Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2011, 04:46 PM
 
11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Reputation: 4209

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Stay off of the green line and the orange and blue lines going toward Maryland. You'll be fine. Also, just avoid getting on cars where you see crowds of rowdy teenagers, period. If they get on while you're on, get off at the next stop so that you can get into the next car over. You can also carry a stun gun, or a tranquilizer gun. Because you might not be able to get into the museums and stuff with anything resembling a gun, you should get a stunner disguised as something innocuous, such as a cell phone like this.

Also, there is no particular station because these incidents occur throughout the system while the trains are moving between areas, that's why I'm saying which lines to avoid, and you wouldn't be going in the same direction as many of the street heathens and boojay hood rats, would avoid them almost completely.
You have to be joking. Do you actually ride any of those lines?

 
Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Rockville, MD
3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Reputation: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You have to be joking. Do you actually ride any of those lines?
Clearly not.

The hyperbole surrounding safety and Metro stretches the bounds of reason. Stay off the Green, Orange and Blue Lines towards Maryland? That's simply idiotic.
 
Old 04-29-2011, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Reputation: 6262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smichalska View Post
I want to see what you guys think about this - Say you are at a Metro station one day by yourself, just minding your own business waiting for a train, and a gang of kids approach you and try to start s***, what would you do? Run? Yell? I have no idea how I personally would react in that situation. I mean, I do have a can of mace that I keep in my pocket for situations like that, but I don't know how effective that would be in a crowd of people.
I'd probably try and walk away. If **** got bad and I started getting beat up, I'd at least try to push one on to the tracks. Should distract his "dawgs" long enough, although then I'd risk getting charged with some crime wish we could just have robocops that just 'neutralize' anyone who starts ****.
 
Old 04-29-2011, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Novastan
384 posts, read 1,029,330 times
Reputation: 172
Smile Hippity Hoppity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smichalska View Post
I want to see what you guys think about this - Say you are at a Metro station one day by yourself, just minding your own business waiting for a train, and a gang of kids approach you and try to start s***, what would you do? Run? Yell? I have no idea how I personally would react in that situation. I mean, I do have a can of mace that I keep in my pocket for situations like that, but I don't know how effective that would be in a crowd of people.
I would run like a bat out of hell. Who wants to get a beat down like the poor fellow at L'Enfant Plaza?

How could mace help you in an enclosed area with multiple attackers?

Just run, run like the wind.
 
Old 04-30-2011, 12:36 AM
 
999 posts, read 2,011,187 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
You can also carry a stun gun, or a tranquilizer gun. Because you might not be able to get into the museums and stuff with anything resembling a gun, you should get a stunner disguised as something innocuous, such as a cell phone like this.
A tranquilizer gun? Oh, man. This white paranoia about black kids is getting ridiculous. Can I bring a poison blow dart on the Metro? That 'ill show those crazy kids getting out of school.
 
Old 04-30-2011, 01:40 AM
 
11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
A tranquilizer gun? Oh, man. This white paranoia about black kids is getting ridiculous. Can I bring a poison blow dart on the Metro? That 'ill show those crazy kids getting out of school.
Says the guy who chose his suburban enclave specifically to avoid issues of crime.

I don't really understand why you accuse everybody who disagrees with you of being white. I may be mistaken in this, but I seem to recall yiuppy identifying him/herself as black.
 
Old 04-30-2011, 06:13 AM
 
885 posts, read 1,552,939 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I'm curious. What does a thug look like?
Someone whose appearance will most certainly trigger store owners or employees to be on allert. Common sense. Don't tell me you ain't got none.
 
Old 04-30-2011, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Reputation: 6462
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Clearly not.

The hyperbole surrounding safety and Metro stretches the bounds of reason. Stay off the Green, Orange and Blue Lines towards Maryland? That's simply idiotic.
I live off the Green Line near Branch Ave. You are taking a risk of assault or mugging if you take a Green Line train at night say after 10PM. I've seen shouting matches and menacing behavior. I'm sure though the actual risk is miniscule but it's more than comparable lines.

All in all though pretty mild to what I've seen taking the 4 and D trains from the Bronx for 7 years.

During the day though I don't think anyone would have a problem on any of those lines.
 
Old 04-30-2011, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Reputation: 6462
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
A tranquilizer gun? Oh, man. This white paranoia about black kids is getting ridiculous. Can I bring a poison blow dart on the Metro? That 'ill show those crazy kids getting out of school.
There are very few reasons for a white person to be on these lines at night. I see a couple whites on the Green Line at night past the Navy Yard but very, very few. Most of the time they are with Black partners. I think some take it all the way to Branch Ave. We still have some whites in that area and beyond.

My point is that the posters you are condemning as whites who are fearful of Blacks, may very well be Black since we are the ones who will be actually using the line at night for the most part.
 
Old 04-30-2011, 07:25 AM
 
885 posts, read 1,552,939 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There are very few reasons for a white person to be on these lines at night. I see a couple whites on the Green Line at night past the Navy Yard but very, very few. Most of the time they are with Black partners. I think some take it all the way to Branch Ave. We still have some whites in that area and beyond.

My point is that the posters you are condemning as whites who are fearful of Blacks, may very well be Black since we are the ones who will be actually using the line at night for the most part.
Why is it always black and white? Whta about Hispanics, Asians, and Arabs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top