Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 AM
(-) (-) started this thread

690 posts, read 1,866,250 times

Advertisements

i'm not a super religious guy although i do consider myself to be spiritual. i believe but i don't force my beliefs on others basically. any way, i went to a few different churches over the last 2 months and have found that old saying to still be true somewhat...sunday mornings in america are the most segregated days of the week.
especially with regard to christianity, at least in the dc area. i won't call out any organization names but i went to a catholic churck out in montgomery located in a pretty diverse neighborhood and it was anything but. i could count the number of non whites on one hand. i went to a korean church out in va and i again, i was the only non korean/asian person in attendance. i went to a hispanic pentacostal church out in pg and it was predominantly hispanic but there were a few other minorities in the crowd which was surprising. i went to a black mega church in dc and it was 95% black although there were a few whites and hispanics in the crowd.
does race effect where you choose to pray and worship if you choose to pray or worship at all? please be honest. i guess that's why i'm not as religous as i'd like to be. do you attend a church in the dc area with a mixed congregation? not that you should force diversity down someone's throat or anything like that but i just figure that church should be the last place where race is an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:15 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Because the church has mixed their beliefs with the world culture. There is nothing Biblical about the separation of church by denomination or race or whatever. The church has become divided because our culture is divided, especially in this area. A lot churches will look at people funny if someone of a different race pops up but that's not what it's about.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
Basically culture,
My church is 99% AA. The church I grew up in (in the south) was 99% black. Every church that I have been a member of has been 99% black. Now, I have visited a few mixed denominations and attended a few a few majority white churches from time to time. I guess it is cultural. I enjoy certain types of churches and those traditions tend to appeal to other African Americans.

Btw, most churches in America are segregated.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
i won't call out any organization names but i went to a catholic churck out in montgomery located in a pretty diverse neighborhood and it was anything but. i could count the number of non whites on one hand.
That's odd. Irish Catholic here.

Generally Catholics don't choose 'pastors', etc. You get a Priest that serves a community.

Up further north, in my experience, you get a big mix of Latinos, Irish, Italian, Polish, Filipinos, and some Africans from Africa. Basically you get a big cross-section of the Catholic speaking world. I'd imagine Maryland would be the same minus the Polish and Italians.

Protestants, on the other hand, generally choose their pastors and denominations, so I could see how its possible that people could end up self-segregating themselves based on identifying with their pastors.

In Catholicism, priests come in all ethnicites, and adherents basically hear the same message regardless of what he looks like. You could 'technically' drive over to another parish to find a priest you like more. But, generally, the mix of the congregation is going to be quite similar.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM

720 posts, read 1,555,069 times
Riverdale Baptist over in Largo, md has a great congregation and a great pastor. I would say the demographic is very mixed. One of the most mixed I've seen anywhere

Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
i went to a korean church out in va and i again, i was the only non korean/asian person in attendance. i went to a hispanic pentacostal church out in pg and it was predominantly hispanic but there were a few other minorities in the crowd which was surprising. i went to a black mega church in dc and it was 95% black although there were a few whites and hispanics in the crowd.
So you are suprised that Korean, Hispanic, and Black churches are <gasp!> mostly Korean, Hispanic and Black respectively?

God help you if you venture into a synagogue.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's odd. Irish Catholic here.

Generally Catholics don't choose 'pastors', etc. You get a Priest that serves a community.

Up further north, in my experience, you get a big mix of Latinos, Irish, Italian, Polish, Filipinos, and some Africans from Africa. Basically you get a big cross-section of the Catholic speaking world. I'd imagine Maryland would be the same minus the Polish and Italians.

Protestants, on the other hand, generally choose their pastors and denominations, so I could see how its possible that people could end up self-segregating themselves based on identifying with their pastors.

In Catholicism, priests come in all ethnicites, and adherents basically hear the same message regardless of what he looks like. You could 'technically' drive over to another parish to find a priest you like more. But, generally, the mix of the congregation is going to be quite similar.
reminds me of a conversation i overhead my secretary and another worker having a few years ago. i think it's when the pope john paul had died and they were looking for his replacement. i think the news had brought up the possibility of an african man becoming the pope because the continent is one of the few places where Catholicism was growing at a large number. well these two older white women were all but ready to leave the faith during that convo. one had stated that she doesn't think she's ready for that. the other said it was outright sacrilegious to appoint a black person to that high of a position. needless to say they remained catholics since that guy didn't get that position. that really bothered me hearing that convo but at the same time i understood how that would change their world. needless to say they weren't all too happy about the outcome of the presidential race a few years later.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
So you are suprised that Korean, Hispanic, and Black churches are <gasp!> mostly Korean, Hispanic and Black respectively?

God help you if you venture into a synagogue.
i've actually been to a few synagogues.

and no gasp is needed my friend

i am just making a general observation and asking why are most churches in our area segregated? what role does color play in spirituality? i'm not condemning anyone, just want to know why this is the way it is in 2011.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
Riverdale Baptist over in Largo, md has a great congregation and a great pastor. I would say the demographic is very mixed. One of the most mixed I've seen anywhere
i have been there before. i would agree. very mixed congregation.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 AM

311 posts, read 844,170 times
it's not a "southern" thing or a "d.c." thing...MOST churches in the U.S. are segregated...

welcome to religion in the U.S.

btw I have a problem with the word "segregated"...it's not like these churches have a "whites sit here" sign propped up. These churches were founded by certain people and naturally certain people flock to these places. They go to these places for not ONLY spirtual guidance but to be around people they can relate to, people they don't have to put on a front with every day out of the week....just to have a break and simply commune with people....not hiding one's culture to fit in and be accepted........I don't understand the Asian/Latino Experience just like they wouldn't understand the African American Experience but I do know it's good to be around people you can just "talk" with about your struggles and they immediately understand..... That goes for any race, whether black, white, Asian, Latino, etc in a social environment.....and yes Church is a social environment, it's not school, it's not work...it's a place people choose to commune at just like a picnic.

It's not segregation...it's not racist...it's not evil...I mean Jesus, can groups of Minorities ACTUALLY hang out together without non-minorities/people of other races thinking that we're "segregating" them......

Just go to a church and learn from the experience...and if it doesn't fit MOVE ON....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC