Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:50 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,714,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but blacks who refuse handouts, don't ask for preferential treatment, and lift themselves by their own boots get the worse end of the deal in the city as they're seen by native blacks as uppity Uncle Toms and seen by gentrifying whites as ghetto scum or "threats" to their position. It becomes a lot worse when you're a DC native who has done the aforementiioned. Thosee individuals are truly men (and women) without a country.

this is true.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,549 times
Who wants pizza?!?!?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but blacks who refuse handouts, don't ask for preferential treatment, and lift themselves by their own boots get the worse end of the deal in the city as they're seen by native blacks as uppity Uncle Toms and seen by gentrifying whites as ghetto scum or "threats" to their position. It becomes a lot worse when you're a DC native who has done the aforementiioned. Thosee individuals are truly men (and women) without a country.
You're not bursting my bubble. I agree with what you're saying except for the white 'gentrifiers' viewing working black professionals as threats.

The DC 'gentrifying white' you're talking about is moving to a predominantly black neighborhood in DC. That's a pretty insane thing to do if they are threatened by even responsible contibuting black members of the community. Don't you think? They aren't thinking, 'i'm going to move here, because in 15-20 years, my friends and I will make the neighborhood 100% white'. That's preposterous.

In my opinion the typical 'gentrifyer', of any race, is 1) just looking for an affordable place to live and build something for themselves, and 2)would be happy with socially responsible neighbors regardless of color. The littering, publicly drunk, peeing in the streets, yelling at 5am, fighting, drug dealing, shooting stuff is what they will take issue with.

The 'uncle tom' thing has to be one of the biggest cultural mindf***s of all time. Anyone in that position has my sympathy; truly. I see that reinforced every day in my neighborhood, and it's crazy to me. I can only speak from my perspective, and I don't have any clue what it's actually like being a successful black professional, but I personally have nothing but respect for someone that walks that road in this town.

The last city paper (or maybe one before that) had a feature article on the experience of a black 'gentrifyer'. It was an interesting article, so I just thought I should give it a mention.

Last edited by KStreetQB; 03-25-2011 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 05:56 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
I read this article yesterday and said, who cares? and I rather see a cafe on the corner than a liquor store.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:06 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I read this article yesterday and said, who cares? and I rather see a cafe on the corner than a liquor store.
B--bbb--ut thats racist!!! You are taking away the culture of DC!!!

Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Rogue View Post
Good news for jmusic85,

and how is Marion Barry racist?
Because of D.C.'s massive gentrification, the COL here is damn near as high as New York City.
If Marion was white and said "We're going to stop this Hispanic influx." The media would have a fit 24/7.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
The DC 'gentrifying white' you're talking about is moving to a predominantly black neighborhood in DC. That's a pretty insane thing to do if they are threatened by even responsible contibuting black members of the community. Don't you think? They aren't thinking, 'i'm going to move here, because in 15-20 years, my friends and I will make the neighborhood 100% white'. That's preposterous.
Well considering the homogeneous racial makeup of the inner circle of many gentrifiers (ironic given how they're the biggest ravers of diversity and multiculturalism), it personally rubs me in the sense of that's what they're aiming for. It's also ironic that these same people from gentrifying neighborhoods who are in homogeneous circles talk about how places like Arlington and even neighborhoods west of Rock Creek Park are so "lily-white-and-thus-racist" because they're predominantly white, but my observation notices that the social circles in the "lily white" neighborhoods are way more diverse and multiracial (not necessarily multicultural). I'm not demanding for racial quotas for inner cliques/circles/friendships, but I find it ironically bothersome.

Quote:
In my opinion the typical 'gentrifyer', of any race, is 1) just looking for an affordable place to live and build something for themselves, and 2)would be happy with socially responsible neighbors regardless of color. The littering, publicly drunk, peeing in the streets, yelling at 5am, fighting, drug dealing, shooting stuff is what they will take issue with.
Reasonable assumptions, but for the last sentence, this is where I get personal heat from many gentrifiers. Those who are "littering, publicly drunk, peeing in the streets, yelling at 5am, fighting, drug dealing, shooting stuff" rubs off on me. We're in the United States, not Canada. We're east of the Mississippi, not west of the Mississippi. And we're in Washington DC, not Washington State. Whatever they do ruins my image by default. Whenever a gentirfier they see one of the degenerates then walk across me, I'm the one who usually gets subtly blamed and faulted. Not that I care much, but it gets annoying real quick and takes a psychological toll if done on a constant basis.

Quote:
The 'uncle tom' thing has to be one of the biggest cultural mindf***s of all time. Anyone in that position has my sympathy; truly. I see that reinforced every day in my neighborhood, and it's crazy to me. I can only speak from my perspective, and I don't have any clue what it's actually like being a successful black professional, but I personally have nothing but respect for someone that walks that road in this town.
Welcome to what I had to deal with throughout my teen years when I moved to PG County. This "ain't black enough" BS was very rampant during the late 90s and early 2000s, so God knows how worse it is now.

Quote:
The last city paper (or maybe one before that) had a feature article on the experience of a black 'gentrifyer'. It was an interesting article, so I just thought I should give it a mention.
I did read that article, and felt it only told half of the story. A lot of people on the comments felt good about the article because it only focused on the socioeconomic impact instead of the racial conflict.

At least I can take consolation in that I'll be one of the blacks who will contribute to the increasing decline of the black population in a few months, even though I moved here a year ago from somewhere else. But unlike most over blacks, I won't be priced out and sheepled [back] into PG County but in the complete opposite direction.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 PM

349 posts, read 990,221 times
I don't know why but it feels to me like there are more blacks in DC now than in 2004-2006.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:27 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
B--bbb--ut thats racist!!! You are taking away the culture of DC!!!
I know you're joking but I'm not. This has nothing to do with "who cares if there are less blacks in the city?" I'm trying to say that people need to get over about race. I personally couldn't care. Without this article, I would of never bother to notice.

Gentrification likely cause the change but who cares? People should take responsibility for their own action.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:52 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times
That's because the majority of the Black population here previously was impoverished. It's more of a class issue. They aren't being gentrified out of the city because they're Black; it's because they can no longer afford to live here. There are plenty of money-making Blacks moving in, so obviously it has nothing to do with skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: