Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered what it would be like to visit a Synagogue, as a 'goy', a non-Jewish person.

Are 'goys' even allowed?

I read Philip Roth's 'Portnoy's Complaint', where he talked about dating 'goys'...and always liked that word quite a bit, ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Are there any contemporary megachurches in Montgomery County? The high profile ones seem to be in PG County or Virginia.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 PM
(-) (-) started this thread

690 posts, read 1,866,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've always wondered what it would be like to visit a Synagogue, as a 'goy', a non-Jewish person.

Are 'goys' even allowed?

I read Philip Roth's 'Portnoy's Complaint', where he talked about dating 'goys'...and always liked that word quite a bit, ever since.
i've known quite a few women who converted due to their husbands. i have only met 1 guy who converted due to his wife. i don't think i could do it, not for love.
i don't think sammy davis jr was born jewish. i'm pretty sure at some point he was a goy. i'd guess it'd be kinda akward until you converted. you'd probably be seen as an outsider.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:06 PM

165 posts, read 530,673 times
It all depends on the branch of Judaism. In Reformed synagogues, inter-faith/ inter-cultural marriages (or at least where the non-Jewish partner has converted to Judaism) are very common. By contrast, they are more forbidden in Conservative synagogues and completely unthinkable in Orthodox congregations.

Another way to compromise between Judaism and Christianity, is to become Unitarian / humanist (like former Senator Bill Cohen and many others have done). http://www.uua.org

Tiger Beer: The current Pope, Benedict XVI, is a native of Bavaria, Germany.

Last edited by slowlane2; 02-17-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane2 View Post
It all depends on the branch of Judaism. In Reformed synagogues, inter-faith/ inter-cultural marriages (or at least where the non-Jewish partner has converted to Judaism) are very common. By contrast, they are more forbidden in Conservative synagogues and completely unthinkable in Orthodox congregations.

Another way to compromise between Judaism and Christianity, is to become Unitarian / humanist (like former Senator Bill Cohen and many others have done). UUA: Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations

Tiger Beer: The current Pope, Benedict XVI, is a native of Bavaria, Germany.
i guess this brings up the old debate, is Judaism a religion, a race, or a culture? i guess that is where the divide is between the reformed synagogues, conserative synagogues and ultimately orthodox congregations.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
IS Mclean Bible church racially diverse?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:35 AM

165 posts, read 530,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
i guess this brings up the old debate, is Judaism a religion, a race, or a culture? i guess that is where the divide is between the reformed synagogues, conserative synagogues and ultimately orthodox congregations.
Yes- the Orthodox Jews insist that only people born to Jewish mothers can ever be Jewish.
The Orthodoxes as I understand, also pressured the Israeli government to only accept Orthodox-performed marriages, or something like that ?

In Reform congregations, you will find members named Kelly, Fitzpatrick, Olson, Romano, and every other ethnicity. Many of them, Jewish women who married non-Jews, with or without their husbands converting.

Regardless of which branch of Judaism, when attending services, you will be expected to wear a prayer shawl and a small cap on your head. Reform congregations may lend you a spare one of each.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane2 View Post
Yes- the Orthodox Jews insist that only people born to Jewish mothers can ever be Jewish.
The Orthodoxes as I understand, also pressured the Israeli government to only accept Orthodox-performed marriages, or something like that ?

In Reform congregations, you will find members named Kelly, Fitzpatrick, Olson, Romano, and every other ethnicity. Many of them, Jewish women who married non-Jews, with or without their husbands converting.

Regardless of which branch of Judaism, when attending services, you will be expected to wear a prayer shawl and a small cap on your head. Reform congregations may lend you a spare one of each.
good info. i always thought the leadership in Israel was more conservative than out and out orthodox. i could be wrong. just recall hearing some of my friends talk about it. i had a buddy that played ball over there and he said it was nothing like he imagined it would be. said tel aviv was very cosmopolitan, expensive, and trendy. he was from baltimore so he thought it would be like living in upper park heights (a traditional orthodox community).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC