Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
55k is a quite generous salary for someone living in DC and you should have plenty left over, considering the average rent in the District -- say, in a moderately safe and convenient area, for ~1500 a month for a suitable two bedroom apartment -- would only be around 30-33 percent of your income (financially ideal). Less if you want a one bedroom, say, ~1250 at just over a quarter percentage of your income. And that goes to show that you can pay up to 16 or 1700 for rent and still be in sensible financial shape. You'll be fine, and will have more options to take the metro to work and save money on gas for transportation, since you'll be closer. The traffic congestion here is hideous, btw, as you'd burn expensive gas just sitting in it going nowhere.

Not all of DC is a hustle and bustle area without a view, if that's what you mean by "not worth the rent". If anything, the places you'd find in nearby metro areas such as Silver Spring and Arlington will have a higher cost of rent if not the same as within the district; and that's before you even take into consideration that these areas do not have rent control, whereas the district does. There are areas in the district that are pleasant and just like living in the suburbs, you wouldn't be able to tell you're inside the city just a few miles from downtown at all. Research the areas and rent for the kind of place you're looking for. And having a roommate ain't all it's cracked up to be, especially in these times -- imagine your roommate not being able to pay his part of the rent for however long for whatever reason, and you having to sulk up the balance yourself.

And you wouldn't be counting anything to do your laundry, because with what you'd be making, you'll be able to comfortably afford an apartment with a washer and dryer already included in the unit. And if you're thorough, you won't have to pay utilities either, as they will be included in the rent (look for "all utilities included" in any apartment ad you see), and check the Apartment Showcase catalogs -- they're free.
do you even live in DC, let alone DMV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,154,729 times
I mean, you can find a 2 bedroom for like $1200 but you're in Southeast. $1500 is probably median range for a 1 bedroom in a good neighborhood.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:26 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,866,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I mean, you can find a 2 bedroom for like $1200 but you're in Southeast. $1500 is probably median range for a 1 bedroom in a good neighborhood.
people look down on south east but quiet as kept, i think that's where the smart money is to invest in.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,249,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
people look down on south east but quiet as kept, i think that's where the smart money is to invest in.
Perhaps. However a renter isn't thinking about investment. At least I'm not. I'm concerned about the here and now. When its time to buy then I'd think more about investment opportunities.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,866,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Perhaps. However a renter isn't thinking about investment. At least I'm not. I'm concerned about the here and now. When its time to buy then I'd think more about investment opportunities.
not necessarily. a renter (to generalize) does think about investment with regard to living situations. there are many renters who are invested in their local communities. civic and community pride isn't the sole domain of property owners.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:26 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,994,152 times
Quote:
not necessarily. a renter (to generalize) does think about investment with regard to living situations. there are many renters who are invested in their local communities. civic and community pride isn't the sole domain of property owners.
Not to mention it is fun to live in a up and coming place no matter if you're renting or owning. It's exciting to be near new shops, restaurants, parks, and other things.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:54 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,644,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
do you even live in DC, let alone DMV?
Lol. Yes I do live in the district; born, bred, and bound.. and know a good amount about the COL here at different income levels in different parts of the city. Why?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:31 AM

607 posts, read 1,217,540 times
55k is plenty for a single person in the DC area...and you won't have to live far out in Reston or Germantown. I make about the same and have a little more than double your debt. I can afford to live with a couple of roommates in Arlington, pay my bills, go out w/friends and save a little. You'll probably pay around $1,000 for rent in a shared house/apartment in a nice area near public transport whether you're in Northen VA or DC. From my experience, the only difference is you'll likely have more space in NoVA.
Congrats and good luck!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Lol. Yes I do live in the district; born, bred, and bound.. and know a good amount about the COL here at different income levels in different parts of the city. Why?
Yeah the thing is that a 2 bedroom $1500 apartment isn't likely to be in the best neighborhood in the District. Even in the suburbs $1500 won't get you very far. Besides the OP stated that he didn't want to live in the city anyways.

I recommend Arlington, Alexandria on the VA side. Silver Spring on the MD side.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I'm all for improving neighborhoods and having civic pride but I honestly couldn't recommend a lot of SE to a newcomer. I've lived in the area for nearly 3 years and still can't tell you where the nice parts of SE are. I know there are nice parts of SE but I can't tell the good from the bad so I just avoid it all together and well...recommend that to newcomers as well until you get your bearings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC