Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times

Advertisements

I was a liberal arts major at a small HBCU down south. One thing, I did learn in college is how to hustle. It has helped a lot in grad school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
I was a liberal arts major at a small HBCU down south. One thing, I did learn in college is how to hustle. It has helped a lot in grad school.
i can believe you. i asked both my friends who attended hbcu's about how they made it and they both stated that there success was a result of people not really giving them a chance in the corporate world due to not being from a more prestigious university. at the end of the day they had to eat so they went out and formed their own companies both of which have turned out to be huge successes. now they are in positions to hire folks with similar backgrounds as them who might not otherwise get a chance. kinda reminds me of the tyler perry story.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 PM

536 posts, read 823,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
LOL try again. The University of Texas and Texas A&M are actually beneficiaries of the same undivided land grant -- UT gets 2/3 of the money and A&M gets 1/3. The land grant college act only specified that one school per state be devoted to agriculture and mechanical studies.

Land grant colleges are required to have programs in agriculture, and No, the University of Texas is not a land grant college.
UT gets 2/3 and A&M gets 1/3 of the Permanent University Fund. The PUF was established by the state of Texas and is not connected with the Morrill Act or the establishment of land grant colleges.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:41 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Land grant colleges are required to have programs in agriculture, and No, the University of Texas is not a land grant college.
UT gets 2/3 and A&M gets 1/3 of the Permanent University Fund. The PUF was established by the state of Texas and is not connected with the Morrill Act or the establishment of land grant colleges.
Texas is a land grant school, but it might not have received it's grant under the Morrill Act (the federal government has no significant land in Texas unlike other states), but that will mean that A&M is not either since the two were established by the same act of the Texas legislature.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
MIT is a land grant and has no agriculture program.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 AM

536 posts, read 823,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
MIT is a land grant and has no agriculture program.
You are right.
List of land grant universities here: List of land-grant universities

Massachusetts Agricultural College, now UMass, did sue to block MIT's status as a land grant institution but the court ruled in favor of MIT.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:13 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
Quote:
Funny, I have an MBA from a top 5 school and an engineering degree from a top public university. My comments were also based upon 30 years of professional experience.

My observation is that it takes able liberal arts majors about 5 years to get traction in the business world. Engineers from descent public universities start right out of school at that point.
For someone with that much education, you're not that funny.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:36 PM

361 posts, read 854,286 times
Quote:
Ultimately, it's not the education you received, but your own drive and ability that wins out. Engineers with drive and ability that get advanced degrees do extremely well. Able liberal art majors with drive eventually overcome the handicap of their degrees. Middle of the road liberal arts majors never do very well. They end up in process related dead end jobs.
I work for a major financial services company---liberal arts majors are all over the company doing everything from quantitative analysis to portfolio management to programming to marketing to HR. There are a few former engineering majors doing the quant stuff--poring over spreadsheets, doing light coding and running "models"-- because they have a reputation for being "good at math" and good at rote execution. Their jobs are nothing BUT process-oriented. Engineers in finance never seemed to get tapped for leadership positions that require communications skills and political savvy, which plays a LARGE role in rising the ladder in corporations. And when it comes to sales, most of those guys either went to Nowhere State University and many didn't even finish college. With their "drive and ability", they out-earn most of the Penn State engineers or Harvard philosophy majors in the company.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:15 PM

18 posts, read 29,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
check this out (http://osse.dc.gov/seo/cwp/view,A,1226,Q,536770,seoNav_GID,1511,.asp - broken link)

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva][SIZE=2]DC Tuition Assistance Grant Program (DCTAG)
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Myself and a group of peers were the kids that the DC Tag program was started because of us and our families'/teachers'/friends' protests... Several of us got public educations at schools in other states and it feels good this legacy goes on to this day!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:17 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
You know what the funniest thing is?

Most of the most successful people in the history of mankind were drop-outs and high school graduates.

I'm trying to make a point that what you do involves 10% of luck, 40% of hard work, 30% of innovation and research, and 20% of good woman in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC