Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,710,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
How so? You don't think gentrification would have happened with or without Mr. Barry?
Of course, Gentrification is a market force. However, sometimes the investment of public funds either into or to support private projects can really jumpstart the growth of an area. I.E. Verizon Center on 7th street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM

688 posts, read 1,244,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
I live in Fairfax, work from home and have worked in DC. Regarding your question whether or not living here is worth it, I ask myself the same question everyday.

I moved here three years ago from Denver to be closer to my family. Although I don't hate it here, it has been a big adjustment to my lifestyle.

My pet peeve more than anything is the traffic, which is constant and brutal. It both physically and sometimes psychologically prevents me from being as social and active as I used to be in other cities. A lot of that has to do with having to utilize Rt 66.

If I end up staying here I may actually move closer to the city. Living in NOVA and trying to access DC sometimes can be maddening.

I think DC can be a cool place to live if you can make some good money and live very close to where you work. It is an interesting city.

I don't think DC is such a great place if you struggle to pay your bills and are forced to spend 2-3 hours a day in traffic.

I don't equate money with happiness but DC is one of those towns where a sufficient amount of money can make a difference in your overall enjoyment of the city.

Most people are here for their careers and many people make more money here than they could elsewhere. There are a vast number of traditional and unique opportunities here.

The way I usually describe the area to most people is that the pluses and minuses are more pronounced here. A big upside with a potentially big downside.

If all things were equal and I had the chance to make the same money in a city with less traffic, lower housing costs, and a little better climate, I would move pretty quickly.

If I end up staying, it won't be the worst thing in the world either.

Good luck.
Movedoften, you took the words right out of my mouth! Good comments.
Especially: "My pet peeve more than anything is the traffic, which is constant and brutal. It both physically and sometimes psychologically prevents me from being as social and active as I used to be in other cities".

Having lived in the area only 3 months, I see this happening to me...when I see something I'd like to do or someplace I'd like to go, the first thing I now consider is: HOW BAD WILL THE TRAFFIC BE?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,967,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
One can argue that the Barry administration helped jumpstart gentrification...
One can argue anything.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,225,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
Movedoften, you took the words right out of my mouth! Good comments.
Especially: "My pet peeve more than anything is the traffic, which is constant and brutal. It both physically and sometimes psychologically prevents me from being as social and active as I used to be in other cities".

Having lived in the area only 3 months, I see this happening to me...when I see something I'd like to do or someplace I'd like to go, the first thing I now consider is: HOW BAD WILL THE TRAFFIC BE?
That's part of why I do the reverse commute from Arlington to Fairfax. With a OTB (outside the beltway) job it'd would be easier and cheaper for me to move out to say Centreville or Fairfax but that'd seriously cut into my social life. Although there are times when I still think about moving back out there because I want a short commute. Thirty minutes is my sanity level as far as commutes are concerned and right now my evening commute is at 45 minutes.

I used to live in Oakton and lived in Arlington and my commute was about the same as it is now. However, I socialized a lot less because once I got home the idea of dealing with more traffic heading into the city on a Friday night was nauseating at best.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Of course, Gentrification is a market force. However, sometimes the investment of public funds either into or to support private projects can really jumpstart the growth of an area. I.E. Verizon Center on 7th street.
So you're saying that Barry helped the city get to where it is now because of funding for the Verizon Center? I thought the Verizon Center was already there they just called it the MCI Center?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 AM

Going back to the original topic, my short answer is yes. For me personally, there are more opportunities here in my field than back home. Moving up here was one of the best decisions I ever made.

They say Columbus, GA always sucks you back in if you're born and raised there. I had tried to escape before. I remember telling an acquaintance about plans to head to the beaconing bright lights of Atlanta just 100 miles up the road. I had an upcoming job interview (crappy go nowhere job so in a way its a good thing I didn't get it) in the A and was telling him the potentially good news.

"Ha! You'll be back!" He snidely remarked with his high pitched voice, despite being in a dark bar, I could see the venom dripping from his fangs. Now mind you, he'd just been chewed up and spit out by the city too busy to hate himself. So maybe there's a bit of pride involved in making things work in the DC area. A kind of a I'll show them type of mentality. I've known too many people who leave Columbus only to return home. I've promised myself that won't be me returning home with his tail between his legs.

Beyond personal pride is DC worth it though? Yes pride aside it still is. There are unique opportunities here and there's always something going on. I've been having a blast since I moved here despite some very difficult times. Are there things that I absolutely hate about living here? You better believe it. The traffic is ridiculous and the real estate is out of this world. Last summer I had a few opportunities to interview for jobs in other more affordable parts of the Mid-Atlantic and one was paying more than I make now in Pax River. I know that's kinda sorta part of the DC area but even that was just too far from adopted home.

So I say that the OP should go for it. Apply for a job first and see what happens. Just be prepared for the sacrifices that come with living in DC.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,710,180 times
Quote:
So you're saying that Barry helped the city get to where it is now because of funding for the Verizon Center? I thought the Verizon Center was already there they just called it the MCI Center?
It was the MCI center when built but was renamed in 2006. In 1997, the city invested heavily in the infrastructure on and around 7th street, including the metro stop to the tune of about $210 Million, as part of the agreement to have the MCI Center built. The idea was that it would spur development along that street and it did. The building of the MCI center transformed Chinatown from a slum.

The city tried the same thing with Nationals Stadium ($600 Million) but the market collapsed stalling the half street developments. It is very common for cities to use public funds to promote private development, which in turns starts the market force for gentrification. The Barry administration was no different.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 PM

468 posts, read 1,336,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Washington Bullet... please tell me how I'm a yuppie just because I'm not native. In fact, this yuppie probably makes less than you. I have a BLUE-COLLAR job. That's not being a yuppie. I work for a fire department, you know the people you call when you need help, and can't afford my own place unless I move about an hour away. I spend plenty of my time working with natives and serving natives of this city. Even though I work in troubled parts of DC with plenty of DC natives on the job with me for terrible pay, I still don't belong here. Funny that you're the only one that always disagrees with me and always has a problem with me.

How am I stupid because I think SW has potential? It's already reached it? How? I don't understand how you can say that it's better when it's full of projects and nothing to do compared to the plans for a nice waterfront with restaurants, bars and shops.

PLEASE explain yourself for once.
I do not judge people based on their occupations.
It does not matter to me how much a person makes.
I also think people in your situation should be able to afford a place closer than an hour away.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Re-elect Marion "Marry for Life" Barry. That will certainly get you started.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Really the Redskins? That's on the same scale as bars, nightlife, and shopping by being purely subjective. More so for me since I don't follow football.
The Redskins are way above all of that.

The Redskins are just as important as beathing.

Some would even argue more important.

Breathing is overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC