Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:41 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,858,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
What is wrong with you? Are you just arguing just to argue because you aren't even reading anything I said. I know what an average is, but did you understand what I said about more government workers staying longer in their jobs and eventually making more money than private sector workers. If a worker in the private sector stayed at one company for a lot of years, in most positions they would make more money than the government, but it is rare for them to stay long. In these days and times it is very rare for an individual to stay in one place because of the amount of layoffs, transfers, and other factors that lead people to change jobs. With that said, there are going to be more government workers that make more money than them because they have stayed long enough for their salary to increase. But if you compare the AVERAGE of employees in the government who work the same position in the private sector, who work in the same area and who have the same amount of experience, then you would have more compelling results. Taking the average of all the workers in a certain field doesn't prove anything when there are other factors that contribute to their salary. Are you trying to say that geography has no barring on salary? What about experience?

To say the federal government budget never decreases is a complete lie. It all depends on the circumstances, but usually agencies and programs that have a high priority are not affected as much. I mean would you want them to shut down the Department of Defense permanently? These are essential jobs, so of course you have to maintain a certain level of funding but even the DoD has had programs cut.

And to answer your question AGAIN, which I previously stated before, I took the government job because it was more stable and provided me a better opportunity to keep a job versus losing jobs left and right. I didn't come to the government to make money. Money isn't my top priority. I have a wife and a daughter that needs their husband/father to maintain a stable job. Other people motivation is to get the money, I'm not knocking them, more power to them, probably even easier because they are single, but for me to have a family I needed stability. That's why I chose the government. Trust me, I can easily make close to 6-figures right now, but the lifestyle that comes with that is not for me.
you are contradicting yourself and your earlier post. we can agree to disagree buddy. it's all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 02:22 PM

692 posts, read 1,726,920 times
I've stayed away from this thread. But, discussing the U.S. Today findings proves little. I can list several studies that found completely different results. I'll just mention one. A professor at Georgia State University, Gregory Lewis, examined pay differentials with the private sector for state and local employees across the country in a 2009 paper. He found that state and local workers’ wages trailed that of the private sector when other factors like work experience, education, race and gender were held constant.
http://aysps.gsu.edu/files/11-10_LewisGalloway-AnalysisofPublic-PrivateWageDifferentials.pdf (broken link)

I can list several more. But most people will choose to believe the study that fits their world view.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:08 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,444,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
READING IS FUNDAMENTAL

guess you decided to forget about the folk that make 35k in the public sector and 57k in the government.
I suspect you're being purposefully obtuse, but obviously the difference between private hires ($160k median) and Government hires (57k) highlights what everyone else has been talking about.

No one is making the argument that non-profits offer competetive salaries.

Quote:
$15 an hour at 15 years old pulling in 30k a year...sure pal, i believe ya.
I annuallized the $15 an hour in my post for an apples-to-apples comparisson to the federal data. Clearly I had school obligations and that prevented me from working a full year.

If you have a hard time grasping $15/hr, then you will indeed find federal salaries to be very impressive.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:36 PM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I suspect you're being purposefully obtuse, but obviously the difference between private hires ($160k median) and Government hires (57k) highlights what everyone else has been talking about.

No one is making the argument that non-profits offer competetive salaries.

you may have forgotten but you said you find it hard to believe that a first year lawyer makes lower than 126k a year.

I annuallized the $15 an hour in my post for an apples-to-apples comparisson to the federal data. Clearly I had school obligations and that prevented me from working a full year.

If you have a hard time grasping $15/hr, then you will indeed find federal salaries to be very impressive.
funny. i do ok for myself. unlike you and many others on here, I don't need to hide behind a screen name. you are free to follow me on twitter if you really think that you can match my income level or lifestyle, god willing i have been blessed but that doesn't mean that i forget what it was like to live pay check to pay check every week. fortunately, i no longer derive my income from 1 employer. Doesn't matter if I pull in $20k, $200k, or $2M a year. Perhaps your response perfectly illustrates why many private sector employees have a hard time empathizing for the elite white collar federal employee who thinks that $15 per hour is something to laugh at.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:38 PM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
I've stayed away from this thread. But, discussing the U.S. Today findings proves little. I can list several studies that found completely different results. I'll just mention one. A professor at Georgia State University, Gregory Lewis, examined pay differentials with the private sector for state and local employees across the country in a 2009 paper. He found that state and local workers’ wages trailed that of the private sector when other factors like work experience, education, race and gender were held constant.
http://aysps.gsu.edu/files/11-10_LewisGalloway-AnalysisofPublic-PrivateWageDifferentials.pdf (broken link)

I can list several more. But most people will choose to believe the study that fits their world view.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
you may have forgotten but you said you find it hard to believe that a first year lawyer makes lower than 126k a year.
Actually, this is exactly what I posted.

"Sure there are lawyers peppered across the country who earn the average $126k or less, but I don't personally know a single first year lawyer who made that little, let alone a skilled lawyer with experience."

Quote:
funny. i do ok for myself. unlike you and many others on here, I don't need to hide behind a screen name. you are free to follow me on twitter if you really think that you can match my income level or lifestyle, god willing i have been blessed but that doesn't mean that i forget what it was like to live pay check to pay check every week.
Charlie Sheen... is that you?

Quote:
Perhaps your response perfectly illustrates why many private sector employees have a hard time empathizing for the elite white collar federal employee who thinks that $15 per hour is something to laugh at.
Oh, I'm not a federal employee. I couldn't afford to be.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,591,218 times
I can get by without my FERS pension, Social Security and Disabled Vets Comp for a while it's shutting down Medicare that might be the problem

Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I can get by without my FERS pension, Social Security and Disabled Vets Comp for a while it's shutting down Medicare that might be the problem
The House just passed a 2 week CR, funding the government through March 18th. Reid says they'll pass it in the Senate. I'm not sure that they'll get to a final compromise on the rest of FY11 by March 18th, but I think they'll do what they have to to avoid a shutdown.

As long as you aren't in the process of enrolling in Medicare, you shouldn't be affected much in the event of a shutdown.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,591,218 times
Quote:
The House just passed a 2 week CR, funding the government through March 18th. Reid says they'll pass it in the Senate. I'm not sure that they'll get to a final compromise on the rest of FY11 by March 18th, but I think they'll do what they have to to avoid a shutdown.

As long as you aren't in the process of enrolling in Medicare, you shouldn't be affected much in the event of a shutdown.
If the shutdown gets tied into the debt limit the whole thing could shut down.
I'm all for it, I'll eat out of dumpsters for a while it bit will cure these GOP phonies of their chronic hypocracy

Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 AM
(-)

Quote:
Actually, this is exactly what I posted.

"Sure there are lawyers peppered across the country who earn the average $126k or less, but I don't personally know a single first year lawyer who made that little, let alone a skilled lawyer with experience."

Charlie Sheen... is that you?
[b]

Oh, I'm not a federal employee. I couldn't afford to be.
i get it. you're just bitter...ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC