U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 01:23 PM

5 posts, read 9,982 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to what people think of the Brookland area. I plan on moving to DC in a few months and there seem to be some reasonably priced apartments in Brookland (and to a lesser extent Mt. Rainier area).

It's a bit of a commute since my girlfriend attends AU and I'm looking to get into GW. What's the appeal to the area?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,445,449 times
I just responded to your other thread.

I like Brookland, it is one of DC's last true middle class neighborhoods. The downside is that it is kind of removed from downtown. There are also a few rough spots but overall, it tends to be quiet and relatively safe. I see a lot CU kids out walking.. It is also depends on whether you are moving East or WEST of the Redline track.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM

16,088 posts, read 38,563,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_guapo View Post
I'm curious as to what people think of the Brookland area. I plan on moving to DC in a few months and there seem to be some reasonably priced apartments in Brookland (and to a lesser extent Mt. Rainier area).

It's a bit of a commute since my girlfriend attends AU and I'm looking to get into GW. What's the appeal to the area?
Interesting you said Mount Rainier.

For those in the know, how does Mount Rainier and Brookland differ?

That MD city has just come across my radar, and trying to learn more of it.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 PM

Mt. Ranier has dang near become an Hispanic city it seems.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 AM

3,547 posts, read 7,905,225 times
Brookland pros:

-Affordable, by DC standards
-Quiet, mostly safe
-Metro red line access
-Good housing stock

Brookland cons:

-Very little commercial development/amenities
-Borders some rough neighborhoods
-Not particularly close to much--somewhat isolated

I don't know anything about Mt. Ranier, other than there's a bike trail that terminates there.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 AM

You forgot the biggest Con 14th,

Speeding Cameras.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 PM

3,547 posts, read 7,905,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
You forgot the biggest Con 14th,

Speeding Cameras.
Where are they--Michigan Ave? I never drive in Brookland...the only ones in NE I consistently watch out for are the ones on NY Ave.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:55 PM

Michigan Ave, right by Trinity and CU.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 9,982 times
@ahales, I don't mind the Hispanic population, maybe I'll be able to find some good food! And I don't have a car so I don't have to worry about the cameras.

Thanks everyone, as I said in my other post, I'm heading to the city this weekend and I'll check out some neighborhoods.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM

81 posts, read 162,665 times
This area is great, but if you're looking for an apartment you'll have to shell out about $1300 for a 1 bdr which isn't too bad for DC. You can find some cheaper ones around $800 in some of the rough spots and if they're not in rough spots you'll discover that they're pretty small with hardly any amenties. The houses are great, I like the old victorians and cape cods off of 12 st NE. Very few eateries and shopping though you'll have to go to the bordering towns in MD which all suck. The area is safe for the most part especially the areas with homeowners, it's mostly middle class as But you're in the city if you drive everything is a hop/skip/jump away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC