U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 9,106 times

Advertisements

Hi

I've been reading this forum for the past few months as my family and I will be relocating to Washington DC.

I wanted to get some feedback as to the livability and safety of Cleveland Park and Chevy Chase. We are focussing on those two areas as I want to live as close to work as possible without being directly downtown.

I'll be working around Capitol Hill and my kids will be going to school in the Georgetown and Cleveland Park areas.

Although the metro is a great option I'll most likely be driving as I have a parking spot at work.

I want to minimize the driving in traffic as much as possible without living in an area that is crime ridden. I am currently extremely spoiled as I have a 10 minute drive to work every day.

Any comments or other suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 PM

837 posts, read 1,680,053 times
Both are quite safe. I lived in CP for a long time. I presume you've looked into home prices, but $1MM in Cleveland park is largely entry level, and $1.5MM is probably the median. Chevy Chase is slightly more reasonably priced. Your commute will be better from CP. Both are very nice areas and considered quite upscale, your neighbors will be working professionals, world bank, treasury, people on foreign posts, etc. CP has a lot of nice things going for it - quite centrally located an easy ride to Gtown for dinner, nestled inbetween Connecticut and Wisconsin you have some nightlife nearby in either direction but the roads/feeling itself remains quite residential. The commute to work is pretty good and access to rock creek off of mass will provide you with a relatively quick route around the city.

Much of the same can be said of Chevy Chase, but I think the commute would be quite a bit more of a pain from up there (perhaps someone else can correct me if im wrong). I cant picture what route would be a good route.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:40 AM

5 posts, read 9,106 times
Thank you for the great reply. This helps tremendously.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:13 AM

6,842 posts, read 7,019,564 times
Chevy Chase is actually a good sized area that extend into both the District and Maryland. Cleveland Park is a bit more of a walking neighborhood. Both Chevy Chase and Cleveland Park suffer somewhat from a lack of diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC