Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 AM

130 posts, read 281,941 times

Advertisements

The article in the Washington Post by Paul Dugan is irresponsible in trying to suggest there are more guns in affluent, white, NW DC vs the poor SE neighborhoods.

Since D.C.'s handgun ban ended, well-heeled residents have become well armed#

I'd say there are a greater number of guns in SE DC held illegally by criminals and it may be harder for the honest poor folk to get a gun due to economics.

Liberal Gun Control is very repressive to poor communities and puts honest people at the mercy of criminals. It sends a messaage that only rich white folks have the right to protect their families.

The article also puts a target on NW communities by encouraging ciminals to rob homes where they would by likely to get a gun illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
More guns tofight crime is like giving fire fighters gasoline to fight the fires of the city.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,972 times
I am a democrat but I can't stand far left gun policies. I believe in my right to bear arms and defend my property. If you break in my house then I am not responsible for what happens.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
I am a democrat but I can't stand far left gun policies. I believe in my right to bear arms and defend my property. If you break in my house then I am not responsible for what happens.
The Supreme Court agrees with you. You can't however decide that you want to go "packing" when you're out and about in the neighborhood.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:24 AM

True but I have no quarrels with law abiding citizens packing firearms with them.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
True but I have no quarrels with law abiding citizens packing firearms with them.
We have found that unhelpful in most cities, so as a society have decided not to go packing.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:00 PM

I understand. Now, please don't think of me as a gun fanatic, cause I don't want any and everyone buying guns nor do I want people walking around with assault rifles. However, I think straight out gun bans are horrible.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHoo View Post
I'd say there are a greater number of guns in SE DC held illegally by criminals and it may be harder for the honest poor folk to get a gun due to economics.

Liberal Gun Control is very repressive to poor communities and puts honest people at the mercy of criminals. It sends a messaage that only rich white folks have the right to protect their families.
Not getting the correlation here. The Heller decision revoked a handgun ban in DC and made it legally permissable to own a firearm within the District's borders. It doesn't do anything to make guns more affordable to address the "economic" gun ownership issue you mention above. If anything, it seems that gun control is more repressive to individuals who live in neighborhoods where an illegally obtained firearm isn't so readily available.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I understand. Now, please don't think of me as a gun fanatic, cause I don't want any and everyone buying guns nor do I want people walking around with assault rifles. However, I think straight out gun bans are horrible.
I find myself more offended by gun deaths.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I find myself more offended by gun deaths.
Better to have a gun during a gunfight then to not have one though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC