Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:49 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
LOL! If so, it would be because March snow is so rare and short-lived. But check your records. See if any of your pals were complaining about 73 degrees on St. Pattie's Day this year.

You're thinking about the capital of Canada. Try one country to the south.

There's no place else to go. Just the beach, and places that are sort of similar to a beach but don't have any ocean or juice bars or popcorn stands. I could of course tell you about the beauties of the C&O, or the W&OD, or the Mt. Vernon trails here, but I figure you've got a heavy enough burden of cross-continental envy already.
Well I should tell you I left the DC area several years ago after living there for 25+ years. I know that March in snow isn't "so rare" as some of the worst snow storms I experienced growing up in the area came in March.

Yes it may have been 73 degrees on March 17 but what about a week later on March 24 when the high was 47? Again, the area doesn't see consistently warm temps until at least April..

It's obvious that you've never lived in California let alone San Diego if you think the only places there are to go "are sort of similar to a beach". After reading this line from your post I don't know why I'm even bothering responding to someone who really doesn't have a clue as to what they are talking about.

Oh yea, I lived in a house that backed up to the W&OD trail for 20 years so I know plenty about it. Cross-continental envy? Please....been there, done that.

The DC area is a fine place to live and I'd much rather live there than a lot of other places but to act like the weather doesn't suck most of the year and that it has more outdoor and natural attractions than California is a joke.

Enjoy your winter...I'll check back in January to see how your hibernation is going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:07 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
I think we need a bit more masculine energy in this thread.. I think Muffy1 might be on to something here. ...all this "beautiful this" and "pretty that" talk going around here is

Old 10-02-2015, 09:38 PM

507 posts, read 443,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I think we need a bit more masculine energy...
That would be the Washington Monument.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:27 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Yes! DC is a GREAT city!

Old 10-03-2015, 12:55 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Well I should tell you I left the DC area several years ago after living there for 25+ years. I know that March in snow isn't "so rare" as some of the worst snow storms I experienced growing up in the area came in March.
Argument from the exceptions, rather than the rule.

Quote:
Yes it may have been 73 degrees on March 17 but what about a week later on March 24 when the high was 47?
And 77 degrees on the 26th? Two can play this game, though there is no point to it. As you are not willing to admit post-move, actual winter here typically runs from mid-December to mid-February. Before and after that, highs from the southern latitudes are as apt to blow in as any sort of Canadian clipper.

Quote:
It's obvious that you've never lived in California let alone San Diego if you think the only places there are to go "are sort of similar to a beach".
I was being as serious as you were, though probably closer to an actual point. Without artificial water -- more and more of an unaffordable luxury these days -- San Diego is a tapestry of desert dry, brown, and dead.

Quote:
Oh yea, I lived in a house that backed up to the W&OD trail for 20 years so I know plenty about it.
As in it dwarfs anything available in San Diego. The so-called Silver Strand is the longest bike trail in the San Diego area, and at less than ten miles, it's a shrimp in comparison to the 44.8-mile W&OD. And the 184.5-mile C&O Trail as well, which thanks to the Great Allegheny Passage Trail can now be the start of a 330-mile trail trip all the way into Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Cross-continental envy? Please....been there, done that.
I don't think you have.

Quote:
The DC area is a fine place to live and I'd much rather live there than a lot of other places but to act like the weather doesn't suck most of the year and that it has more outdoor and natural attractions than California is a joke.
We have lots of stuff in the city itself and everything else nearby. You have beach and dead stuff. No comparison, really.

Quote:
Enjoy your winter...I'll check back in January to see how your hibernation is going.
Fine, but hey -- I can't always be online from the ski slopes.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:48 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Lol, Reynard you haven't a clue. Get out of your DC box every once in a while and you might be surprised to find you've been missing out on. I look forward to bumping this thread when its snowing in March again.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:58 PM

They aren't from the smart side, but I do have family in San Diego, so it's not like I haven't been up close and personal with the dry, the brown, and the dead. But it sounds like you yourself enjoy living in the chlorophyll-free land of dust and smoke and red tile roofs, and that's really the whole point of place anyway. So carry on out there in your love affair with sand and salt air. We back here will be busying ourselves with some of the finer things. How's your opera doing, by the way?

Old 10-04-2015, 02:37 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Argument from the exceptions, rather than the rule.

And 77 degrees on the 26th? Two can play this game, though there is no point to it. As you are not willing to admit post-move, actual winter here typically runs from mid-December to mid-February. Before and after that, highs from the southern latitudes are as apt to blow in as any sort of Canadian clipper.

I was being as serious as you were, though probably closer to an actual point. Without artificial water -- more and more of an unaffordable luxury these days -- San Diego is a tapestry of desert dry, brown, and dead.

As in it dwarfs anything available in San Diego. The so-called Silver Strand is the longest bike trail in the San Diego area, and at less than ten miles, it's a shrimp in comparison to the 44.8-mile W&OD. And the 184.5-mile C&O Trail as well, which thanks to the Great Allegheny Passage Trail can now be the start of a 330-mile trail trip all the way into Pittsburgh.

I don't think you have.

We have lots of stuff in the city itself and everything else nearby. You have beach and dead stuff. No comparison, really.

Fine, but hey -- I can't always be online from the ski slopes.
Doesn't San Diego and SoCal in general turn brown during the Winter...?

In any event, DC's definitely lush from late Spring to mid Autumn. The terrain may look mostly bare during the winter but when it snows, The City serves as an interesting winter wonderland with its snow-capped sidewalks, classical government buildings and institutions, and more colorful residential/commercial architecture. Winter may be my least favorite season but at least it's decent in DC and not as bad as Boston, Chicago, or Minneapolis.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Doesn't San Diego and SoCal in general turn brown during the Winter...?
San Diego is brown all the time. Even the ubiquitous ice plants with their desert heritage require periodic watering. Like the Disney property in Orlando, anywhere that is green in San Diego (such as the zoo) is being watered artificially. And with an enduring drought affecting the entire state, things are only going to get worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
In any event, DC's definitely lush from late Spring to mid Autumn. The terrain may look mostly bare during the winter but when it snows, The City serves as an interesting winter wonderland with its snow-capped sidewalks, classical government buildings and institutions, and more colorful residential/commercial architecture. Winter may be my least favorite season but at least it's decent in DC and not as bad as Boston, Chicago, or Minneapolis.
Yes, rather than just one, the mid-Atlantic region has all four seasons along with all those stately deciduous trees. The stuff of Currier & Ives in the winter. Occasionally, we get snowfall that will make you think you're in Manitoba, but while neither could be called common, we are more often apt to go the entire season without any noticeable snowfall at all. Winter in the DC area is typically short, mild, and merely the well-worth-it price we pay for the spectacular vistas of Fall and Spring.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:24 PM

57 posts, read 87,093 times
This year I got job offers that would have more than doubled my salary - both in cities that many would love to live in. I rejected both of them since it would have taken me out of DC.

It wasn't until I wrestled with these job offers that it dawned upon me that DC is the most beautiful city. European in design, with beautiful mountains, streams/rivers, lakes and lush valleys right outside the city. A city and a region that is steeped in American history, visible to tourists and residents alike.

I think what I love most about DC are the 4 seasons - not too hot (like Texas) or too cold (like NYC)... just enough to welcome in the Fall holidays and let you know that the mountains beckon in the Summer.

Add to this the clean streets, the vibrant population, good restaurants, hip culture and intellectual but not snooty environ, and you have the almost perfect city.

Only thing lacking in my view is tasteful development along the Potomac river - something that is being worked on right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC