Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times

Advertisements

Defunct DC nightclubs that I can think of!

Quiggleys
Chicago's
Kilamanjaro
The Ritz
DC Live
Spy Club
Z Club
RSVP
MCMXXIII
H20
The Chapter III
The Nation
The Mirage
State of the Union
Club U
The Metro Club
Republic Gardens
2K9
Bar None (Now Pure)
Club 55 (Strip Club)
The East Side
The Ascot (Still open but it's not a club)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:46 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post

If you remember this dog...

You are a real Washingtonian.
Good ole Tiny, mascot of the Washington Bullets in their golden era.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM

60 posts, read 90,781 times
Its not that I'm not a real Washingtionian, I'm just too young to remember a lot of what y'all are mentioning lol. Pretty sure if I ask my parents they would know.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM

165 posts, read 530,226 times
I can remember around 1960 when all the listings in the metro area fit into just ONE telephone book.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
If you ever were, or ever called someone, a bama.

Oh yea! I took that to NY with me, but it never caught on.

Two words: Hot Shoppes

Pappy Parker's Fried Chicken.
lol, that and the Ice Box

Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM

290 posts, read 633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Defunct DC nightclubs that I can think of!

Quiggleys
Chicago's
Kilamanjaro
The Ritz
DC Live
Spy Club
Z Club
RSVP
MCMXXIII
H20
The Chapter III
The Nation
The Mirage
State of the Union
Club U
The Metro Club
Republic Gardens
2K9
Bar None (Now Pure)
Club 55 (Strip Club)
The East Side
The Ascot (Still open but it's not a club)
Don't forget Tracks, The Cellar (on M Street), Bardo (Arlington), the ORIGINAL 9:30 Club, and now unfortunately The Brickskellar (the owners finally sold the place, closed it late last fall and it's since been replaced by a slightly updated bar named Bier Baron).

Old 03-25-2011, 03:42 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
If you remember the corner of Wisconsin & Western Avenues had two gas stations, Woodward & Lothrop and a Howard Johnsons . And the city was safe enough that at 12 years old, you could ride your bicyle down Wisconsin Avenue to Tip Top Records, Sears, the Green Stamp redemption store!

There was also a variety store around the corner that had everything. (But I'm getting old . . . don't remember the name!)

Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
If you remember the corner of Wisconsin & Western Avenues had two gas stations, Woodward & Lothrop and a Howard Johnsons . And the city was safe enough that at 12 years old, you could ride your bicyle down Wisconsin Avenue to Tip Top Records, Sears, the Green Stamp redemption store!

There was also a variety store around the corner that had everything. (But I'm getting old . . . don't remember the name!)
Grew up 5 minutes from there and used to go to HoJos for ice cream. Also used to be a strip where Borders and Maggiano's is now located. Contained Rex Liquor, an animal hospital, and a bar with a great neon sign- The **** Robin Inn. Nobody remembers it but me and at 7 years old, its not like I ever made it inside. Also a great Mid Century Modern bank- Columbia Federal Savings.

Was the variety store, Rodman's? Their first location was there until an arsonist nailed them. They are now down the street.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Grew up 5 minutes from there and used to go to HoJos for ice cream. Also used to be a strip where Borders and Maggiano's is now located. Contained Rex Liquor, an animal hospital, and a bar with a great neon sign- The **** Robin Inn. Nobody remembers it but me and at 7 years old, its not like I ever made it inside. Also a great Mid Century Modern bank- Columbia Federal Savings.

Was the variety store, Rodman's? Their first location was there until an arsonist nailed them. They are now down the street.
I do remember Rex's and the animal hospital but not the bar. But here's one for you -- on Wisconsin, between Western and Jennifer -- where Mazza is now, there was a gas station, a vacant lot and then a restaurant -- what was the restaurant called??

And the variety store I'm remembering was on Albemarle -- 1/2 a block off Wisconsin near Sears. Maybe "Jimmie's Variety" -- something like that. Seems they had everything in there! We used to ride our bikes and get fireballs and red licorice!

How about the DC transit bus barn and Paul Brothers Oldsmobile?

Boy, that part of DC is barely recognizable.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:59 PM

Okay thought of a few more: Ranger Hal, Mighty Mo's, and if you know what a Cavedweller is. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC