U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 04:40 PM

290 posts, read 517,521 times

Advertisements

Include me on the list of people who is eager to get the heck out of here and return to my home state. But I do realize that the grass is always greener and I know I will miss some aspects of DC.

So how many people regret moving away and either moved back to DC or are wanting to?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 04:56 PM

468 posts, read 1,283,387 times
I have left the area for as long as 6 months before but have always returned back here when the lease where I was staying ended.

When I travel somewhere..... DC, Md and Va always comes with me.

I am a true native in every sense of the word.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:20 AM

26,182 posts, read 38,891,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
Include me on the list of people who is eager to get the heck out of here and return to my home state. But I do realize that the grass is always greener and I know I will miss some aspects of DC.

So how many people regret moving away and either moved back to DC or are wanting to?
My mother and I moved away from DC last year. She is considering coming back, I told her if she goes back she is going SOLO. While I've had some bad things happen after leaving DC, I know in my heart it was the right move for me.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:16 AM

303 posts, read 1,513,564 times
I grew up in the area, moved away for school, then took a job on the other side of the country in an area that was not my cup of tea. Am now thrilled to have recently moved back after more than a decade away.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:05 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,193,523 times
I'm a former DC resident, now live in Europe, and I love living overseas.

However, if I had to move back to the states, Washington DC is the only place I would move back to. I loved living in DC. It's a great city.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:52 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,287,748 times
The District has a pull on most people's souls. Most people who leave the area regret it. You can't earn as much money anywhere else and people outside of the D.C. area are not interesting.

I mean if you are in a cafe in Seattle, for example, you may never hear people talk about the latest news in the interesting world of procurement.

Say you are hiking in the Rockies. How will you know whether a particular bill your office is lobbying for is going back to the subcommittee? You MAY get blackberry service while gazing at the boring sunset over the Front Range but why take the chance?

No. D.C. is the only place that any reasonable person could call home.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:41 PM

468 posts, read 1,283,387 times
The DC I grew up in no longer exists so I do not have a problem leaving the area for an extended period of time.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:54 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,775,470 times
Left for college in Pittsburgh in 2005, but had to transfer to a closer university in this area due to out-of-state expenses. Never regretted being away from DC during the time in Pittsburgh and urge to finally leave here once and for all has only grew stronger ever since I had to return.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:56 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,020,620 times
I have,

In 2006 I moved away for College looking for a change because I was tired of the DMV, but it only took me 4-6 months to realize that it was the biggest mistake that I ever made. It was my first experience of Culture Shock and it was no joke. Every time I went home for the holidays I wish I could stay their, because it felt like I was missing out on so much. The place where I went to College was so slow in pace and never up to date with anything, which other than my education was the other thing that was important to me when relocating. When the School year ended I was happier than a Homeless man that just found $2.00 and when I went Back to DC I had the biggest Kool Aid smile that you have ever seen and made a promise to never go back. Sometimes we get so tired of where we live without actually taking the time to think of how their are places that are much worse. If I ever buy a home some place else, it will only be because Im able to afford to still maintain my first home in DC, because at the end of the day when all fails, theres really NO PLACE LIKE HOME.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:53 PM

271 posts, read 543,153 times
I think "missing" this area would depend on how much you liked this area (and specifically WHAT you liked about it) and where you were moving to. I think DC is nicer than a lot of places in terms of job opportunities, international presence (almost like a mini-NYC in that regard), lots of educated people, areas of beautiful architecture, and has pretty countryside, beaches, mountains, etc. Certainly nothing many places around the country and world don't also have as well so again, it depends what you like about an area. It's also a type A, high traffic, government town so there's that obvious downfall.

Basically, if you're looking for somewhere spectacular (coastal California, major cities in western Europe, NYC, etc.) you probably won't find it here and probably wouldn't miss it much when you leave. However, I think this is still a nice area to live if you can get used to it and doesn't have the poverty and dysfunction of a lot of other areas of the country (especially older, poorer areas of the Northeast and Midwest or the isolated poverty of the rural Bible Belt and southwest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC