Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:25 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times

Advertisements

John Kennedy said Washington was a city with southern efficiency and northern hospitality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
That's EXACTLY what I felt when I visited recently. "Fake"...so sad because it didn't used to be that way. Back in the 50's, 60's and even 70's it felt almost like the start of the south; like a friendly, southern city.
Southern cities aren't really that friendly. All these people who pine for the good old days, there's still a lot of parts of DC that haven't changed that much. Just spend some time on most of Georgia Avenue, for example. I'm not sure what's so much better in strings of nail salons, fast food chains, and Chinese takeout than what's being developed, but to each their own I guess.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
...I grew-up in Washington, D.C. (the city itself and, later, during my teenage years in Arlington, VA.) But I haven't been back in years.

My feelings now...YUCK!!!!!!....yuppie hell/"They Live" (John Carpenter film) zombie town. The city is NOT friendly anymore. It seems everyone is financially well-off or TERRIBLY poor. Cold people you can't make eye contact with or speak to.

Plus, I feel it has spiritually CREEPY vibes. I can't explain that, just what I felt. Creepy, creepy place. I wouldn't live there again for ANY REASON!!!

P.S. For those who want to live in A CITY...move to New York City. It's not much more expensive than creepy D.C. but...it's NYC!!!
Your delusional, like really...DC was actually voted the happiest city in America for 2011

Happy to Be in D.C. | NBC Washington

Old 03-25-2011, 06:23 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Your delusional, like really...DC was actually voted the happiest city in America for 2011

I like DC a lot.... but what?

Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Thank you for your insult. Once again, you prove my point. Listen...I grew-up in D.C. in the 50's and the 60's. I KNOW what it's USED to be like. And I don't care what a poll says. How many times does a person have to say it's just MY opinion. Why you're so defensive and hostile I don't know. Must be the political air there. FREE SPEECH, ANYONE???

Old 04-03-2011, 01:55 PM

66 posts, read 245,943 times
I grew up on 3rd Street NW Between Delafield & Decatur, & went to Barnard Elementary from 1966-1972. None of y'all are describing the Washington DC I remember! #butthatsjustme

Old 04-03-2011, 08:11 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
FREE SPEECH, ANYONE???
No one's preventing you from sharing your opinions, but free speech doesn't protect you from responses from those who disagree with you. Free speech does work both ways.

The generalization of the entire region of 5.5 million people is ridiculous to start with--but then again, you described the city as yucky and creepy, so perhaps the problem doesn't reside with the people of DC...

Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'm not sure what's so much better in strings of nail salons, fast food chains, and Chinese takeout than what's being developed, but to each their own I guess.
Strings of nail salons, fast food joints and Chinese takeout are SO much better in NYC.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:53 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Strings of nail salons, fast food joints and Chinese takeout are SO much better in NYC.
Haha 14! good one!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Couldn't speak to the nail salons, but (non-chain) fast food joints and Chinese takeout are definitely a lot better in NYC. At least DC has some decent food trucks now, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC