It was still there a year later). My building did not have a designated trash room. We were instructed to just pile our trash at the end of the hallway. Maintenance came by and took it out about once a week. They never exterminated. So it's no surprise that we had roaches!

I guess the bottom line is, you get what you pay for. My apartment was spacious and could easily have gone for hundreds of dollars more if it had been better cared for. I think what I got was fairly in line with the cost of my rent.

Do keep in mind, most of what you read online is the worst of the worst. Few people take the time to write compliments. Most of the apartments I've lived in in my life I've been very happy with. And yet they've all also had terrible online reviews. Also take the time to consider what the complaints are about. Oftentimes people complain about things they should have known about before they rented--like the size of the apartment, or location, etc. In my view, online reviews should be about things a prospective renter can't see for themselves--like roaches or unresponsive management or lack of hot water.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:46 PM

6 posts, read 25,791 times
Great, this helpful, thanks. It does seem as though most of the Daro complaints are aimed at the management company itself, kind of in line with what you experienced. So that's something I'm definitely going to keep in mind.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:05 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
I lived in small building in Cleveland Park managed by Daro. I thought they did a splendid job. The process of getting the place was done very smoothly, the resident Super was a true gentlemen, and on the rare occassion that I needed something done, they moved right on it.

For more space, we moved to the Brandywine on Connecticut Avenue and regretted it although I do not recall who managed it. I then bought a house.

I have to give Daro a thumbs up.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 AM

566 posts, read 1,556,178 times
I have only heard negative things about Daro. Look-up your building on Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. and read the reviews for a general idea on the quality of life you might expect. Daro has some historic, pre-war buildings (many with crown molding, hardwood floors, and interesting architecture), but after reading a preponderance of negative reviews I have decided that moving into one was a bad idea.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,693 times
I live at Sedgwick Gardens in Cleveland park. It has been the most horrible living experience I have encountered since moving to D.C in 2009. The following is true and ongoing:
a) the water is shut of twice a week "for repairs."
b) no one salts the sidewalk during winter. I personally know more than one tenant who has slipped and fallen.
c) the trash system is clunky and useless and requires you to take an elevator to the dingy basement if you want to recycle
d) roaches in the hallway to laundry room on friday are still lying around on Monday
e) maintenance enters your apartment without your knowledge or consent.
I could go on and on. Avoid this place at all costs. I cannot wait for my lease to expire.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:26 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Yeah, I was not to thrilled with them. I rented with them once years ago. Things have gone downhill too from my understanding. I am glad I no longer rent at all.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,208 times
Default Run from any Daro Building in DC

Hi. If you have lived in DC long enough you know what to do if you see a Daro sign outside of a building, you run.

There was a shooting at a Daro building on Connecticut Ave in late 2020. Very shady company.

LOTs of better options in DC. Daro buildings are in general, not safe. Don't fall for "our location is great"

Trust the info you find about Daro online, and look for other alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC