Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,198 times

Advertisements

WOW!!! Im so inspired by this information simply because I am ex-felon living in San Antonio, TX who is less than 6 months from completing my Bachelors degree in Banking and Finance. It's been 9 years since my conviction and I have completely turned my life around. I've done good with finding employment within small business dealing with government contracts. However, I have now been unemployed for 5 months due to a lay-off and I have been unable to find employment because of my felony. I was just sharing with a close friend the other day how fustrating it is that I made a mistake almost 10 years ago and no will give me chance to put my experience and education to the test. After reading some of the responses on here, Im truly encouraged and optimistic that someone will offer me job. Thanks so much for the feedback. If anyone knows of a good company in San Antonio TX or Texas area that will hire me base on my situation please don't hesitate to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,204 times
Default In the same boat and needs a job ASAP

Simple

I have a felony theft and I have worked in IT since getting off Active Duty Army in 1998 and retire from the Guard in 2002.

Got a felony in 2007, got fired from Computer Science Corp for not reporting it but honeslty I for got to.

They also deativated my security clearance that was my bread and butter for finding a job in the maryland DC area.

My education is I have an A+,Net+,Security+,MCSE, and a BS. I can't a decent job at all. I am wondering should I lie and at least get some food on the table or tell the truth and suffer for life.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2011, 07:33 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdpeterson View Post
WOW!!! Im so inspired by this information simply because I am ex-felon living in San Antonio, TX who is less than 6 months from completing my Bachelors degree in Banking and Finance. It's been 9 years since my conviction and I have completely turned my life around. I've done good with finding employment within small business dealing with government contracts. However, I have now been unemployed for 5 months due to a lay-off and I have been unable to find employment because of my felony. I was just sharing with a close friend the other day how fustrating it is that I made a mistake almost 10 years ago and no will give me chance to put my experience and education to the test. After reading some of the responses on here, Im truly encouraged and optimistic that someone will offer me job. Thanks so much for the feedback. If anyone knows of a good company in San Antonio TX or Texas area that will hire me base on my situation please don't hesitate to share.
Banking and Finance will be extremely difficult with a felony probably more so than other industries.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lack10 View Post
Simple

I have a felony theft and I have worked in IT since getting off Active Duty Army in 1998 and retire from the Guard in 2002.

Got a felony in 2007, got fired from Computer Science Corp for not reporting it but honeslty I for got to.

They also deativated my security clearance that was my bread and butter for finding a job in the maryland DC area.

My education is I have an A+,Net+,Security+,MCSE, and a BS. I can't a decent job at all. I am wondering should I lie and at least get some food on the table or tell the truth and suffer for life.

Thanks
Any respectable company will find out quite easily about your prior felonies. You may not even get a chance to start. Best to be open. Even in DC the job market is extremely competitive. I remember following up after I submitted my resume for a finance position. The hiring manager said they received 200 apps.

Maybe stress your military service to balance out the felonies.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:49 AM

25 posts, read 66,893 times
I'm in the IT and a few years ago I got a clearance for a government job and I did have a DWI arrest which happened 5 years prior but still managed to get the job and the clearance.

As far as the field being competitive, I dont think it is if you have the right skills and experience and they are hiring in the DC area as well at NVA, so I dont think he will have a problem.. He may want to start out with a temp agency first and yes it is best to be honest about any conviction.
Moderator cut: signature removed, please read the tos

Last edited by Yac; 07-29-2011 at 01:06 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lack10 View Post
Simple

Thanks
just be honest. if i were in your shoes i'd try to get a federal job directly. a felony doesn't prevent you from getting hired federally, lying about not having one does. the fact that you have prior military experience and a computer background means that you could very easily find a government job in the dc area. most companies are only concerned with the last 7 years. with all those certifications i'm quite sure you can find suitable employment, just be honest, especially if it involves getting a clearance.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM

688 posts, read 652,203 times
Have those you with criminal histories considered petitioning the court for expungement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC