Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2011, 03:09 PM
 
Location: DMV
10,125 posts, read 13,915,844 times
Reputation: 3222

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyAmbrosia View Post
My girlfriend and I may be spending four days in DC over the summer. We will be staying near downtown, and will need to get around on Metro. But now we have been hearing about youth gangs wilding on the subway, attacking passengers. Will we be safe during day trips to the museums? Is this happening at all Metro stations? What stations should we avoid?

It's only happening at certain metro stations. I seriously doubt we'll hear on the news, "There was a brawl involving teenagers at the Smithsonian Metro Station. Sources tell us the teenagers were arguing if the National History Museum was better than the Air and Space......"

Seriously though, there is really nothing to be concerned about, that area is safe.

 
Old 04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
 
11,155 posts, read 15,651,394 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
I haven't actually been aware the DC metro is such a dangerous place. Used to live in DC a few years ago and took the metro quite often. always felt safe to me and I didn't even bother taking off my jewelry. There are tons of tourists riding the metro, at least this was my impression. I am not aware things have changed, has it really gone downhill in a few years that much?

DC metro seemed always more sterile to me than let's say NYC subway, maybe some lines are better than others... I used to take Orange/Blue/Red lines and mostly to the museums or the shopping centers.
Metro's still perfectly fine. Just one guy way overreacting to media hype and not reality.
 
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 PM
 
885 posts, read 1,543,643 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyAmbrosia View Post
My girlfriend and I may be spending four days in DC over the summer. We will be staying near downtown, and will need to get around on Metro. But now we have been hearing about youth gangs wilding on the subway, attacking passengers. Will we be safe during day trips to the museums? Is this happening at all Metro stations? What stations should we avoid?
Don't carry a camera and take pictures at the metro and act like you're a tourist and just act, walk, and talk like everyone else and "blend in" and you should be fine.

Oh, don't stare at a thug. Just look away. Like this....
 
Old 04-27-2011, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Living near our Nation's Capitol since 2010
2,218 posts, read 3,437,219 times
Reputation: 6035
I use Metro quite often and it seem perfectly safe to me. I travel Silver Spring to downtown locations and I have NEVER felt the least bit nervous. Please do not let hype make you avoid a very easy and convenient way of getting around.
 
Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 PM
 
885 posts, read 1,543,643 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I use Metro quite often and it seem perfectly safe to me. I travel Silver Spring to downtown locations and I have NEVER felt the least bit nervous. Please do not let hype make you avoid a very easy and convenient way of getting around.
You never experienced anything unsafe because you walk around like this.... and when you see thugs, you look around like this.... to avoid eye contact, and when they approach you, you do this.... and when they get closer you start to....

Nice techniques.
 
Old 04-28-2011, 02:49 AM
 
8 posts, read 17,228 times
Reputation: 15
I was just in DC a few weeks ago as a tourist. I stuck to downtown DC, the main areas, and Arlington and didn't take the Metro after 9PM (I was just back in my hotel or in a taxi at that time).

I found the DC Metro to be:
* Safe- full of tourists, military personnel, and white collar people mostly... a few rough looking types, but they don't dominate the Metro during the day. So I wouldn't worry about taking the Metro again.
* User unfriendly- hard to use ticket machines, poorly staffed.
* Dark, a bit dirty, and VERY TOMB-like. But, nonetheless, convenient.
 
Old 04-28-2011, 07:20 AM
 
Location: DMV
10,125 posts, read 13,915,844 times
Reputation: 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
Don't carry a camera and take pictures at the metro and act like you're a tourist and just act, walk, and talk like everyone else and "blend in" and you should be fine.

Oh, don't stare at a thug. Just look away. Like this....
I'm curious. What does a thug look like?
 
Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Kingstowne, VA
2,400 posts, read 3,626,656 times
Reputation: 2931
Stay off of the green line and the orange and blue lines going toward Maryland. You'll be fine. Also, just avoid getting on cars where you see crowds of rowdy teenagers, period. If they get on while you're on, get off at the next stop so that you can get into the next car over. You can also carry a stun gun, or a tranquilizer gun. Because you might not be able to get into the museums and stuff with anything resembling a gun, you should get a stunner disguised as something innocuous, such as a cell phone like this.

Also, there is no particular station because these incidents occur throughout the system while the trains are moving between areas, that's why I'm saying which lines to avoid, and you wouldn't be going in the same direction as many of the street heathens and boojay hood rats, would avoid them almost completely.
 
Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
 
5,347 posts, read 10,106,988 times
Reputation: 2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Stay off of the green line and the orange and blue lines going toward Maryland. You'll be fine. Also, just avoid getting on cars where you see crowds of rowdy teenagers, period. If they get on while you're on, get off at the next stop so that you can get into the next car over. You can also carry a stun gun, or a tranquilizer gun. Because you might not be able to get into the museums and stuff with anything resembling a gun, you should get a stunner disguised as something innocuous, such as a cell phone like this.

Also, there is no particular station because these incidents occur throughout the system while the trains are moving between areas, that's why I'm saying which lines to avoid, and you wouldn't be going in the same direction as many of the street heathens and boojay hood rats, would avoid them almost completely.

DUMB POST OF THE YEAR AWARD! Stay off the orange like going towards Maryland. So, in essence don't even get on the orange line in Vienna to say Foggy Botton because it's headed to Maryland?
 
Old 04-28-2011, 03:46 PM
 
13 posts, read 36,144 times
Reputation: 16
I want to see what you guys think about this - Say you are at a Metro station one day by yourself, just minding your own business waiting for a train, and a gang of kids approach you and try to start s***, what would you do? Run? Yell? I have no idea how I personally would react in that situation. I mean, I do have a can of mace that I keep in my pocket for situations like that, but I don't know how effective that would be in a crowd of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top