Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:24 PM

39 posts, read 40,989 times

Advertisements

Designate 24/7 bus routes, especially if metro cut late night weekend service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 PM

688 posts, read 1,244,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
I used to walk from Rockville to Alexandria and back all the time. It took a while but I did it.
Love this post!!!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,419 times
I would eliminate the "lurch". What makes the DC Metro distinguishable in a negative way from so many other subway systems around the US and the world is the characteristic lurching stop which occurs about 95% of the time. I'm sure this is not entirely the fault of the train operators and is mainly the result of ridiculously antiquated equipment and tracks which force this practice on the conductors. But it has become so sickeningly ubiquitous that my stomach ALWAYS girds and braces, reflexively, before any stop, waiting for that jarring forward-and-backward motion at the end of the ride.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,667,313 times
Nope it's probably the conductor's fault. I only started noticing the awful lurching after they stopped automated train operation because of the Red Line crash. That's why I don't mind all these weekend closures... they might be a pain but at least they're following the NTSB recommendations meaning they're getting closer to finally bringing back ATO. Some day we'll finally have trains centered at the platform instead of pulling all the way to the front end.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 AM

3 posts, read 3,419 times
Thanks, Hurricane. Didn't know that, because I moved to this area a few months after the crash.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Yep. It used to be smooth as butter (for the most part) and like I said, 6 car trains would be centered on the platform.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:04 PM

468 posts, read 1,336,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Yeah, we'll most of us don't have 2 1/2 hours to commute each way to work.

Just out of curiosity, what route did you take when you did this? I've thought about doing a tip-to-tip walk of the original District's boundaries at some point (starting up near where 16th Street intersects with Eastern Ave., south to the far corner of Old Town).

Rockville Pike/Wisconsin Ave to M Street to 23rd Street down through GW toward the Lincoln Memorial then over the bridge into Arlington and Alexandria.

Depending on who I was with or what the agenda was for the day we would stop several times along the way at friend's houses, stores or parks to play pickup basketball, baseball etc...

Keep in mind this is back when one had to leave their house for everything. The only way to obtain the latest music, watch the latest movies or play the latest video games, one had to absolutely venture outside regardless of the weather conditions.

Along the way we would usually make stops in Bethesda, Georgetown, the Tower Records in GW, Pentagon City Mall, Crystal City Underground etc...

The trip would usually end up taking the entire day. I would wake up in the morning, put on my Jordans, grab my Walkman and my Soundgarden tape then head out the door.

Good Times.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 PM

haha a cassette walkman, that's old school

Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,546,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
haha a cassette walkman, that's old school
i still have boxes of old mix tapes I'd made for my Walkman. Lots of techno and 90s alt-stuff. I keep thinking that one of these days i'm going to convert some of them to digital, but in the back of my mind I'm pretty sure I know that it will never happen...

Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,144,653 times
I'd get rid of the red tile or put some sort of carpeting. Platforms get slippery as hell when it rains or snows in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC