Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 11:58 AM

42 posts, read 303,755 times

Advertisements

My husband and new baby are moving to D.C. we are young still and want a place with lots to do - very "urban"/ hip (for lack of a better word) place that is also safe (that is really important to us). which one would you guys say is better for that? thank you!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 12:30 PM

50 posts, read 336,140 times
I've lived in both (Crystal City in Arlington and downtown Silver Spring), and I prefer Silver Spring. It felt more urban, more diverse and there was more to walk to (I had my choice of 3 grocery stores, dozens of restaurants, two great bars, the metro and a library all within a ten minute walk). All the parts of Arlington seemed more suburban to me--lots of chains, more car oriented, more yuppie. Silver Spring has that too, especially the new downtown, but there are also still little independent stores and restaurants on Georgia and Bonifant. Based on your post, though, it seems safety is a big concern and I would have to guess the crime rate is lower in most Metro-accessible parts of Arlington. Take a look at the WaPost community guide, which has a crime search: DC Living - washingtonpost.com (select crime from drop down menu and type in your community). I looked at both Crystal City and Silver Spring and there were definitely more non-theft incidents in Silver Spring. Safety for me is more a threshold issue--an area is basically safe or it isn't, and I never felt unsafe in Silver Spring.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli0808 View Post
My husband and new baby are moving to D.C. we are young still and want a place with lots to do - very "urban"/ hip (for lack of a better word) place that is also safe (that is really important to us). which one would you guys say is better for that? thank you!!
Arlington, it's not even close, but not Crystal City and the 395 corridor, rather Wilson Boulevard and the Orange Line corridor. North Arlington has better schools, higher income, greater diversity, and multiple metro stops.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:35 PM

999 posts, read 2,010,678 times
I am biased since I live in Silver Spring. I have lived in Arlington and I currently reside in downtown Silver Spring.

Here are the advantages to Silver Spring:

1. Affordability. This is a relative term since real estate prices in the DC metro region are much higher than the national average. You can buy a house for about $350-$400,000 or rent a two bedroom apartment for about $1,700-$1,900 per month. Silver Spring is a considerable bargain compared to Arlington, VA where you can't find a decent 2-bedroom apt. for under $2,000 per month or a town house for under $500,000. If you have budget concerns, Silver Spring is the wiser decision.

2. Diversity. Silver Spring has more people of different nationalities, races, and religion than any other community on the East Coast except for maybe New York City. I would guess that the racial breakdown is 40 percent white, 20 percent African-American, 20 percent Hispanic, 10 percent Asian-American, and 10 percent recent foreign immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean.

I hope you won't be offended by this statement but Arlington, VA is bleached white with people. You won't find many African-Americans living in Arlington. Many of the Vietnamese and Korean families (including their restaurants and retail shops) were gentrified out along the Wilson Blvd. corridor. Many high-end chain restaurants and condos appealing to high-income professionals took over the properties. Most of the Latino residents tend to be service workers and of questionable citizenship status.

3. Real Urban Environment. Silver Spring has a Metro rail station right in the heart of downtown and there are several bus lines that go through the area. There are plenty of grocery stores, banks, a library, a post office, two movie theaters, and plenty of restaurants within walking distance of apartment buildings and condominium/townhouse developments in the downtown area. If you live in downtown Silver Spring, you really don't need a car! But if you have a car, there are tons of county parking garages to choose from in the downtown area.

Arlington, VA has two main Metro lines (Orange and Blue). Many neighborhoods (Clarendon, Ballston, Crystal City) in Arlington are Metro rail accessible and there are many Metro bus routes. The downside is that there are not enough parking spaces for visitors or residents. Driving and parking in Arlington can be a real dramatic experience.

Disadvantages of Silver Spring:

Crime. Silver Spring has higher crime rates than Arlington, VA especially when it comes to property theft, vandalism, muggings, and assaults. However, the redevelopment of downtown Silver Spring since 2000 has brought the crime numbers DOWN considerably. There are more people activity on the streets and more lighting. Montgomery County police make their presence known at several points in the downtown area. More young families and professional singles are moving to Silver Spring and this is a sign that people are feeling more safer in the community.

The Redevelopment is Still a Work in Progress. There are some blocks in downtown Silver Spring that have vacant store lots, some buildings that are almost abandoned and some graffiti on concrete and brick walls. The redevelopment of Silver Spring is still happening and Montgomery County is working hard to bring economic revitalization to the southern end of downtown Silver Spring (next to the DC border).

On a positive note, a new concert venue called The Fillmore (owned by Live Nation) is taking over the empty space vacated by the Hechts department store on Colesville Road. Change is happening for the better in Silver Spring.

Silver Spring is the way to go. But I am sure there are some Arlington residents who would disagree with me.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:47 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Silver Spring is like an extention of DC in some regards. Arlington and hip cannot be mentioned in the same sentence! I must admit that the shopping is much better.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:00 PM

thanks guys! that was really helpful. I'll take that all into consideration. I like the look of downtown silver spring. so, I'll look into more places around there.

any other comments are more than welcome

Old 04-29-2008, 06:20 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
Considering you have a young child, I think downtown Silver Spring would be a better choice than the "hottest" part of Arlington (the Ballston-Clarendon corridor).

Incidentally, downtown Silver Spring is right next to a nice part of the District. The area of DC between about 12th Street NW and Rock Creek Park is loaded with many architecturally impressive single family detached dwellings, especially as you get over closer to 16th Street NW.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:24 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
One thing not previously mentioned is Silver Spring is also relatively close to the Beltway (less than 2 miles), so if you want to get out of the area for the day/weekend, it's not hard to hit the highway. Parts of Arlington are very close to I-66, but my understanding is that road is a pain in the butt a lot of the time. I know it is carpool-only during rush hours in the direction relative to workers working in DC.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:59 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
It also depends on the location of your job(s). If working in downtown DC then there really won't be much of a commute difference between the two. However if the job is in say Tysons Corner or Reston then Arlington will DEFINITELY be a more ideal choice. Silver Spring is a nice area however with the exception of DC and perhaps the Bethesda/270 corridor it really isn't that convenient to some of the newer job centers in the region.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:43 PM

Thanks guys! that is all very helpful.

so I-66 is a pain? hmm. I will be comming back to Delaware about once a month. would that be a pain living in Arlington then? Would Silver Spring better for that?
Also, how much better are the schools in Arlington, that is also something, now that i think about it, that would be important in a few years to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: