Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 11:49 AM

19 posts, read 45,954 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the DC area with my spouse and toddler son very soon, and I'm looking for advice on a place to live. I will be working in Crystal City, and would prefer to commute there by Metro in no more than 30 minutes. Here's what we're looking for, and I'd appreciate any suggestions:

-House in a neighborhood with a yard (doesn't have to be a large house or property)
-WALKABLE area, where there are shops/restaurants to walk to, and people actually do walk (i.e. there are sidewalks, etc)
-Must be in close proximity to a Metro stop
-We'd prefer if the commercial strip was not TOO commercial (i.e. mom and pop shops vs. big box stores)
-Fairly progressive community
-Good schools and/or thriving family scene

Our rental budget is in the $1500-$2000 per month range. When our house sells on the West Coast, we will be able to buy in the $500K-$600K range.

Thanks for any advice you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 12:41 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
I don't know sounds like you'll have to take one of those things off your list. A house within walking distance of the metro is in pretty high demand. Why not rent an apartment until your house sells? I'd also recommend living further from the metro. $1500-$2000 might get you a 1 bedroom apartment walking distance to the metro but a house? I'm not so sure unless you were further out in Maryland thereby giving you a longer than 30 minute commute. There are plenty of places that fit your description but they're not going to have houses with yards for $1500.

So you'll either have to pay more or sacrifice something on your lists until the house sells. Either way good luck and welcome.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times
$2000 a month can get you a 2 bedroom apartment in Crystal City and you won't have to commute at all.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM

In Crystal City? I don't know. Seems like $2500 would be the going rate for a 2 bedroom in Crystal City.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
In Crystal City? I don't know. Seems like $2500 would be the going rate for a 2 bedroom in Crystal City.
Well maybe not directly by the metro but about 5-10 minutes away. You should be able to find a 2br for under $2000. My roommate and I considered moving to that area last year but neither of us wanted to leave the District. It is more convenient to live close to work in my opinion. I did the suburb thingy already. While I miss not having a yard and such. I don't miss 35-40 minutes in my truck.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 PM

For me Arlington is more about lifestyle. My commute to work would be much shorter if I were to move out to Centreville or Chantilly. The commute to other stuff in my life not so short.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:00 PM

But yeah directly in Crystal City is super expensive. The only way to get a 2 bedroom for under $2K in that part of Arlington isn't going to happen unless one is NOT walking distance to the metro. Now one idea is using the VRE train to get to work.

Rail service in Virginia - VRE

Burke is like a 35 minute ride to the Crystal City station. This only works if you have a regular 9-5 schedule though. You could just drive to the VRE station and take the train from there. Something to consider.

Burke is much cheaper than Crystal City. I always recommend Burke for raising families. I just like the pleasant vibe there. Kingstowne in Alexandria is really nice too.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Terrence,
Many of the apartments in that area have free shuttles to the metro during rush hour. So if she is working anywhere close to the Crystal city Metro, she could still simply catch the shuttle there and walk. Now, if the yard is something indispensable, the VRE would very well work. Your situation is different, you work in a place with nothing to do so you live in a closer suburb to enjoy life and reverse commute. I live in the District because I work in the District. Everything that I want to do besides shopping is in the district.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Terrence,
Many of the apartments in that area have free shuttles to the metro during rush hour. So if she is working anywhere close to the Crystal city Metro, she could still simply catch the shuttle there and walk. Now, if the yard is something indispensable, the VRE would very well work. Your situation is different, you work in a place with nothing to do so you live in a closer suburb to enjoy life and reverse commute. I live in the District because I work in the District. Everything that I want to do besides shopping is in the district.
Very very true indeed. I think the VRE seems to be forgotten as an option. Taking the VRE versus the metro would allow the OP to live a little further out without sacrificing the commute.

You are right I forget about apartment complexes that have shuttles but ultimately they want to get a place that has a yard versus an apartment complex. If they own a house they can't take the apartment complexes' shuttle.

If I had a family I'd want to live in somewhere more suburban like Burke, Kingstowne, Fairfax, etc. Although Burke won't exactly solve the request for a place that's walkable though. Darn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC